Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Exclamation Happy Birthday to us! 7 years of IceInSpace! Tell us your favourite moments..

Happy Birthday to IceInSpace!

What an amazing ride the last 7 years has been. I think back to those early days and how far we've come. How much we've grown.

I noticed some lovely comments by some people in the thread started by Mick (thanks Mick), and it got me thinking about an article idea.

Please tell us your favourite moments on IceInSpace. Your best memories. The best thing you've learned out of IceInSpace. How IceInSpace has been there for you or helped you in your astronomy journey.

My favourite responses will be collated into an article to be published next week.

I appreciate all of your support. We would not be here without you.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Osirisra (Ken)
Dead God

I think my favourite moment and also for alot of others here, would be when I got back into astronomy and I found IIS while looking at astronomy sites.

The awesome warm and friendly folks here that are always super helpful with tons of information is what makes IIS a brilliant place for anyone interested in Astronomy.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Just being here and meeting people who all share the passion of amateur astronomy is my favourite moment.

Also the knowledge base that has been established here is amazing through the talents of the members.

Happy Birthday IIS and a big thanks to Mike and Terry for making this all possible.

Cheers
Old 09-09-2011, 12:08 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Just being here and meeting people who all share the passion of amateur astronomy is my favourite moment.

Also the knowledge base that has been established here is amazing through the talents of the members.

Happy Birthday IIS and a big thanks to Mike and Terry for making this all possible.

Cheers
I agree 100%!

I am proud to be a part of this wonderful thing. It sure has grown since I joined at member 50.

Well done Mike and Terry and everyone that makes this place special.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Mick (Michael)

I’ll always remember the first day Mike, without your vision we would never have had this amazing community. The sharing of information and the wonderful images are the reason I visit nearly every day.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

My favourite moment was when I found the place .... my kind of site !!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Finding the site.... Through a google search

Posting my first, blurry eggy/starred image from a non modded dslr, and getting encouragement.

Getting to meet someone local from IIS, ( hmmm must catch up with them again soon)

Being one of the first to see birds Jupiter impact, and knowing what a special event it was. So special they turned the Hubble telescope on it. ( see it first on IIS)

Getting some of the inside tips of processing from jase, who has been most generous with his knowledge here on IIS, some of those processes are still used on each and every image I make.

The MALIN COMPETITION thread each year for which some imagers only come out of the closet for, watching Big Mike get all excited, the comeraderie as everyone says they're in as well.... The suspense as everyone gets or doesn't get THAT email,

I'm sure there's lots of others, its a journey, the discoveries, the new ideas, the sharing.....

For a community based in one of the smaller populated countries, we pull way above our weight, just have a look at the recent English competition, Aussies took more than their fair share of the podium.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:59 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
...watching Big Mike get all excited,...
Like this crocodile..?

Comet McNaught at IISAC 2007 by a country mile

It is the place to share our obsession and for me it is the place above all others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (excited-crocodile-32715-1246917566-3.jpg)
114.4 KB38 views
Old 09-09-2011, 04:09 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

happy bday iceinspace!!! My favourite moments were the Impact photos of Jupiter and the massive storm we saw on Saturn.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Happy Birthday IIS and congratulations Mike and Terry!

Favourite moments?...
  • Comet McNaught at IISAC
  • Finding out how easy astrophotography is to get into (compared to the old film days... I'd a had a big break from it in between!)
  • The swimming hole at Lostock.
  • Learning, learning, learning (from all you other IISer's)
  • Learning about drift alignment and the K3ccdTools drift tool from 1Ponders
  • Being involved in such an active online community that is at times right at the cutting edge (thinking especially of Bird's impact discoveries:thu mbsup
  • Enjoying and marvelling at the diverse interests and personalities of my fellow IISer's. ...it doesn't seem to matter what it is, someone here seems to be able to help if you have a problem! Just ask...
  • Being able to admire some really superb astrophotography, and learn from "amateur experts" while still contribute to helping others... all in the one place!
  • Having my interest in another dormant hobby (programming) rekindled - by fellow IISer's. There's been a similar development in programming languages as in astrophotography... a lot of the dull drudgery has been eliminated.
  • My first astro photo from video (with the trusty old ToUcam!).
  • My first solar images.
  • My first spectra!
  • Building my L200 spectrograph. Thanks Ken!
  • My first view through Hector.
  • Oh... here's a gem... laying on my back at the first IISAC next to Lyn and looking at the stars in between views through Hector... Someone asked Andrew a question about Argo Navis, which he duly flicked to Gary who was setting up another dob next door. While Gary was explaining the maths involved IN DETAIL Lyn whispered to me: "Is he making that up?"... Despite my years of engineering mathematics I didn't understand it all, but I knew enough to answer with confidence: "No".
Al.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
[*]Oh... here's a gem... laying on my back at the first IISAC next to Lyn and looking at the stars in between views through Hector... Someone asked Andrew a question about Argo Navis, which he duly flicked to Gary who was setting up another dob next door. While Gary was explaining the maths involved IN DETAIL Lyn whispered to me: "Is he making that up?"... Despite my years of engineering mathematics I didn't understand it all, but I knew enough to answer with confidence: "No". [/LIST]Al.
Gold
Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Me turning up at Lostock for the first astrocamp and seeing everyones jaw drop when I told them I had come from Perth

All the friends I have made on here including my best astro friend .

Being able to help people joining astronomy for the first time .

Cheers Mike and Terry for seven great years
Old 09-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Page 5 of this thread: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=56696

I still laugh!

H

Last edited by Octane; 09-09-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Paragraphing.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

LOL H yes that was gold. I liked the morning I woke up to find Anthony Wesley had imaged a comet hitting Jupiter.
The ebay add for the real mans BBQ was good too.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...&highlight=BBQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Page 5 of this thread: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=56696 I still laugh! H

Last edited by DavidU; 09-09-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 PM
FJA (Faith)
100% visual observing

Happy Birthday Ice In Space!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 AM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJA View Post
Happy Birthday Ice In Space!
Lol - faith, here's a little (and I mean little!) joke for you. The setup being that there used to be a girl on one of those quiz shows (Brucie - nice to see yer, to see yer - nice) over there many years ago called Isla St Claire.

So (this is the joke, so get ready to laugh!), guy comes on the radio (think it was DAve Lee Travis - remember him?) and says, ... "If Isla St Claire was to marry Barry White, then divorce him and marry Brian Ferry. Would she be an Isla White Ferry?"

Well, I told you it was just a little joke. But a bit funny I thought
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
mishku

New Kid on the Block

My post was initially going to be a sentimental, heartfelt thankyou to all of the lovely folks who have been so patient, kind and generous with their time and knowledge (can't tell you how much I've learnt since I've been a member of IIS), but my NEW favourite IIS moment was reading the ebay bbq bmx thread... comedy gold!!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM
atalas

Seven years already! no wonder I feel old....favorite moments...huddled around a new group of friends at the first IIS star party early hours of the morning,freezing! hehe

How has IIS helped me? I'm still here ain't I? sanity!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Bird's 2 Jupiter impacts.
Jupiter SEB disappearing.
Saturn storm.
Constant stream of the world's best astro images.
Friendly and helpful group of people and a wealth of information stored in these pages for beginners through to experts.
The amazing diversity of astro activities that people from this forum are involved in.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Inmykombi (Geoff)
They aint just doubles :o

Happy Birthday Ice in Space

I joined in October 2007 after almost losing interest in aastronomy and not being sble to find a local club to join near Gosford NSW.

I joined to sell my old scope and buy a new scope ( Meade 10 inch SCT ) and found a wealth of knowledge and help which kept me on track and interested in my hobbie.

Ice in Space has been a fantastic resource that has kept me in touch with like minded people and introduced me to a vast array of new friends that share a passion for the night Sky.
The talented people on this forum is nothing short of incredible.

Many Happy Returns IIS for many many more years to come.

Thanks Mike for your help and input too.

Well done to everybody who has helped me over the years.

woooo hoooo.

Geoffro.