Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-07-2010, 07:33 PM
fuso (Anthony)

Andrews 1.25" ED 60° wide angle EP, any good?

Hi guys,
has anyone out there got an opinion of there EP ? I'm thinking of getting one or more for my new 8" dob. I'm also trying to find out if any US base astro company have them in their lineup. If I could find another brand/owner I could maybe find some o/s review on them.

Andrews 1.25" ED 60° wide angle eyepieces
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/images/...inch-60deg.jpg

TypePrice $(AUD)1.25" ED 60° 5mm eyepiece$69.001.25" ED 60° 8mm eyepiece$69.001.25" ED 60° 12mm eyepiece $69.001.25" ED 60° 15mm eyepiece $69.00
Old 30-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Fuso,

Yes, the ED Andrews EP's are quite good, just so you can compare, there is little difference between my ED 12.5mm ($69) and my Pentax XF 8.5mm ($230). The difference is better quality RIGHT to the edge with the Pentax, but for a difference of $160, its VERY hard to pick it.

My ED 12.5mm is often the first and generally only eyepiece I put in my 12" dob as it gives me 120X magnification and is a ripper of a cheap eyepiece, certainly leaves the standard Skywatcher and GSO plossls for dead. I end up scanning around the skies all night with this one in, and if I want to get any bigger, I use a barlow. I also have a Baader Hyperion (2 in one as its a 13mm and when you take the front off it becomes a 26mm) and this is better than the ED but again, not by much and this costs over $200 as well.

You wont' really find any reviews on them as they are a generic eyepiece that Andrews badges (similar to the York Optical ones), but take my word for it, they are a steal for the money.

PS. oh WAIT, I just clicked your link and saw these are the NEWER ones which I am not sure of, the ones I have are on the General Accessories page and only cost $49!!! This is what I am referring to and they are even BETTER value now than when I bought mine.

Cheers

Chris
Old 03-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Jeeps (Sam)
Waiting for a clear night

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuso View Post
Hi guys,
has anyone out there got an opinion of there EP ? I'm thinking of getting one or more for my new 8" dob. I'm also trying to find out if any US base astro company have them in their lineup. If I could find another brand/owner I could maybe find some o/s review on them.

Andrews 1.25" ED 60° wide angle eyepieces
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/images/...inch-60deg.jpg

TypePrice $(AUD)1.25" ED 60° 5mm eyepiece$69.001.25" ED 60° 8mm eyepiece$69.001.25" ED 60° 12mm eyepiece $69.001.25" ED 60° 15mm eyepiece $69.00

I just rang Andrews to grab one of those 60° wide angle eyepieces but they told me that they no longer stock them (they need to update the website)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriverone View Post
Hi Fuso,

Yes, the ED Andrews EP's are quite good, just so you can compare, there is little difference between my ED 12.5mm ($69) and my Pentax XF 8.5mm ($230). The difference is better quality RIGHT to the edge with the Pentax, but for a difference of $160, its VERY hard to pick it.

My ED 12.5mm is often the first and generally only eyepiece I put in my 12" dob as it gives me 120X magnification and is a ripper of a cheap eyepiece, certainly leaves the standard Skywatcher and GSO plossls for dead. I end up scanning around the skies all night with this one in, and if I want to get any bigger, I use a barlow. I also have a Baader Hyperion (2 in one as its a 13mm and when you take the front off it becomes a 26mm) and this is better than the ED but again, not by much and this costs over $200 as well.

You wont' really find any reviews on them as they are a generic eyepiece that Andrews badges (similar to the York Optical ones), but take my word for it, they are a steal for the money.

PS. oh WAIT, I just clicked your link and saw these are the NEWER ones which I am not sure of, the ones I have are on the General Accessories page and only cost $49!!! This is what I am referring to and they are even BETTER value now than when I bought mine.

Cheers

Chris

I ordered one of the 12.5mm ED ones for $49 so i'll see how it goes

cheers
Old 14-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Jeeps (Sam)
Waiting for a clear night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post
I ordered one of the 12.5mm ED ones for $49 so i'll see how it goes

cheers

It goes great! I have also just received my TMB 9mm planetary and the TMB is a tad better. The 12.5mm andrews is very 'quick' to focus - it snaps in quickly and there is little adjustment. The TMB planetary is easier to focus (you turn the focus knob more to reach focus allowing more adjustment) and appears to be a tad bit clearer especially towards the edge of the field. The Andrews piece is also not very forgiving with eye placement compared to the TMB.

Otherwise for the price it works well

cheers