Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 04-06-2016, 01:32 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Making my Arduino rotator Ascom compatable

Hello all
After having some success in making my Arduino controlled camera rotator for my FSQ I would now like to make it Ascom compliant so I can control it within Sequence generator pro.
I have tried to make a driver for it but this is where my knowledge and skill abruptly ends! I have used a rotator template using Visual Studio and the Ascom templates but I can't seem to bring all the pieces together.
I am not sure what the next step is and hoping that someone can help.
I have attached the Arduino code in case that helps explain things
Thank you
Jeremy
Attached Files
File Type: zip rotatorv1.zip (1.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 05-06-2016, 09:09 PM
aarong (Aaron)

Hi Jeremy,

I can't offer much help, but there maybe some useful hints here: http://www.russels-astro.com/blog/?p=245

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 06-06-2016, 02:45 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Thank you Aaron, I have seen that one and tried to amend that code to suit my situation but TBH I don't really know what I'm doing!
I shall keep trying though, thanks again
Cheers
Jeremy
Old 29-06-2016, 08:35 PM
aarong (Aaron)

Hi again,

You may have already seen this: http://astro.neutral.org/software/tu...m-arduino.html

Also I have had a go at making a cloud sensor and make an ASCOM driver for it. I have had some success, but still learning. You can find the code here: https://github.com/agreenville

The SGL Observatory Automation yahoo group had some great info. I'll write it all up when I get time and finish testing it. They will be able to help you.

The cloud sensor is connected as a safety device and there isn't that much going on with the ASCOM driver (probably why I could get it to work). Just sends commands seeing if things are still connected and if conditions are safe. At the Arduino end, there needs to be some functions to receive these commands and send a reply. My Arduino code is on GitHub as well.

One thing I found that helped was giving the commands a character that defines the end of the command. I used "#". Then there are some functions in VB and Arduino that will read the command until the "#". This helps in sending and receiving the commands in full.

Microsoft Visual Studio and the ASCOM developer downloads are handy for using the existing templates. There is an alternative to VS, but I haven't used it.

I hope some of this helps and do check out the SGL Observatory Automation yahoo group. I'm also sure there will be someone here that can help out more than this beginner.

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 17-07-2016, 08:01 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Thanks very much Aaron.
I have seen those tutorials and have been in touch with the author over on UK Astro Imaging forum.
It is all in the "too hard" basket for the moment but I will get back to it as I also one day want to automate my observatory roof opening/closing, so will need ascom drivers for that.
Cheers and thanks again
Jeremy