Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-10-2011, 04:32 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Book Review: The Transit of Venus - 1631 to the Present

Having just written an article for IceInSpace on how to observe and photograph the Transit of Venus in June 2012, I was excited to receive the opportunity to review this book, "The Transit of Venus: 1631 to the Present", written by Dr Nick Lomb, the Curator of Astronomy at the Sydney Observatory.

Published by NewSouth Publishing in association with Powerhouse Publishing, the book is a large hardcover book (240 x 235mm), 228 pages long and contains a great balance of text, with beautiful black and white and full colour illustrations and photographs.

You can read my full review (including pictures) from the IceInSpace Reviews page, or directly by clicking on the link below:

Book Review: The Transit of Venus - 1631 to the Present

If you'd like to contribute a review or article to IceInSpace, we'd love to hear from you. Get in touch with us through the Write for IceInSpace page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (transitofvenus-cover-web.jpg)
121.5 KB42 views

Last edited by iceman; 08-11-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:27 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review uploaded.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Poita (Peter)

I bought this last weekend, and was in the middle of writing a review, you saved me the trouble! It is a beautiful book, and I agree with everything you said!

Re the cover, I think the red-trail is just to suggest the path of movement across the sun, which a realistic static shot wouldn't do, and the red to offset the yellow of the sun and re-inforce the feeling of heat, looking at the sun etc. It also suggests the look of those old Edwardian illustrations to me. I like the cover, even though it is obviously not realistic, I think it is striking, 'tells a story' and makes you want to pick up the book and look inside.

I think anyone with even a passing interest in the transit of Venus will thoroughly enjoy it.

Anyone in Sydney can attend the book launch on the 24th at the Observatory.
http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/...e-book-launch/
Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
Re the cover, I think the red-trail is just to suggest the path of movement across the sun, which a realistic static shot wouldn't do, and the red to offset the yellow of the sun and re-inforce the feeling of heat, looking at the sun etc. It also suggests the look of those old Edwardian illustrations to me. I like the cover, even though it is obviously not realistic, I think it is striking, 'tells a story' and makes you want to pick up the book and look inside.
Oh I agree, I don't dislike the cover just pondered it. It does tell a story and gets you to pick it up. I was only nitpicking to find some 'negatives'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I think anyone with even a passing interest in the transit of Venus will thoroughly enjoy it.
Definitely agree with that.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Poita (Peter)

I agree, the book is hard to find any big reasons not to buy, except for my ever pressing need to get more bookcases first!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 AM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

Enjoyed the great review Mike,

I just HAVE to seek out this book now.
The historic side to the event fascinates me also.

regards

Steve
Old 09-11-2011, 12:12 PM
deejayvee (David)

Thanks for the review. I picked up a copy yesterday