Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-02-2006, 06:07 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review: Skywatcher 120mm Acromatic Refractor

Hi all.

Mick Stevens (mickoking) has kindly submitted a review of the Skywatcher 120mm Acromatic Refractor.

If you'd like to read the review, go to the IceInSpace Reviews page, or directly by clicking on the link below:

Skywatcher 120mm Acromatic Refractor

Thanks to Mick for submitting the review! Much appreciated.

If you'd like to submit a review, how-to or DIY article, or any other content for the site, please contact me.

Last edited by iceman; 22-02-2006 at 06:21 AM.
Old 22-02-2006, 10:46 PM
MarkN

Exclamation

Thanks for a most informative review Mick; just the sort of thing I've been looking for as a refractor around this size has been on the "wish list" for some time now.

Initially I was considering an 80 mm WO ZS FD but came to the conclusion that its 555 mm FL would not deliver the "bang" needed for planetary work.

Had to dismiss all thought of APO refractors of 100 mm and over on cost basis; the proposed Meade 127 might change that one though.

That left achros and 100 mm EDs. No one in either of my two astro clubs has one of the latter, so I'm left wondering whether they would pass the "bang-for-buck" test.

If you wouldn't mind a couple of queries:

Did you ever try a "minus violet" filter and if so, how did you find it?

Did you find viewing near zenith difficult? The eyepiece seems rather low in the picture.

Once again, thanks for your efforts.

Mark.
Old 22-02-2006, 11:32 PM
stinky
spamologist

Mick - great review. I have the 6" Skywatcher / Eq5 and as a beginner will chuck my two roberts worth in.

The Eq5 mount with alloy legs is only just adequate, especially with the knobs supplied - certainly I will be going to motordrive.

CA is noticable on brighter objects but do not find this remotely distracting on, eg. Saturn at the moment. (And it's bright )

Focussing is a bit coarse, but that's no doubt my novice status and I'll give THAT time.

In another thread the lattitude adjustment of the mount was raised as an issue - to get higher than ca. 30 degrees requires modification of the front lattitude screw mounting bracket - for me 26 degrees took about 10 minutes with a bench grinder and file.

The finder scope is a pain to use within 30 degrees of zenith, and in that region I get quite comfortable on the ground. At least no sore back!

I am seriously considering a Baader Fringe-Killer and would like to hear any reports on that with the Skywatchers achros.

Thanks for the informative review.

PS. by way of edit - is the scope in the photos well balanced? Mine seems to balance across the average about 80% forward of eypiece using 1 1/4 diagonal and 1 1/4 20mm eyepiece which gets real low at zenith. (Easier to lie down than reposition the OTA!)
Old 23-02-2006, 09:41 PM
MarkN

G'day stinky

Re the CA killers:

There has been an extensive debate on CN about this and general consensus was that the WO VR filter took the cake and the icing.

Six inch refractor, that's some serious piece of kit. You must get some fantastic planetary views. Someone from my astro club brought theirs in (think it was a Saxon) but the isky was crap and nothing could be seen.

Speaking of Saturn, what EPs are you using?

Mark.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:56 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

The baader fringe killer works wonders on my 6" achro for visual use.

Nice review Micko.
Old 23-02-2006, 10:44 PM
stinky
spamologist

Hi Markn - using the super 10 and 20 that came with the skywatcher plus a 6mm celestron omni. On the lookout for others (wide) and a worthwhile barlow.

Have read good reviews on the baader but can't find much info' on the WO.

Hey asimov - does the Baader help when imaging or do you use s/w?
Old 23-02-2006, 11:24 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I used to use the fringe killer a lot for imaging but I found results just as good without it. Either way, theres a lot of mucking about getting good realistic colours (on planets) My toucam is not modded so I'm not into DSO stuff (yet).

I have a IR/UV cut baader filter arriving tomorrow, hopefully this will help the achro out as far as imaging is concerned.

The baader is worth every cent I paid for it for visual though. 79 bucks from AOE at the moment.
Old 24-02-2006, 08:56 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN
Thanks for a most informative review Mick; just the sort of thing I've been looking for as a refractor around this size has been on the "wish list" for some time now.

Initially I was considering an 80 mm WO ZS FD but came to the conclusion that its 555 mm FL would not deliver the "bang" needed for planetary work.

Had to dismiss all thought of APO refractors of 100 mm and over on cost basis; the proposed Meade 127 might change that one though.

That left achros and 100 mm EDs. No one in either of my two astro clubs has one of the latter, so I'm left wondering whether they would pass the "bang-for-buck" test.

If you wouldn't mind a couple of queries:

Did you ever try a "minus violet" filter and if so, how did you find it?

Did you find viewing near zenith difficult? The eyepiece seems rather low in the picture.

Once again, thanks for your efforts.

Mark.
G,day mark,

I have never tried a minus violet filter but I will be purchasing a Baader fringe killer filter soon.

Yes the eyepiece can get a bit low but it is something I have gotten used to

I am very happy with my refractor and have no intention to part with it
Old 24-02-2006, 11:29 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Nice review Mick.

Does the Skywatcher 120 come with a collimatible lens cell?
Old 25-02-2006, 12:07 AM
MarkN

I see Ed Ting liked this scope some time ago. His review can be seen at:

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1l.html

He gave it a "recommeded" rating. Hmmm...maybe the LX90 needs something to talk to at night when all's quiet.

Mark.
Old 25-02-2006, 04:10 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders]
Nice review Mick.

Does the Skywatcher 120 come with a collimatible lens cell?
Yes

BTW I purchased my scope after reading Ed Tings review.
Old 25-02-2006, 04:18 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

By the sounds of it, the Skywatcher 120 is the big brother of the Celestron HD-102eq (also known as the CR4, I think. A nice alround little scope for starting out with). Certainly sounds and looks like they come out of the same parent factory.
Old 25-02-2006, 04:19 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I just checked Ed Tings review page There's no flies on me
Old 13-03-2007, 08:23 PM
doug mc

Hi Doug Mc here . I recently tested an orion 120mm f8.3 acro refractor, only one word , horible. C.a and sphericle aboration were so of puting. My 8 inch dob showed 5 cratorlets in Plato that night, the refractor bearly showed the centre one. I guess it pays to try before you buy. A similar sized reflector would have given much beter views.