Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-04-2008, 08:50 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Exclamation IISAC2008 : 30th October - 2nd November 2008

Hi all

I'm pleased to announce the countdown launch to the IceInSpace AstroCamp 2008 - IISAC08!

The IceInSpace AstroCamp event is taking place on the 30th October to 2nd November, 2008 - just over 6 months away. It will be our 3rd IISAC event, and after a very successful event in 2007 (with Comet McNaught gracing our skies!), we're planning to make the 2008 event just as great! (We're trying to get Eta Carinae to explode.. we'll see )

Please check out the IISAC page for some preliminary details - of course it will be continually updated over the next 6 months as more information and detail is confirmed - so check back regularly, and put in your annual leave forms now!

Thanks and I hope to see you there!

This thread is to be used for any questions and discussions about IISAC2008 and will be continually updated as the event draws near.

Last edited by iceman; 17-04-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 17-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Inmykombi (Geoff)
They aint just doubles :o

Cant wait.

This will be my first IIS Astro Camp 2008 and I am really looking forward to it.

Well done to all concerned with regard to all the information about the event.
Geoffro.

Last edited by Inmykombi; 17-04-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 18-04-2008, 01:53 PM
rhisaac
rhisaac

Astrocamp

We are hoping to go to this - sounds great .... just a question I live in Tassie and don't want to travel with my Dob - is there anywhere to hire a good telescope locally there???

Old 18-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Yep - Jenny and I are in. A much better time of year Mike. As great as it wa, the last one roasted us!
Old 18-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Tilt (Michael)

Fantastic, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 18-04-2008, 08:13 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhisaac View Post
We are hoping to go to this - sounds great .... just a question I live in Tassie and don't want to travel with my Dob - is there anywhere to hire a good telescope locally there???

Hi Rhisaac. The NAS (Newcastle Astronomical Society) might be able to recommend someone, but also don't forget that there'll be hundreds of other scopes there to look through, as well as some large aperture dobsonians giving sky tours.

You really don't need to bring a telescope at all if you don't want to.
Old 18-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

With a bit of luck I'm hoping to make it this year.

Have to work out some transportation issues as well or buy an ED80.

Cheers
Old 18-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Uchtungbaby

Yeah, I wouldn't mind going myself, pitch a tent, and beg someone for a look through a really big reflector. I'd have to catch a plane and probably a connecting flight as well. I'll have to think about it, but I'd love to go.
Old 19-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Inmykombi (Geoff)
They aint just doubles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhisaac View Post

I for one, would have no problem at all if you wanted to spend some time at my eyepieces.

I dont have a dob, so you will have to put up with the images being upside down and back to front....

I am sure as Mike says, that there will be plenty of other scopes there as well.

Cheers.
Old 19-04-2008, 01:25 PM
rhisaac
rhisaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inmykombie View Post
I for one, would have no problem at all if you wanted to spend some time at my eyepieces.

I dont have a dob, so you will have to put up with the images being upside down and back to front....

I am sure as Mike says, that there will be plenty of other scopes there as well.

Cheers.
Thank to both of you!!! That's great .... we will just bring our tent then and help anyone who needs it.
Old 21-04-2008, 10:26 PM
netwolf

I would like to go, not sure yet though. The SPSP was great but it coincided with my wifes OS trip so it was easy to get approval.
What is the average night time temperature during Oct/Nov up there.
Any fish in the river (new hobby)?

Regards
Fahim
Old 21-04-2008, 11:03 PM
cahullian
Hapkido = Pain

Fahim if your wife gets to go over seas, doesn't that give you the right to go to the next 10 camps no questions asked? I know I would be demanding something like that or she would be swimming OS.

Gazz
Old 18-06-2008, 06:38 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi all

I've updated the IISAC2008 page this morning with some new information, including:

* Prices
* Daytime Activities, Guest Speakers and Workshops
* Food and Beverage information
* plus some other minor updates throughout the page.

No booking form yet, but hopefully i'll have that live in the next 3-6 weeks.

When you check out the prices for this years event, you'll see that IISAC2008 is more affordable for everyone, and is much better value for families than in previous years.
In terms of food, some of the feedback we received from previous years is that a good percentage of the people are happy to arrange their own dinner - camp style cooking, BBQ etc. So in line with that, the catered dinner provided by Gresford RFB is still available but it is now an optional extra and is not included in the registration costs.

The event is still 4 months away, but with the prices and more information for you now hopefully you can start making plans to attend!

I hope to see you all there.
Old 21-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

I'll be there!

This will be my very first Astro camp so I am really looking forward to it (especially the dark skies).

It is getting closer, only 4 months away.

Old 26-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Paddy de Klerk

Paddy de Klerk &company will be there for their second visit;goes without saying that they`re looking forward to it too.Nowrong turns on the road in though the big loop around the mountain has its merits
Old 26-06-2008, 04:34 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Great to hear Matty P and Paddy!

It sure is getting close now!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Big Dave (Dave)
Telescopes keep me poor

Caravans?

I have not been previously (or any astrocamp for that matter), looking at the photos I only see tents. We have a new baby (1 Months old now) and can borrow a caravan to drive from Melbourne which is more suitable. Is this the norm / ok?

Is there normally a 'weather prediction' done a few days before the event as there is no point driving for a day to site when the forcast is gloom?

Looking forward to my first camp,

Regards
Big Dave
Old 06-07-2008, 12:51 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Hi Dave,

Yeah a van is okay, we'll tow one up from Albury/Wodonga. You'll certainly have a very long day with a baby if you're going to tow one from Cranbourne. I'd suggest you take two days.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:13 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I have not been previously (or any astrocamp for that matter), looking at the photos I only see tents. We have a new baby (1 Months old now) and can borrow a caravan to drive from Melbourne which is more suitable. Is this the norm / ok?
Hi Dave
Caravans are fine - a few people bring caravans so it's no problem. It's quite a windy narrow road into the camp so just drive carefully.

Quote:
Is there normally a 'weather prediction' done a few days before the event as there is no point driving for a day to site when the forcast is gloom?

Looking forward to my first camp,

Regards
Big Dave
No doubt there'll be weather predictions posted in this thread - so just keep an eye out. Otherwise search the BOM site for Lostock and you can do your own forecasting

Star parties are a great opportunity to meet up with like-minded amateur astronomers for some great conversation and great company, so even if the weather turns foul, people always have a great time.

I look forward to seeing you there!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I've updated the IISAC page with sponsors who have come onboard so far.

Thanks to York Optical, SKY:Lab Astronomy Software, Knightware and Astrovisuals for their ongoing support of IceInSpace events and competitions.