Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 29-07-2011, 08:52 PM
desler's Avatar
desler
Registered User

desler is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Werribee, Australia
Posts: 1,053
Sculptor Galaxy

First light, with fair to poor seeing for the new observetory. Got home after work about 11.00pm. Was imaging by 11.45.

For the first time, it was just simply a case of turning everything on and away it went, Just bliss.

Unfortunately is was pretty windy, and clouds started to roll in after just 50 min of Lum in 5 min subs and 25 mintues of RGB. Darks, flats and bias frames applied. Finished in CS3. Seem to have lost some of my processing skills. But then again, it has been a while.

Comments appreciated.


Darren
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ngc-253-IIS.jpg)
190.1 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (Second-edit-crop.jpg)
190.4 KB123 views

Last edited by desler; 29-07-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29-07-2011, 11:36 PM
renormalised's Avatar
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

renormalised is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Townsville
Posts: 9,698
Nice shot, Darren
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30-07-2011, 12:04 AM
ballaratdragons's Avatar
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

ballaratdragons is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the Dark at Snake Valley, Victoria
Posts: 14,412
Wow Dazz, nice work mate.

I like the sharp detail and the colours. The contrast is just about right to bring out the dark lanes nicely without overdoing it.

Good shootin' Tex
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30-07-2011, 07:38 PM
jase (Jason)
Registered User

jase is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 3,916
Great work! Always good to hear when a plan comes together Darren. Turning gear on and things just 'click'. A solid image has been the result. Round stars that hint colour and good details. Perhaps work your data over a few times to see what its capable of. Looking forward to seeing more.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30-07-2011, 08:15 PM
CoolhandJo's Avatar
CoolhandJo (Paul)
Registered User

CoolhandJo is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,307
My dream is to be able to click and point within 15 min! Your getting close! Nice capture.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30-07-2011, 09:45 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,517
That's a nice result. Especially if you haven't been imaging for a while.

Its nice when everything works. My observatory a lot of the time is simply turn on and start. But occassionally it requires me to be a debugger and mechanic!!

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30-07-2011, 10:11 PM
mill's Avatar
mill (Martin)
sword collector

mill is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mount Evelyn
Posts: 2,922
Looking good dazza
Live is so much easier with a permanent setup
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31-07-2011, 11:30 AM
desler's Avatar
desler
Registered User

desler is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Werribee, Australia
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
Nice shot, Darren
Thanks Carl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Wow Dazz, nice work mate.

I like the sharp detail and the colours. The contrast is just about right to bring out the dark lanes nicely without overdoing it.

Good shootin' Tex
Seemed to go round and round with this one Ken. Planning on a repro in the next day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Great work! Always good to hear when a plan comes together Darren. Turning gear on and things just 'click'. A solid image has been the result. Round stars that hint colour and good details. Perhaps work your data over a few times to see what its capable of. Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks Jase. I agree, there could be more in there, Need a bit more time processing. As for the obs, I couldn't be happier! Wish I had built it sooner. Hopefully lots and lots of imaging in the years to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolhandJo View Post
My dream is to be able to click and point within 15 min! Your getting close! Nice capture.
15 mins, Takes that long for the camera to cool down, But I like the idea Dr Paul! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
That's a nice result. Especially if you haven't been imaging for a while.
Its nice when everything works. My observatory a lot of the time is simply turn on and start. But occassionally it requires me to be a debugger and mechanic!!
Greg.
It's been a crazy sort of year Greg, I had all kinds of problems with the G11, couldn't get it to guide properly, kept changing the hand controller settings and became a real nightmare! After a lot on searching and good advice, changed the little battery in the Gemini controller and he presto. It just works. Now to get my skills back to where they were, and learn some new ones, I'm very excited about the future.




Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
Looking good dazza
Live is so much easier with a permanent setup

Thanks Marty, Won't be long for you Mate!

Darren

Last edited by desler; 31-07-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31-07-2011, 01:26 PM
mill's Avatar
mill (Martin)
sword collector

mill is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mount Evelyn
Posts: 2,922
Hehe it will take a while to build my obs now
I just came out of hospital where they scraped bone and repaired my rotator cuff and also screwed a tendon back.
One torn tendon wasn't repaired because it would mean that it would take a year to heal.
Now i am in a sling for six weeks and the worst of all is that it is my right shoulder.
Lucky that my son can cover/uncover the scope for me
At least i have some time now to test the Gemini2 software
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Paul Haese's Avatar
Paul Haese
Registered User

Paul Haese is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 9,447
Nicely presented image Darren. I look forward to the rework myself. This is a target I have been meaning to re-image again. Last time the stars were all wrong and it was my first image in LRGB once I got the QSI. Thanks for the reminder. Well done on the image.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31-07-2011, 02:34 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 18,332
Wow! Great shot. The processing is really good. Not overdone but you have brought up a lot of nice details. Top work.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31-07-2011, 07:00 PM
desler's Avatar
desler
Registered User

desler is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Werribee, Australia
Posts: 1,053
Repro added

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
Hehe it will take a while to build my obs now
I just came out of hospital where they scraped bone and repaired my rotator cuff and also screwed a tendon back.
One torn tendon wasn't repaired because it would mean that it would take a year to heal.
Now i am in a sling for six weeks and the worst of all is that it is my right shoulder.
Lucky that my son can cover/uncover the scope for me
At least i have some time now to test the Gemini2 software
If you need a hand or shoulder, just give me a call mate. No problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Nicely presented image Darren. I look forward to the rework myself. This is a target I have been meaning to re-image again. Last time the stars were all wrong and it was my first image in LRGB once I got the QSI. Thanks for the reminder. Well done on the image.
Thank you Paul. Was the first Galaxy I felt really happy with a couple of years ago, then Doug woowed us all at Sv with a repro. One of my favourite objects. Look forward to seeing yours as you seem to really have your system running along very nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Wow! Great shot. The processing is really good. Not overdone but you have brought up a lot of nice details. Top work.
Thanks Marc,

How easily you forget, A couple of Months not processing things and cs3 seems all different.... I've tried several repro's today and am pleased with the results. It's good just to be out in the shed and having a play!

Darren

Hi Res : http://www.pbase.com/desler/image/13...9/original.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (fourth-IIS.jpg)
191.8 KB9 views
Click for full-size image (fourth-IIS-crop.jpg)
189.9 KB16 views

Last edited by desler; 31-07-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: link added
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31-07-2011, 08:56 PM
cventer's Avatar
cventer
Registered User

cventer is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 957
Nice Image Darren

What scope did you use for that image ? The ED120 ?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:50 AM
desler's Avatar
desler
Registered User

desler is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Werribee, Australia
Posts: 1,053
Yep, the 120 with a Wo Pflat 2 in the imaging train.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 AM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,817
Nice result there Darren.

A great target to workout your approach to processing galaxies, the colours look good, big field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desler View Post
For the first time, it was just simply a case of turning everything on and away it went, Just bliss.
Darren
........
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Ross G
Registered User

Ross G is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cherrybrook, NSW
Posts: 5,006
Great galaxy photos Darren.

Sharp, detailed and great colours.

Thanks.


Ross.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 05:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Celestron RASA
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
EQ8-R
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Star Adventurer
Advertisement
Astromechanics
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement