Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Poll: IIS Almanac Questions - choose two options
Poll Options
IIS Almanac Questions - choose two options
You can only choose 2 options to vote on.

Old 24-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

IIS Almanac - quantification

Referring to my original post in reference to production of an Ice In Space "Almanac", I'm attempting to gather some figures to quantify the number of people that might:

1) contribute an image set (main astrophoto plus personal/rig image) to the almanac.

2) would be interested in purchasing a copy in reasonably short time - and what they'd feel comfortable spending.

With these figues, I'll ultimately know how many pages to shoot for, and whether we can afford to have a full double page dedicated to each member, or whether we have to bite the bullet and squish ourselves on to a single page each. The cost of the book would nearly halve if we could.

Last edited by Omaroo; 24-06-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:21 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Can't see a problem with squishing it into a single page Chris.
All of my images look best if you don't look too close at them.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:32 AM
asterisk (Geoff)

Chris

Great idea. Haven't you got enough to do?
Old 24-06-2009, 08:38 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Chris you might like to put a link in your initial post, linking to the original thread which started it all (for people coming in late on the idea).
Old 24-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Chris you might like to put a link in your initial post, linking to the original thread which started it all (for people coming in late on the idea).
Good idea Mike. They're cross-referenced now.
Old 24-06-2009, 12:47 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

nice one mate, you have this very well organised.

count me in

Old 24-06-2009, 01:04 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

I voted No for contributing an image as I am not an imager
But I voted yes in purchasing a copy
Old 24-06-2009, 08:39 PM
duncan
Duncan

Hi All,
I voted "not sure" for an image as i'm in the process of getting gear.
But i will definately buy one regardless. It would be nice to contribute though.
Cheers,
Duncan
Old 24-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Question

Almanac - an annual calendar containing important dates and statistical information such as astronomical data and tide tables.

Will this "calendar" have astronomical data too? What will/ should it have?

Furthermore, is it made for profit??
Old 24-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchilada View Post
Almanac - an annual calendar containing important dates and statistical information such as astronomical data and tide tables.

Will this "calendar" have astronomical data too? What will/ should it have?

Furthermore, is it made for profit??

"Almanac" - also: an annual reference book of useful and interesting facts. Hence the cover title: "Ice in Space 2009 Almanac". My original thought was that it may turn into a yearly offering if demand warranted it.

The book will be comprised of images of objects within our viewable sky, and will be accompanied by relevant positional data associated with those objects. Images will hopefully be unique, and possibly presented in Messier or NGC order. Instructions on imaging and processing techniques and rigs associated with the capture of said images will also be included. In this context it could easily be seen as a reference book. Do I take it that you question the validity of this?

Profit? Probably some absolutely marginal profit, yes. The site has to run somehow. I'm volunteering my editorial services to gather all the peoples' work and put it together in a design-conscious manner. Whether Mike decides to take up this offer or not remains to be seen. I'm not in it for any profit - and I'm not sure why you'd ask. Surely a small percentage of profits going to the upkeep and expansion of IIS would be seen by members as fair and quite frankly obvious.

Last edited by Omaroo; 24-06-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 25-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

I think that the outline supplied by Chris is excellent and have no problem if the project makes a profit: assuming that it is to proceed to print. Facts and figures really should only relate to the objects portrayed. The project, after all, is meant to be a portfolio of the truly excellent work being done by the very clever IIS imagers. I'm a visual observer and have no issue with imagers' work dominating content. We all should be thanking Chris for volunteering his pre-press expertise to set up and layout the project to professional press standards. I know from personal experience how time consuming that can be.
Old 25-06-2009, 08:34 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lismore Bloke View Post
We all should be thanking Chris for volunteering his pre-press expertise to set up and layout the project to professional press standards..
Thanks Chris.
Old 26-06-2009, 08:04 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I will send out an e-newsletter to all IIS members in the next few days and direct them to this thread so that more people can contribute to the poll.
Old 26-06-2009, 08:06 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Interesting idea but not my cup of tea...good luck with it!
Old 26-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
I will send out an e-newsletter to all IIS members in the next few days and direct them to this thread so that more people can contribute to the poll.
That'd be great Mike. It'll give us a far more accurate indication as to how many pages we're likely to be filling.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Can't see a problem with squishing it into a single page Chris.
All of my images look best if you don't look too close at them.
lol JJJ

Yeah if i was good enough i would share my pics for sure
Old 26-06-2009, 05:14 PM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

I say do it!
Don't doubt the idea, don't discuss the negatives....
Technology changes so fast these days that the whole concept
of IIS may not be around for another 5 years and the unselfish
efforts of the main players for the last 5 usually have gone unrecognised.

We all get something from this place, I personally would treasure having a
copy of an IIS Almanac 2009, even if it only happened once.
I was there, I was a part of it (albeit insignificant).
Great idea Chris.
My 2 cents.

Steve
Old 26-06-2009, 09:06 PM
BerrieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Yeah if i was good enough i would share my pics for sure

Jen you should try to get your shots included and share; it would be great to have them there.

Kerrie
Old 26-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Enchilada
Enhanced Astronomer

Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
"Almanac" - also: an annual reference book of useful and interesting facts. Hence the cover title: "Ice in Space 2009 Almanac". My original thought was that it may turn into a yearly offering if demand warranted it.
Just an open question. I asked only if it contained planetary ephemeris data. (Something as other Almanacs contain; I.e. "The Old Farmer's Almanac" since 1792, which has sunrise and sunset, twilights, tides, visible planets, lists of bright stars. http://www.almanac.com/extras/2009/pdf/002_09OFE.pdf

I'd be happy to provide such data if required.

Quote:
The book will be comprised of images of objects within our viewable sky, and will be accompanied by relevant positional data associated with those objects. Images will hopefully be unique, and possibly presented in Messier or NGC order. Instructions on imaging and processing techniques and rigs associated with the capture of said images will also be included. In this context it could easily be seen as a reference book.
Thanks for the clarification.
It could have included planetary images - hence an planetary ephemeris of kinds.

Quote:
Do I take it that you question the validity of this?
No, not at all.

Quote:
Profit? Probably some absolutely marginal profit, yes. The site has to run somehow. I'm volunteering my editorial services to gather all the peoples' work and put it together in a design-conscious manner. Whether Mike decides to take up this offer or not remains to be seen. I'm not in it for any profit - and I'm not sure why you'd ask. Surely a small percentage of profits going to the upkeep and expansion of IIS would be seen by members as fair and quite frankly obvious.
Fair enough. However the assumption; "...and quite frankly obvious", for me, was not. Also I thought IIS was a basically "non-profit"? (I admit I could be wrong here.)
Also, I'd assume the profit would be therefore viewed as "donation", as it says in the IIS. Legalistically it is also has some interesting questions, like, I.e. who'd own the rights to contributions?
"A number of people have offered to make a monetary contribution in order to support the up-keep of IceInSpace. If you would like to make a contribution, please see our Donate to IceInSpace page. We appreciate your support."
Also with "Donate to ISS" http://www.iceinspace.com.au/donate.html;
"This whole project has been a labour of love for me, I haven't done it to make money."
Alternatively, such a document could also have been distributed electronically for free (pdf).

** In the end all I done is state an open comment here and I've only asked questions. (Difficult, they may be...)
Old 26-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchilada View Post
Fair enough. However the assumption; "...and quite frankly obvious", for me, was not. Also I thought IIS was a basically "non-profit"? (I admit I could be wrong here.)
"Make a profit" simply implies that the on-sale price might exceed the procurement and distribution cost. In the case of the 2009 Almanac (if that's what it even ends up being called), this modest margin (if any) might, for instance, go towards funding expanded IISAC activities, and also towards ensuring the longevity of this very website - good for IIS web users alike.

By using the term "imager" I'm not sure where I excluded planetary.

Quote:
Also, I'd assume the profit would be therefore viewed as "donation", as it says in the IIS. Legalistically it is also has some interesting questions, like, I.e. who'd own the rights to contributions?
Call it that if you will. Take it up with Mike, hey? I'm not going to bite. I'm just offering my services in a mechanical capacity here - no more, no less.

Contributors would be listed and declared as copywrite owners of their own images. Intellectual property rights (style, format of the publication as a whole) would probably be copyright IIS.

Last edited by Omaroo; 26-06-2009 at 10:22 PM.