Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Mekon (Paul)

The best mount for observatory

Hi everyone, Have you any suggestions as to the best GOTO mount for installing in a permanent observatory?
I am also posting this in the observatory forum.

Thanks in anticipation
Mekon
Old 13-02-2015, 10:59 AM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

best mount

Depends on what weight it will carry, but I have been extremely happy with my Paramount PMX. A bit pricey, but hasn't missed a beat and has carried all sorts of different scopes. And The Sky X software bundled with it is really good too.
Also looks rather sexy!!
My mate El Draco has the PME and that is a monster mount. Seriously you could probably put any think on that mount. Serious price though.
Have fun choosing.
I have owned a CGEM and an a G11, also an EQ 6.
I didn't like the EQ 6 elevation adjusters- too stiff, but I liked the EQMOD software interface.
I really liked the CGEM and it's polar alignment software and had great fun with it before upgrading to the PMX.
I never really got on with the G11 (didn't have it long enough to assess really as I swapped it for part of the PMX!)
Cheers Graham
Old 13-02-2015, 11:07 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi Paul

I guess you need to consider the weight it will carry its cost and whether you can set it up remotely (assuming you want that ability).
Old 13-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Mekon (Paul)

price and weight

My budget is $5000 and the weight is about 10kg (22lb)
Old 13-02-2015, 12:46 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

I think your options are

Skywatcher EQ8
Losmandy G11
Celestron CGEM

as you don't have a heavy setup probably a G11 would be the winner in my opinion.
Old 13-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Software Bisque's newest mount, the MyT, might be a bit over budget at 6K USD, but they sure look pretty: http://www.bisque.com/sc/pages/ParamountMYT.aspx
Old 15-02-2015, 08:37 AM
ozjoe

Has anyone ever use this brand? Are they any good? I am considering to replace my CGE.
Thanks.

http://10micron.de/products/gm-1000-...51000/?lang=en
Old 18-02-2015, 08:39 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Assuming your budget is for the mount alone, the G11 is a good choice provided you are prepared to learn it and do some tweaking.

The G11 has been a workhorse for years and its engineering is beautiful, adaptability, fabulous. There are many add-ons available through the D-Series plates and there is a wealth of support available online. You can upgrade the basic mount with precision worms etc, to achieve the goal you want but you have to be prepared to LEARN.

Some say that a mount should come "turn-key" perfect and you occasionally hear people lamenting that the G11 is not such a mount.
I've yet to meet a turn-key perfect beast but the G11 certainly can produce superior results for the $ and even more so in an observatory, though they are not the best choice for remote operation because of the slip clutches. The imaging results are sprayed all over the web. You can get a G11 second hand reasonably cheaply but that will change with the exchange rate situation. Its also compatible with lots of excellent software and I'd rate it as a top "mid priced" mount.

I've owned an EQ6 and still own a G11. The later is several orders of magnitude better in every respect. Don't know about the EQ8 or CGEM's . CGEM's probably fall between the EQ's and G11's? The Bisque mounts are superb but outside the budget.

Last edited by el_draco; 18-02-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 19-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

You occasionally see used Astro-Physics AP Mach 1 GTOs come up in the IIS classifieds, and more often on Astromart of course. Again, probably a bit over budget, but bullet proof and will swing your 10KG with ease, and some. I've seen one permanently mounted in an observatory in Sydney (Marke) and I was very impressed. AP mounts are as close to turn-key perfect as you can get. http://www.astro-physics.com/index.h...h1gto/mach1gto