IceInSpace Calendar Competition 2014!
Submitted: Monday, 8th April 2013 by Mike Salway
Winners are now announced!
Find out which images won the competition and will now make up your IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar 2014!
Buy your calendars now, from the IceInSpace Shop: Astronomy Calendar 2014.
Voting is now closed!
We received over 1100 votes! A record number of votes, and over the next few days, we will contact the winners of each category to let them know.
Just by voting, you were entered into the draw to win a prize pack worth $110. We've pulled the person out of the virtual barrel, and the lucky winner is:
Patti will receive 5 free 2014 IceInSpace Calendars and 10 free IceInSpace Stickers.
Thanks very much to everyone for taking part in the competition!
It's on again! Last year's Astronomy Calendar Competition was a huge success, with over 220 entries, 64 fantastic photographers, over 900 votes cast and over 3000 calendars sold (500 via IceInSpace!), so we're running the competition again for 2014.
The IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar for 2014 will again be made up of images captured by and chosen by the IceInSpace community!
Click to Enlarge
Your image in the IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar 2014!
Keep reading below for information on how to submit your images or how to vote.
How it Works
- Submit your images during the submission timetable
- Images will be submitted into one or more of the following categories:
- Nebula or Starry Nebula
- Star Cluster, including Globular or Open Cluster
- Nightscape, including wide field photos
- Star Trails
- Moon, including Lunar Eclipse
- Planets, including Saturn-Moon Conjunction (three feature in 2014)
- Sun, including Solar Eclipse
- IceInSpace will then select four finalists from each category
- The IceInSpace community will then vote for their favourite image (from our top four) in each category.
- IceInSpace will then choose one of the winning images to be the cover image, and the remaining 12 winning images will be used for the months of the calendar.
- The photographer of the winning cover photo will receive $250. Other winners can choose to receive either $100 cash OR 10 free calendars (value $200).
- All winners will also receive 10 IceInSpace Stickers.
Submitting your Images
Submitting your images is easy! Dig through your astrophotography albums and galleries and upload your favourite images using our web form.
- Images must be submitted between 9am on the 1st and 5pm on the 31st May 2013.
- Photographer must be an IceInSpace Member (register here)
- Images submitted for voting must be between 1200px and 2000px on its longest side, and no greater than 2mb in size (if you win a category, you will be asked for a larger size)
- Images should be in landscape format to suit calendar pages
- Each photographer can submit up to five images.
- You may submit each image in any category you choose.
- Submitting your images is FREE!
Submit Your Images - Image submission is closed.
Please see below for how to vote for your favourite images across all categories!
Voting for your Favourites
When image submission is over, Astrovisuals and IceInSpace will narrow down the submissions and select our favourite four images in 13 categories.
The images will be presented anonymously (without photographer or telescope/camera details) on a voting page where the extended IceInSpace Community can vote for their favourite image in each category. Voting will take place between approx 5th June and 21st June 2013.
Just by voting you can win a prize too! One lucky voter will receive 5 free IceInSpace Astronomy Calendars and 10 IceInSpace Stickers, valued at $110!
All you have to do is vote for one image in each category, fill in your details and you're in the draw! You can only submit your vote once.
Vote for your Favourite Images here.- voting is now closed.
The winner of the voting competition is Patti Barrett. Patti was pulled out of the virtual barrel and wins $110 worth of prizes including 5 copies of the IceInSpace Astronomy Calendar 2014. Congratulations and thanks for taking part in the competition!
The images with the highest number of votes in each category will be the winners, and IceInSpace will choose the cover image from the winners.
Winners are now announced! View the Winning Images here!
The calendar will be available for sale in early August 2013 from the IceInSpace Shop.
Rules and Fine Print
- Please read the rules carefully, and be sure to ask any questions on the forum if anything is unclear. A thread discussing the competition is found here on the IceInSpace Forum.
- Image submission is open to registered IceInSpace Forum members including the moderators. The moderators are volunteers and have had no involvement in organising this competition, so they are eligible to enter. The administrators (mojo and iceman) are not eligible to enter.
- Image voting is open to the public (you do not need to be a member of the IceInSpace Forum), however you may only vote once. You must vote for one image in each category.
- The competition will be launched on Wednesday the 1st May 2013 at 9am AEST. The competition will close at 5pm AEST on 21st of June 2013. Winners will be announced on or around the 15th July 2013.
- Image Submission:
- All images must be submitted using the online entry form between 9am on the 1st May and 5pm on the 31st May 2013. Entries received after the closing date will not be eligible.
- Each photographer may submit up to 5 images.
- Photographer must be a member of the IceInSpace Forum (register here).
- Images are used under the following terms:
- You agree for your photo to be published in the calendar
- You will retain copyright of the photo as the original photographer.
- Your images will be clearly marked Image © Joe Blow
- No other use will be made of the images without your permission.
- We have the right to adjust your image, but final image will be sent to you for approval.
- If there aren't enough images submitted in a category, we reserve the right to exclude that category from the competition. Images in that category will be moved to another category. We also reserve the right to divide categories where necessary.
- The winning cover image will receive a once-off payment of $250
- All other winning images will choose between either $100 cash OR 10 free calendars (value $200).
- All winners will receive 10 IceInSpace Stickers.
- The winning voter will receive 5 free IceInSpace Calendars and 10 IceInSpace Stickers.
- Prizes will be posted out to the winners once the calendars have been printed and are available for sale (approx 10th August 2013).
- On (or around) the 21st of June 2013, all voters will be placed into a hat and a winner will be drawn at random.
- IceInSpace and Astrovisuals will determine which winning image is used in which month of the calendar
- The winners will be contacted to via email or forum PM to send high-resolution versions of their images (minimum 200dpi in A4 landscape format), and may have their names displayed on the IceInSpace website or in newsletters or other marketing. Make sure your profile is setup to receive PM's and ensure your email address is valid so that you can be contacted!
- The prizes cannot be converted to cash.
- The judges decision is final and no correspondance will be entered into.
- All dates and times are in AEST.