ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Cool Skywatcher Newt+DSLR+MPCC=FOCUS Problem - SOLVED

Hey All,

Well, as some of you may know, the Skywatcher 2" Eyepiece adaptor that comes with most Newtonian Reflectors is crap, its WAY too long to be able to reach focus with a DSLR and an MPCC in place.

One of the solutions I have tried is the long primary screws and springs method (causes mirror tilt and horrible collimation issues).

Other solutions involve cutting the tube and mounting the mirror closer to the secondary - this means that 1.25" eyepieces may need an extension tube to reach focus....plus.....cutting the tube......OUCH!

I thought I might just let everyone know the EXCELLENT solution that has just arrived last week which FIXES the issue ONCE AND FOR ALL!

I bought this from Modern Astronomy in the UK after finding it on the Teleskope.de website (they wanted 39 euros for it PLUS 39 euros delivery!!!!) - see attachment!

Its a LOW profile 2" Eyepiece adaptor that REPLACES the original M54 male threaded focuser tube adaptor that comes with the scope.

I am PLEASED, no ECSTATIC to report that I put this on today, grabbed the Canon 1000D, fitted the MPCC and tested it out by pointing the scope out the window at a Church steeple 3kms away (it is RAINING after all) and WHAM! Focus is PERFECT!

I ALSO have about 25mm of IN FOCUS still left in the tube so its made a BIG difference. This is with the ORIGINAL tube primary screws in place!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!

The adaptor was 31 pounds with 10 pounds registered mail from the UK. Conversion rate means it landed here in a little over 7 days for $60 AUD!!!!

Much easier than STUFFING around with screws, hacksaws, cutting down the original focuser adaptor etc etc.....

Bernard from Modern Astronomy was EXCELLENT to deal with and dispatched it after I paid with Paypal, the next day. A1 company!

Here is the link to the page if anyone else wants to grab one

http://modernastronomy.com/accessories.html Scroll down to 2" Adapter with Compression Ring - for SkyWatcher Newtonians with M54 thread.

It shows 37 pounds but this is with VAT (their GST) Bernard doesnt charge this for international sales, hence the price drop to 31 pounds.....

One happy chappy here - hope others find this useful, all I have to do is now find some place to live where it ISNT RAINING 24 HOURS A DAY!!!!

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TSM54-2.jpg)
12.1 KB51 views
Old 04-01-2017, 05:11 AM
Gustavo (Gustavo)

Hello,

I've been looking for a solution like the one you mention. I am on the photography side of things but a relative of mine just bought a Dobson Skywatcher N 250 / 1200 and I'd like to use it for astrophotography.

I know it is a Crayford focuser on this telescope, but I am unsure if it is of the M54 type and I have had no luck finding that information on the internet (the adapter you mention says it will only work with female M54-type threads).

Do you or does anybody here know if the Dobson Skywatcher N 250 / 1200 's focuser has M54-type threads? In other words, is the adapter mentioned in this post the right one for me?

I would appreciate any answer. Of course the idea is that I would like to avoid T-ring adapters and would prefer using the full 2'' ones, but I heard about focusing issues (and the telescope I mention is a solid tube one) and then found this very nice post.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:24 PM
raymo

You are incorrect Chris; the 2" eyepiece holder is not meant to be used
with a coma corrector. The Skywatcher coma corrector incorporates a
2" eyepiece holder of appropriate length for visual, and with a 48mm T-ring
for imaging. It works out of the box without the need to fiddle about with
spacers. The 48mm T-ring allows use of full frame.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 04-01-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: more text
Old 04-01-2017, 02:30 PM
doppler (Rick)

My 10" skywatcher dob came with that low profile "screw in" adaptor ring standard. The 2" adaptor with t ring fits straight in and focuses my dslr without mods. I don't have a coma corrector so not sure how that changes things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0780.JPG)
82.5 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0781.JPG)
88.5 KB17 views