Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2012, 06:32 AM
saysme (Steve)

2 speed focuser for 12" skywatcher

Im looking for a quality 2 speed focuser suitable for astrphotography for my skywatcher- at this stage if I can find one I would prefer not to drill additional holes in the ota. My existing focuser has a base plate that must convert it from an 8" or 10". I have contacted skywatcher directly but they didn't get back.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Sarge (Rod)

Steve, if you can afford it - get a moonlite CR. Have one on my 12" SW and it is fantastic. No need to drill any holes, supplied mounting fits exactly onto the SW OTA. I think well and truely worth the money. I like it so much I'm about to purchase one for my 127ED.

Clear skies

Rod
Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 PM
saysme (Steve)

Thanks Rod, I really like the look of the CR2 as well though it's pushing the budget into the doghouse for me, I have found the sw low profile focuser since my original post, more my budget if the reviews are ok.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Sarge (Rod)

No probs Steve, make sure you new focuser can take the weight of your camera, don't want slips during your shots

Clear skies

Rod
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

To be honest if you are going to start pushing in to the astrophotography way and it is too expensive to go a moonlight as a miniumum (you should really be looking at a 2.5" due to light cone and vingenetting), try and battle on with some minor modifications to the standard SW focuser (look for astronomy shed on youtube they have a great little movie).

Save up your brownie points and get out of the dog house free tokens and move to the Moonlight or Feather touch straight up other wise you are wasting your money plain and simple on any other varient!

Thats my thoughts

BM
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
saysme (Steve)

I think patients is the key here, I may have to preserver for a few months until my Birthday, fathers day christmas etc. Get a quality proven product. Thanks for the advice.