Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-12-2010, 11:58 AM
CraigS
Unpredictable

Question: Faster Than Light?

Ok, so I've just recently rediscovered something I haven't though about for a long time, (if ever), and been proven wrong in the process !

There are phenomena which regularly exceed the speed of light:

i) The phase velocity of electromagnetic signals;

ii) The rotation velocity of a light source (say a laser light in a lighthouse), projected onto a 'screen' at large distance (say, the shoreline): when the sweep velocity is measured by two points on the shoreline, it regularly exceeds 'c';

iii) Communication between entangled quantum particles.

It would also seem that no information is exchanged in any of the above examples.

Does anyone else find this surprising … or is it just me ?

Cheers
Old 19-12-2010, 12:40 PM
noswonky (Peter)

The expansion of space is another example. Objects beyond a certain distance are moving away from us faster than light, making them unobservable. They are not moving through space faster than light, but the intervening space is expanding, so there is no violation of the speed limit.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:49 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I believe Neutrinos travel faster than light. Hence why Neutrino are discovered before an event.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:50 PM
CraigS
Unpredictable

I think I can deal with the faster than light-speed side of it .. but the 'no exchange of information part', has me a bit stumped.

For example, quantum teleportation has been demonstrated in 1997 (I believe).
Now, I can see that superluminal information exchange hasn't happened in this example, but information is exchanged if teleportation is declared, isn't it?
If this is the case, then surely in effect, information has been exchanged between particles, hasn't it ?

Cheers
Old 19-12-2010, 12:56 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I haven't read it yet but FYI - http://www.its.caltech.edu/~qoptics/teleport.html
Old 19-12-2010, 12:57 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
I believe Neutrinos travel faster than light. Hence why Neutrino are discovered before an event.
I did not think they did travel faster than light , they just leave a little bit earlier than the explosion
Old 19-12-2010, 01:02 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Thanks for the clarifacation, That sort make me concerned whether it is actually possible to convert matter totravel at the speed of light. But who know what type of Physics can be discovered in the future.
Old 19-12-2010, 01:26 PM
CraigS
Unpredictable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Thanks for the clarifacation, That sort make me concerned whether it is actually possible to convert matter totravel at the speed of light. But who know what type of Physics can be discovered in the future.
In quantum teleportation, the matter itself isn't transmitted or rearranged etc, BUT, the quantum information is transmitted (and can be done up to light speed). I believe this makes use of the 'shared entanglement' theorem. It would appear that the information exchange takes place via a parallel route, independent of the entangled partners, and is probably the quantum equivalent of sending an email to the recipient of the other entangled partner (at light speed, electronically).

It seems there are other quantum theorems, limiting information exchange at the quantum level .. the 'No communication' theorem, the 'No cloning' theorem and the 'No broadcast' theorem.

Interesting.

Cheers

Last edited by CraigS; 19-12-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 19-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

What about Tachyon- hypothetical particle that slowest speed it can travel is speed of light.
I do believe and I stress believe that based on history and my life observation of changes in human understanding of our Universe, faster then light travel and communication will be possible some time in the future. Pity that I will not be around to see it.
Old 19-12-2010, 07:49 PM
duncan
Duncan

This is a very interesting post. i for one hope this all becomes common in the next 20 yrs. otherwise i'll miss itn all. Damit,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Barrykgerdes

OK
If something is faster than the speed of light how do you measure it without getting into hypertheoretical physics.

In fact how fast is the speed of light. I know we can put a value on it relative to our own concept of time and distance. All we know is that it has some relative speed in our concept of being.

Barry
Old 19-12-2010, 08:08 PM
duncan
Duncan

That is a very valid point. Only recognisABLE TO US!!!
??????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????
Old 20-12-2010, 03:58 PM
CraigS
Unpredictable

Hmm ..
If quantum entanglement experiments are explained by collapsing probability wave functions, isn't this also saying that we gain information when the wave function collapses ?

Ie: the information being the state of one or both of the entangled pair ?

Cheers
Old 20-12-2010, 04:20 PM
avandonk
avandonk

No information is transmitted in 'setting' the state of a complementary particle by measuring it's state. The real fact is that these particles still behave as 'one' no matter how distant they are in space. There has to be a conection at a different dimensional level.

Think about an infinite pair of scissors and then observe the intersection of the blades as they close. The intersection point is travelling faster than light. Yet no information is being transmitted as both ends are at the same place and time.

bert
Old 20-12-2010, 04:38 PM
CraigS
Unpredictable

Thanks Bert.

I'm sure there's no information being transmitted, as you say. (It's wrapping my mind around it that's the hurdle for me).

It seems that the probability wave function, to me, is the information.

It is a little hard for me to understand how a function, modelling information, can describe the state of something and yet contain no information about when the state changes.

The scissor model would seem (to me), to bear information such as the rigidity of the scissor blade and it describing a linkage of a particular characteristic joining two points in space (??).

I think this is the same as the wave function (?). Both models encompass some type of information … otherwise we wouldn't use them (?)

Hmm

Cheers

Last edited by CraigS; 20-12-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 20-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
Thanks Bert.

It seems that the probability wave function, to me, is the information.

Cheers
Yes, ive often wondered about this (in a stupid simple way), seems to me information is being transmitted faster than C.
Old 20-12-2010, 10:50 PM
sjastro

Without going deeply into the mathematics, before a measurement is performed a wavefunction is a linear combination of different states.
These states are known as eigenfunctions.

It represents a superimposed state of all possible incomes. By definition it is not composed of information, as information is obtained once the observer performs a measurement.

When a measurement occurs the wavefunction is now in the from of a constant multiplied by a single eigenfunction. The constant is known as an eigenvalue.
The eigenvalue is the information as a result of the measurement.

The initial wavefunction representing an entangled state does not contain information.

Regards

Steven
Old 20-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

The solution

See if I can make this work.....................
Faster than regular Light!

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1292627115061.png)
46.2 KB14 views

Last edited by Max Vondel; 20-12-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 21-12-2010, 06:24 AM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
ii) The rotation velocity of a light source (say a laser light in a lighthouse), projected onto a 'screen' at large distance (say, the shoreline): when the sweep velocity is measured by two points on the shoreline, it regularly exceeds 'c';
This is in reality equivalent to standing on top of the lighthouse and sweeping the landscape with a jet of water. The jet would simply bend as you turn around. The sweep velocity measured would be equal to the time it takes the water to travel from the lighthouse to point B, plus the time it takes to turn from direction A to B.
Old 21-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

Quote:
Originally Posted by noswonky View Post
The expansion of space is another example. Objects beyond a certain distance are moving away from us faster than light, making them unobservable. They are not moving through space faster than light, but the intervening space is expanding, so there is no violation of the speed limit.
With a black hole you can tell exactly where the crossover point is. Up until the event horizon the object from an observers point of view outside the black hole is still within the boundaries set by the speed of light. Once it crosses the event horizon and heads towards the singularity we cannot observe it as it travels faster than light.