Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-08-2011, 09:05 PM
vicki76 (Vicki)

Smile newbie here....Hello

HI Guys and gals. My name is Vicki and I am a total Astronomy virgin. I am yet to look through a telescope (have been exploring with Bino's).

I have just placed my order today for an 8" DOB to give to my son for his 10th B'day (he is in love with space). I have spent tha last few weeks perusing this forum and getting great help. After much conflicting advice from people about what our first scope should be we finally settled on the DOB to begin with but I know as my...cough...OUR addiction grows (as it has in just a few weeks) i know i will upgrade to a scope capable for great astro photography (I am a Photographer).

I look foward to all your help and i know i will enjoy exploring the world beyond our own.

Vicki
Old 27-08-2011, 02:56 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Hi Vicki and welcome,

Well after reading all that advice, I strongly believe you've made an excellent decision. You have scored the perfect scope for a newcomer to the hobby (and for a 10yo!)

All the usual recommendations will pop in here: http://stellarium.org/ for a great free computer planetarium and for some extra goodies look into a Telrad finder. A lot of people swear by them.

You have a astro club on the Mornington Peninsula http://www.mpas.asn.au/ I'd look into them if your time permits. I'm sure you and your son will will be most welcome to some observing evenings!

Congrat on a great purchase, and look forward to hearing all about your first light!

Regards,
Stephen
Old 27-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Welcome Vicki

As Stephen has said, you have made a great start in approach and choice.

I too recommend stellarium, a great assistance in finding what is up in your region, and a great entertainment on cloudy nights.

Congratulations on your "first steps into a larger universe"
Old 27-08-2011, 07:49 AM
vicki76 (Vicki)

thanks Stephen. The MPAS have a pulic viewing night on this coming Friday so we are heading there to have a look.

I got the Stellarium but haven't had a chance to look at it yet

Thanks for the welcome

Vic
Old 27-08-2011, 07:50 AM
vicki76 (Vicki)

thanks for the welcome Allan. My son and I are very much looking foward to viewing the skies. His scope should arrive Wednesday/Thursday so here's hoping for clear skies.

thanks

Vic
Old 27-08-2011, 04:23 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Vic, welcome to IIS!
LOL I bought my boys a scope too, and haven't looked back.
Old 27-08-2011, 04:46 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Hi Vic, welcome to IIS!
LOL I bought my boys a scope too, and haven't looked back.
Or away
Old 28-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Astrophotography can be an all consuming passion where mega dollars are spent on mounts, cameras, computers etc. etc. etc..

However there is a lot of potential in your present telescope as well. The moon, planets, the brighter objects that do not need tracking. do not be afraid to turn your 10" into a really big telephoto lens.

Brian
Old 28-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Poita (Peter)

Ah, astrophotography can be an endless money pit.
One way out is to grab a 2nd Hand C8 that is Fastar compatible, then add a Hyperstar kit to it.
You could get away for about $1000-$1500 if you were lucky.
You could add a camera like the QHY8L for another $1500 and you could start imaging, even on an ALT/AZ system as the optics on the hyper star are so fast, that many nebula and galaxies are within reach even without an EQ mount.
Add a Neximage camera for another $150 and you can also do planets.

Then later on you will need a mount, an EQ6Pro is really a starting point, and it runs at about $1500, so you can see how expensive it all gets. That is leaving out adapters, guiders, filters and endless other stuff. It is the expensive end. A great mount can set you back $10,000 or over $20,000 or more.

Or, you could pick up an ED80 on a HEQ5Pro mount and a DSLR and do DSO shooting, or just a DSLR and a really wide angle lens, or one of a thousand other ways to tackle it.

It all depends what you want to photograph (planets or DSOs etc.) and how deep those pockets are.

For photographing the moon, and planets, you could just stick a camera on the end of your dob and get some decent results.
Old 31-08-2011, 03:06 AM
lone77star (Carl)
Alpha Centauri Bound

Ah, but what a glorious addiction, huh? All that money might otherwise be merely sitting there gathering interest, while all that sky goes to waste.
Old 31-08-2011, 08:42 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone77star View Post
Ah, but what a glorious addiction, huh? All that money might otherwise be merely sitting there gathering interest, while all that sky goes to waste.

Gathering Interest ??? you have to be joking !

Every time I do that the company goes bust and I lose it all. Bit of a 'buy new gear and get clouds' syndrome only more expensive.'

Been round that circle ( and a divorce ) too many times to have money, spend while you got it I reckon. At least noone else gets it that way..

And the sky beckons ...
Old 31-08-2011, 08:49 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post

Been round that circle ( and a divorce ) too many times to have money, spend while you got it I reckon. At least noone else gets it that way..
Marriage: Betting someone half your stuff that you’ll love them forever.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Poita (Peter)

Sadly I lost that bet too

But I am a lot wiser and a far better person than I used to be.

Broke, but a better bloke
Old 31-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Lost the bet the first time but 18 years later winning the second bet. this morning we lay in bed drinking coffee, discussing plans for our new house and just generally enjoying each others company. And she is into astronomy too!
Brian
Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I'm doing more than alright second time round. Coming up to our 10th Anniversary in Feb and we are still having fun, heaps of it. And recovered most of my lost earlier' investment' due to a propitious house purchase at just the right time and price.
And it's got room for an observatory
A rarity in modern surburbia

And my wife although she doesn't do astronomy encourages me to do my own thing. And she likes red wine, good beer, good food as well. Perfect !!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

Funny to read so many comments on marriage (or divorce) on a thread welcoming someone new!
I truly empathise with the comments though!
Old 15-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Hi Vicki nice choice of scope oh your son is so gonna love it i have a 10 year old son which is also hooked on space stuff (as he calls it) Hope you have clear skies when that scope arrives
cheers
Old 18-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Mliss (Mel)

Hi Vicki, you will definately enjoy your new scope!!! Not long to go now...

So nice to hear your son is taking an interest too. Couldn't agree more on Stellarium, it's my favorite program! Don't forget to come back when it arrives