Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 14-11-2013, 12:32 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Thanks Allan!

I've been sketching since I was knee high to a grass hopper. But sketching white onto black paper at the eyepiece only a couple of years. I wrote an article on how I sketch DSO's that you can find here in this link. How long depends on the object. Take the galaxy below of 1365 - it took only 30min. Other sketches can take upto three hours, all done at the eyepiece.

If you would like a more detailed explanation of the sketches, you'll find them all in the Solar System and DSO sketching sticky. My lunar sketches you'll find in the Sketch the Moon night sticky. My lunar sketches started as black onto white paper. But I found I got better results when I used the exact same materials I use with my DSO work. One kit, two very different uses.

The technique I use for DSO's I learnt from my late friend Scott Mellish, after whom I named the technique I wrote the article of. My lunar work is my own.

If you have any questions, please just ask. You can post them in the Sketching Tips sticky or you can PM me.

I've actually just come in from doing a sketch of the Moon tonight which I'll post in the next day or so. I'm too tired now to clean it up and photograph it. Need some sleep now...

Mental.
Old 14-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Allan

Alex, thanks for the reply, especially at that time of night. I will take the time and look through the links you posted. I should try and get to Katoomba sometime so we can catch up. But coming from Newcastle, the Pony Club is usually my venue of choice around new moon.
Old 29-12-2013, 08:26 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

These 8 men found more than 200 NGC objects

These 8 men discovered more than 200 NGC objects.
Two observed from the southern hemisphere, James Dunlop and John Herschel.
Dunlop and d'Arrest had the smallest telescopes, a 9" reflector and an 11" refractor respectively.
Three were born in the 1700s, W and J Herschel and Dunlop.
Reference: http://www.klima-luft.de/steinicke/ngcic/obs_e.htm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NGC 200+.pdf (176.5 KB, 25 views)