Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15-01-2006, 05:17 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Question ToUcam Long Exposure Mod with a PC with No LPT Port

Hi guys,

I have a ToUcam with the long exposure mod. Unfortunately my laptop is a fairly modern thing with no LPT port to plug the long exposure lead into.
So I though it wouldn't be hard to fix, there must be a USB to parallel adapter available, so I got one.
Setback No 1 was when the thing arrived in the mail from Hong Kong (yes I bought it on the web...) and it has a Centronics plug. OK, no biggie, a little hack to attach a DB25 female socket...
Setback No 2 became evident when I plugged it in... the PC detects the cable/adapter OK but it doesn't create an LPT (printer) port in the system, it is simply recognised as a USB printing device...
I just competed the acid test today, and you guessed it... the long exposure mod won't work with this cable arrangement. I presume this is because the system doesn't have an LPT port to send the signal to...
One other option is to buy a USB portable docking station. I have seen them on the web for about $200 (can't remember now if this is A$ or US$) which has extra USB ports, serial ports, and an LPT port. The main deterrent from this for me apart from the cost is that this looks like it needs it's own power supply...
So before I go and lash out again on something that may not work, has anyone else had to deal with the problem of connecting a long exposure ToUcam to a PC with not LPT?
If so, what did you have to do to make it work, and am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

Al.
Old 15-01-2006, 05:33 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Hi Al.

Not sure if this will help you out or not because I have not actually read it thru.

May be worth a look though. http://members.chello.at/lateralus/usb_only_sc1/
Old 15-01-2006, 06:19 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

yes i am also keen to see whether or not a usb can work as i have a dob driver that like to talk thru the lpt port. I have thought a virtual lpt port could work, but am yet to even start looking yet
Old 15-01-2006, 07:07 PM
acropolite (Phil)

This probably won't help you Al but Pete uses Guidedog to autoguide through the LPT port (and Shoestring adapter) at the same time allowing connection of a modified webcam, that might solve your problem Dave. http://www.users.bigpond.com/lansma/...ng%20technique
Old 18-01-2006, 08:52 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Just to tie up this thread...

I have found a PCMCIA parallel card that definitiely registers on the system as an LPT port, so I have ordered one.

When I get it and test it, I'll post the results just in case someone else has a similar need in future.

Al.
Old 19-01-2006, 09:33 AM
bonox

you can convert them to run from a serial port trigger instead of parallel - search for it.

Would involve a couple of $2 plugs and some soldering on your part.
Old 19-01-2006, 10:22 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Can't a computer technician just fit a paralell port to your lappy?
Old 19-01-2006, 10:33 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons
Can't a computer technician just fit a paralell port to your lappy?

no Ken
Old 19-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

serial to parallel adapter

http://www.pk3.org/astro/k3ccdtools_...rt_adapter.htm

The above link has the answer. I also believe the BELKIN / EASYSYNC usb to serial will work to interafce this with your other USB port!
Old 19-01-2006, 04:46 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Thanks Merlin...

I don't seem to be able to get the link to work, but if it's on Peter K3's site I'll find it. I already have a USB serial adapter, but then again... now I also have a PCMCIA parallel card on the way too .

Never mind, thanks for the info!

Al.
Old 24-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

How did you go with the PCMCIA parallel port??????
Old 24-01-2006, 08:44 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Waiting... waiting... waiting...

I haven't received it yet... must be on a slow boat or something. It would be really nice if it arrived tomorrow so I can play with it at Lostock, but I won't get my hopes up.

I'll let you know when I get it!

Al.
Old 31-01-2006, 07:15 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Update: Its Arrived and It Works!

Well just to update this thread, the PCMCIA card arrived while I was at Lostock ... timing is everything!

But the good news is that this little gizmo is recognised as an LPT port in the laptop, and so my long exposure mod ToUcam is long exposuring!

I just need to learn how to drive it now! Its a bit cloudy tonight, but I'll have to play, photos of anything in the dark should be a good start!

Al.
Old 31-01-2006, 09:49 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

thats great, i use desire for longer exposure work.

qfocus used to be great for both avis and long exposure, but since i have reinstalled XP, i i have security issues with qfocus.

let me know for desire tips if you need a hand!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Experiments with SC1 mod

Did you get the chance to try the camera out?? Just interested in your first experiences and "learning curve" Going through the same with a SC1 and Starlight.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:03 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

G'Day Merlin,

Yes, I've managed to have a play with the camera in long exposure mode once! I set up, drift aligned using K3CCD tools and then managed to capture M42 and M45 (what else for a 1st attempt?).

I captured M42 on 60 sec exposures, and I noticed some field rotation between frames, so I suspect my OTA isn't parallel with my RA axis... need to spend some time working that out.

I played around with a few different exposures on the Pleiades down to about 15 seconds, trying to see how long I could go without the main stars blooming... they still bloomed at 15 seconds, so maybe I've got to play about with gain and brightness a bit more.

BTW I was using the ToUcam piggybacked to my C8 with a Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lens. FOV about the right size for the whole of Orion's sword.

Unfortunately it was a work night, so I had to pack up and come home ... there was no sign of dew... it would've been nice to stay up a bit later and try some other things but I pushed it as far as I could I think.

Interestingly, I've struck a problem when processing the files in Registax when using a dark frame... the resulting image ends up all psychdelic colours and I get an error when I try to go to the wavelet page... ??? I'll post an example in another thread and see if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong . I haven't had this happen before with photos from my C5060WZ.

Al.
Old 24-10-2010, 12:36 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

My apologies for dragging up this 4 1/2 year old thread of Al's but I now have the same problem.

Finally after 5 years of imaging and guiding with my Long Exposure modified Toucam through an old Compaq Armada 110 laptop, the poor old Compaq has finally died

The drama is that I really need another old cheap laptop with a Parallel Port, or a newer (cheap) laptop without the Parallel Port and use the solution Al used above.

But being a total computer illiterate, I still have no idea which card to use if I do find a cheap non-parallel laptop somewhere (if cheap ones exist).

Here are 2 styles of the one I think Al used but all the specs mean nothing to me. Which one do I need?

http://www.ieci.com.au/products/Prod...Product_ID=113

http://www.ieci.com.au/products/Prod...roduct_ID=4099

and will this one, that seems to only mention printers, work?
http://www.dinodirect.com/adapter-ca...8.html?cur=AUD

Thanks

PS: all this is if I can't find an old Parallel lappy, or if I do find a non-parallel lappy with a PCMCIA slot.
Erick did give me an old lappy to try about 6 months ago but being only 640mhz it won't drive the Toucam and Guidemaster
Old 24-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

A long time ago I built a parrellel and serial interface. The serial interface was simpler, more reliable and more likely to work with a USB/serial convertor. K3CCD has serial control built in too, it worked very well. I tried to find sites that refered to this mod, but they have seemed to disappeared. From memory though, the K3CCD site also had info on the serial mod.
Old 24-10-2010, 09:21 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

This one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
Its different to mine, but it "adds 1 true parallel port" meaning it will show on your laptop as an LPT port, which is what you need.

Al.
Old 24-10-2010, 11:12 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

They are physically different and only fit in one type of slot. You need to know which slots the laptop will have.

SPP-100 is a PCMCIA card (older style and just about everything except a notebook should have at least one)

SPPXP-100 is a PC Express card (newer style)

My Thinkpad has one of each.