Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-11-2010, 09:56 AM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Interesting Penrose paper hints of pre-Big-Bang era

I came across this very interesting paper by Penrose & Gurzadyan which seems to hint at our Universe being cyclic and provides some observations in favour of an era existing before the Big Bang.

Link: Concentric circles in WMAP data may provide evidence of violent
pre-Big-Bang activity
Old 23-11-2010, 11:58 AM
CraigS
Unpredictable

Hi Rolf;

Good one. Thanks for the heads-up ! This paper is hot off the press, also (16th Nov, 2010).

I kinda like Roger Penrose .. he's a bit of a maverick … and an ideas man. He also has 'the right stuff' to back it up.

Interesting theory. Seems a bit like the 'multiple bubbles' that Alan Guth has spoken of following his inflationary theory.

Got to wonder whether there's an 'old guard' movement (of perhaps, Fred Hoyle devotees), who still don't like the idea of there being a 'beginning' (ie: a 'Bang').

Be interesting to see what sort of reception this one gets amongst 'em all !

The final statement really represents a taunt to the Inflationists !! ….

Quote:
But for the reasons stated above, to reproduce the effects that we appear to see, within the framework of inflation, one would require a mechanism for producing recurrent explosive events close to the inflationary turn-off point. No such mechanism has ever been seriously contemplated.
The saga continues !

Cheers and thanks for the contribution. Good one.

PS: The journo article is a bit easier reading. The quote at the end is also noteworthy: "Among its challenges, cyclic cosmology still needs to explain the vast shift of scale between aeons, as well as why it requires all particles to lose their mass at some point in the future.". Cheers

Last edited by CraigS; 24-11-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 24-11-2010, 12:04 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Thanks for that. I gave it a quick once over. I will read it more critically later.

Fred Hoyle should have got the Nobel Prize in my opinion for his elucidation of nuclear sythesis in stars just before I was born! It was his later 'wacky' ideas that made the main stream scientists ignore him.

I am still in awe of the contents of this image where the Vela SN remnant is in front of an very much older remnant called the Gum Nebula.

Large image 4MB

http://d1355990.i49.quadrahosting.co...VELcol+nbM.jpg

If you want a near full resolution image here is an 18Mb version

http://d1355990.i49.quadrahosting.co...ELcol+nbXL.jpg

Bert