Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-04-2010, 11:43 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Eta Carina HaRGB - first decent QHY9 colour effort

I know, I know - another Eta
I know, I know - everything I'll be doing for a while will be first QHY9 something or other...

But, poor Brissy weather has really prolonged the learning curve getting the QHY9 integrated into my imaging routine. Friday night was very decent here, so I took the opportunity after the moon went down to take a couple of hours of RGB subs which I've later used to make a HaRGB merge effort (about 35% Ha mixed in with red channel).

Ohh - something else that was a first - used 8x50 Finderscope as a guider with Starshoot Autoguider - thanks to Brendan for making up an adaptor for me. Tracking not perfect, but quite a bit better than I usually manage I believe.

Ha data was 19x5min subs (no binning) = 95mins
RGB data was 5mins subs (no binning) = 35:25:30 mins

Processing in DeepSkyStacker (calibration), PixInsight (Deconvolution, RGB merge, curves, saturation, stars) and resized in PS.
QHY9, QHY Filters, MPCC/IDAS LPS all through 8" Newt on HEQ5Pro

Thanks for looking,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Eta-C-HaRGB-small.jpg)
198.6 KB87 views
Click for full-size image (Eta-C-HaRGB-small-crop.jpg)
125.0 KB97 views
Click for full-size image (Eta-C-Ha-data---small.jpg)
139.6 KB66 views
Old 27-04-2010, 03:36 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Nice effort indeed.

The guiding from this image size (jpg reduction) seems pretty much on the money. Im glad that the finder worked the way it should makes for a more productive night when everything is nice

Keep up the work mate youll be punching out show stoppers before too long

brendan
Old 27-04-2010, 06:30 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

That's looking good Rob. Looks like the finder/guider is doing the job.

Peter
Old 27-04-2010, 07:25 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Very nice image. Lots of detail.

Frank
Old 27-04-2010, 07:44 AM
gregbradley

That's a very good Eta image. Nicely done.

Greg.
Old 27-04-2010, 07:53 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
Nice effort indeed. Keep up the work mate youll be punching out show stoppers before too long brendan
You're a hard customer to please Brendan
Rob, this is outstanding work. A remarkable, truly superb picture. The blend is very well done as well. Keep'em coming.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:07 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

im always a "hard customer" and the hardest customer unto myself. No use just saying that everything is the best that you can get it you might as well pack up and trundle on your way I think its what makes us human, always striving to be better at what we do ... though i did say his guiding was pretty spot on
Old 27-04-2010, 08:41 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
I think its what makes us human, always striving to be better at what we do
Not me. I'm ok with average as long as I'm having fun doing it and I'm a happy camper I leave the "striving for perfection" to others anyday . It's a hobby mate
Old 27-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Tilt (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I know, I know - another Eta
Rob, firstly I honestly don't mind how many images of NGC 3372 are posted up on IIS. It's a spectacular deep space system and your images are very good.

Michael
Old 27-04-2010, 07:26 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Many thanks guys. Really appreciate the encouragement. I'm quite happy how this one cooked up in the end.

Brendan and Peter - also appreciate the assistance and input re the guider. I agree Brendan this is likely to improve productivity (less discarded subs) as well as giving (hopefully) tighter tracking.

Must admit I try not to be too obsessive with hobby and always trying to keep the fun in it. Trouble is I think we're all a bit obsessive compulsive in the first place for even trying to do this stuff......

There always seems to be some new improvement or goal to shoot for thanks to the gang here at IIS.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:05 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Rob, That is just beautiful and really love the 3rd Ha image.

Cheers Daniel.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:09 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Rob that is looking very very good
I made my own finder scope guider and yes they work wonders because the flexure is totally gone and it is very light weight
Old 27-04-2010, 08:22 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
I made my own finder scope guider and yes they work wonders because the flexure is totally gone and it is very light weight
Martin I have also turned up an adapter for my finder scope too. I tried guiding with my starshoot through the finder and it worked fine and my PHD graph RA and DEC was almost flat lining which seemed good but I have gone back to the 70mm guide scope because it shows any variations more clearly or more sensitive than guiding through the finder. Guiding through the finder will be handy for when I image through the 8" to minimise on weight.

Cheers Daniel.

Last edited by danielsun; 27-04-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:34 PM
batema (Mark)

Hi Rob,

These are great images. The weathers is absolutely terrible in the south east and since we have bought our schools QHY-9 we have been able to use it about three times in 7 weeks. You could frame that hydrogen alpha shot on its own. It looks fantastic.

Mark
Old 27-04-2010, 10:03 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsun View Post
Rob, That is just beautiful and really love the 3rd Ha image.

Cheers Daniel.
Thanks Daniel - I should have made clearer in my post the Ha data was originally collected earlier in the year (late March). I love being able to shoot Ha from the 'burbs now (or if Moon is about) with the mono CCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
Thanks Martin. I've got a long way to go to catch up with those great images you bagged at your last star party. Surprising its taken so long for many of us to cotton on to such a simple guiding solution. Who cares if it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsun View Post
Martin I have also turned up an adapter for my finder scope too. I tried guiding with my starshoot through the finder and it worked fine and my PHD graph RA and DEC was almost flat lining which seemed good but I have gone back to the 70mm guide scope because it shows any variations more clearly or more sensitive than guiding through the finder. Guiding through the finder will be handy for when I image through the 8" to minimise on weight.

Cheers Daniel.
Mmmm - I suspect I was chasing the seeing quite a bit at F10 before, but also getting flexure from cheap plastic focuser on the old guide refractor. Being as close to HEQ5 weight limit as I am, any weight saving is a bonus though. Agreed finder has to be less sensitive to guiding variations in some ways. I expect it will take a few months to really get to know best settings and possible performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
Hi Rob,

These are great images. The weathers is absolutely terrible in the south east and since we have bought our schools QHY-9 we have been able to use it about three times in 7 weeks. You could frame that hydrogen alpha shot on its own. It looks fantastic.

Mark
Cheers Mark. I've enjoyed doing Ha, but have really been hanging out to get some decent colour work done. I see the high pressure systems are inexorably rising higher on the continent now. Only a matter of weeks until we get reliable imaging weather (I hope...!). Jetstream will probably start up with a vengance then
Old 28-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Nice images Rob, you have to be happy with these. Great detail and colour.
Like you I will be revisiting all the standard targets for a while.
Old 28-04-2010, 07:34 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Thanks Doug. I had a lot of fun on this one, learning the gear and seeing deeper than ever. Looking forward to exploring the sky more this year - old friends and new.
Old 28-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Simply Stunning Rob!

All ripper shots, I even love the Ha one at the end (and I DONT like Ha as a rule!)

Fantastic results. Well done!!!

Cheers

Chris