Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Help in Sydney this weekend if you need it

Hi all,

There's a few posts in the Beginners' Forum asking for some help with their new scopes. I'm happy to give a hand at my place this weekend if anyone would like to make a trip out to Maroubra in Sydney's east. Yeah I know a bit short notice, but the Moon is favourable in the later part of the evening.

Please let me know if Friday or Saturday night best suits as I can only do this the one night. I'd be looking to get things going with the scopes around 9pm.

Things I can go over include collimation, how our eyes work and observing tips, brief run down on setting up an eq mount (I have only some experience with these, but I can get you up and running), eyepieces 1.25" and 2" what's the diff and what's works and what doesn't, filters, getting good mechanical performance out of one's mount, and anything else you can think of. I don't mind if your scope is a dob, SCT, refractor or Mak, alt az or eq mounted, just bring some bikkies to munch on during the night. If the sky Gods are favourable to us, we can have a shot at different targets.

Just let me know here or via PM.

Mental.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:40 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I'd come along just to check out your project.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:44 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Home brewing, firewater?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Geoff, what have you heard about what goes on here... *hic*...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:38 AM
linstar88 (Linda and Guy)

count me in please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Hi all,

There's a few posts in the Beginners' Forum asking for some help with their new scopes. I'm happy to give a hand at my place this weekend if anyone would like to make a trip out to Maroubra in Sydney's east. Yeah I know a bit short notice, but the Moon is favourable in the later part of the evening.

Please let me know if Friday or Saturday night best suits as I can only do this the one night. I'd be looking to get things going with the scopes around 9pm.

Things I can go over include collimation, how our eyes work and observing tips, brief run down on setting up an eq mount (I have only some experience with these, but I can get you up and running), eyepieces 1.25" and 2" what's the diff and what's works and what doesn't, filters, getting good mechanical performance out of one's mount, and anything else you can think of. I don't mind if your scope is a dob, SCT, refractor or Mak, alt az or eq mounted, just bring some bikkies to munch on during the night. If the sky Gods are favourable to us, we can have a shot at different targets.

Just let me know here or via PM.

Mental.
Hi Mental,
Terrific offer to good to pass up imo . Count me in please if still on and not to many people overcrowding the place already. Either night is fine by me just let me know which night is chosen and I'm omw. Most likely best I just bring the 10" Dob as it's far easier to handle loading/unloading, setting up than the 12". Advice on 1 should be the same for the other.
What bikkies do you prefer? or would choc mud cake be even better ??
Cheers Guy
mobile 0430 553 990
please note I'll stop viewing this morning about 5am or so, will be conscious again around midday.

Last edited by linstar88; 07-02-2014 at 04:51 AM. Reason: adding contact number
Old 07-02-2014, 07:20 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Oh, I wish I lived closer to Sydney and had a car! Take pics!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:27 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

It's on, tonight Friday.

Thank you for your responses, here and via PM. Is it possible to have a mosh pit with only two or three people... ? If you would like to come, just let me know, plenty of space in the backyard.

I'll see if I remember to take a pic. The camera is always handy, but I don't always remember it.

Guy, the 10" is fine. Bikkies are great whatever they are (I'm no bikkie snob), but I also won't refuse a bit of mud cake

Before I forget, things to bring along:

Scope
Eyepieces
Whatever filters you have
Red light torch - three of four layers of red cellophane over a torch lens is fine.
Beanie and jacket - gets dewy and cool here at night

Mozzies are around here too. Bug repellent needs to be applied away from the scopes - particularly sprays. I'll go over this tonight too.

If you'd like to take down notes that's fine too - there's gonna be a lot covered.

If you don't have a scope, that's ok. This is a chance to familiarise oneself about scopes before doing one's money.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I think Ill come along just for an observing night. Alex can you PM me your address?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 AM
aloshan (Australia)

wow , great guy. PM sent
Old 07-02-2014, 11:54 AM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Wish I could be there, but alas, have done the motor in my Subaru! Still, it's a comfort to know you will all be looking at the same sky as me tonight....gives me a warm fuzzy feeling....
Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Alex is the real deal hope you're all having a great night!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:59 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Guy and Adrian came over last night. For such short notice I'm happy with that. They left my place at around 3am.

Poor Guy got an earful too, . But Guy, I hope the night proved helpful. That cake, Guy, ooohhhh, nice!

We managed to show Guy a few galaxies, and some little tricks on how to best spot them from light polluted areas. Pinned a couple of Planetary Nebulae and several emission nebulae, and what OIII and UHC filters do best on each type. Several GC's too and how magnification can help with resolving them. Jupiter had its GRS on show too.

I for one had a good time chewing the fat. I DON'T think I made too many outlandish claims, and Adrian was a good task master there, .

I even remembered to take a pic!

If anyone else would like me to do another night, just let me know.

Mental.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Friday night.JPG)
61.0 KB104 views
Old 08-02-2014, 09:48 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Wow, those are big scopes!
Old 08-02-2014, 11:20 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Well done Alex , a few of us IIS'rs are doing the same thing here in Perth tonight at Peter's (stardrifterWA) place in Thornlie .

Its always nice to finially meet fellow astronomers in the flesh so to speak after only chatting on line .
I will post a photo if I remember to take any .

Brian.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:14 PM

Thumbs up summary of AAA meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Guy and Adrian came over last night. For such short notice I'm happy with that. They left my place at around 3am.

Poor Guy got an earful too, . But Guy, I hope the night proved helpful. That cake, Guy, ooohhhh, nice!

We managed to show Guy a few galaxies, and some little tricks on how to best spot them from light polluted areas. Pinned a couple of Planetary Nebulae and several emission nebulae, and what OIII and UHC filters do best on each type. Several GC's too and how magnification can help with resolving them. Jupiter had its GRS on show too.

I for one had a good time chewing the fat. I DON'T think I made too many outlandish claims, and Adrian was a good task master there, .

I even remembered to take a pic!

If anyone else would like me to do another night, just let me know.

Mental.
Now affectionately labelled the AAA meeting, Alex's Amateur Astronomy meeting or Alex and Adrian's Astronomy meeting, or perhaps even Advanced Amateur Astronomy meet , regardless of my poor attempt at a comically pun ridden name, these boys really know their stuff which = AAA+rating
In summary, there was a lot of info and input to take in of which I'm still in the process of assimilating. Yet Alex managed to relate some of the more complex and important points regarding eye sight working in conjunction with night sky observing with a telescope in a fairly straight forward and simple manner. All of which was under the nod of approval from Adrian whom also had some relevant points of info which were worth mentioning. Imperative knowledge novices such as myself are in dire need of should one wish to limit potential costly mistakes including purchases.
Their ability to locate and pinpoint galaxies, clusters and general space bodies under highly light polluted skies, with and without the assistance of a good atlas was quite impressive to say the least. I'm quite confident no outlandish claims were made what so ever.
Should Alex be generous enough to open his backyard up to other IIS novices in the future, I can highly recommend making an effort to rock up and listen to all that is said and view all that is shown.
Having said all that, a huge thankyou to Alex and Adrian for sharing their much needed and valuable knowledge and advice, time and effort via their years of experience doesn't go unappreciated .
Hope to catch up with you fella's under dark skies at some point, till then happy star hopping. Glad you enjoyed the boldly claimed "worlds best choc cake" it was pretty good
All the best-
Guy

Last edited by linstar88; 09-02-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 08-02-2014, 06:11 PM
richard2600 (Richard)

This would have been interesting I would have learnt a lot , will have to keep look out for next time
Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
Wow, those are big scopes!
May I ask what their specs are? Thanks!
Old 09-02-2014, 11:33 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

All three were dobs, 8" (mine), 10" (Guy's) & 12" (Adrian's). I left my 17.5" packed away.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 AM

stats for dobs found here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
May I ask what their specs are? Thanks!
you can find stats for these dobs at www.bintel.com.au/
BT202-B 8" dobsonian (Alex's home made version is similar to this)
BT252-B 10" dobsonian (one of the scopes you can see in the pic)
also see
BT302-B 12" dobsonian for comparison (my other scope at home)
and for Adrian's 12"
www.ozscopes.com.au/
skywatcher black diamond 12" collapsible dobsonian (newer model but stats will be pretty much the same)

cheers Guy
Old 09-02-2014, 12:05 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Really cool. I hope I will have at least a 10" scope one day.

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 09-02-2014 at 12:34 PM.