Go Back   IceInSpace > IceInSpace > Website Feedback and FAQ
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:27 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Exclamation Posting topics in General Chat

I agree there's been an increasing trend to use the General Chat forum for way off-topic posts. Sometimes they've been ok, other times they do nothing but bring negativity and ill-feeling towards someone or something.

I've been letting a lot of them slide to see what happens but they're starting to get out of hand now - in number and in content. It's also usually only a small number of people contributing in those topics - but they are posting a lot because they have strong opinions on it.

This is an astronomy forum.

"General Chat" is not an "anything goes" forum. It's for general chat that doesn't belong in the other IIS Astronomy sub-forums, but it does not mean every type of topic is welcome.

Of course there is some leeway and we often talk about lots of non-astronomy type things in general chat. And in most cases, that's fine. It helps us to get to know each other better.

But if you want to discuss politics, religion and other general topics that only lead to arguments and negativity, then I'd prefer they were NOT posted on IceInSpace, as there are many other forums out there on the internet where these types of discussions can take place.

If you want to discuss politics, go here: http://www.politicsforum.org/
If you want to post lots of jokes, go here: http://www.jokesforum.com/
If you want to discuss religion, go here: http://www.religionforums.org/
If you want to discuss global warming again and again, go here: http://www.theenvironmentsite.org/fo...warming-forum/

It does not mean I'm going to start locking all off-topic threads, but I would definitely like to see them slowing down - especially the pointless ones, or the political or religions ones.

I'd prefer to see people self-moderate and stop posting them because they know it's the wishes of me, and of the majority of the community. If that doesn't happen, then I will have to start locking them.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:47 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

No problems Mike.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:28 AM
h0ughy (David)

lets hope the members out there read this post Mike
Old 07-11-2009, 09:53 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
I agree there's been an increasing trend to use the General Chat forum for way off-topic posts. Sometimes they've been ok, other times they do nothing but bring negativity and ill-feeling towards someone or something.

I've been letting a lot of them slide to see what happens but they're starting to get out of hand now - in number and in content. It's also usually only a small number of people contributing in those topics - but they are posting a lot because they have strong opinions on it.

"General Chat" is not an "anything goes" forum. It's for general chat that doesn't belong in the other IIS Astronomy sub-forums, but it does not mean every type of topic is welcome.

Of course there is some leeway and we often talk about lots of non-astronomy type things in general chat. And in most cases, that's fine. It helps us to get to know each other better.

But if you want to discuss politics, religion and other general topics that only lead to arguments and negativity, then I'd prefer they were NOT posted on IceInSpace, as there are many other forums out there on the internet where these types of discussions can take place.

If you want to discuss global warming again and again, go here: http://www.theenvironmentsite.org/fo...warming-forum/

It does not mean I'm going to start locking all off-topic threads, but I would definitely like to see them slowing down - especially the pointless ones, or the political or religions ones.

I'd prefer to see people self-moderate and stop posting them because they know it's the wishes of me, and of the majority of the community. If that doesn't happen, then I will have to start locking them.
Well said
Old 07-11-2009, 10:00 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

What I don't get is how people can label others "dum aussie rednecks" assuming that these have different vues than their own? And this is still going? C'mon? Double standard moderation.

Last edited by xstream; 07-11-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: bypass of profanity filter
Old 07-11-2009, 10:29 AM
BerrieK

Quote:

Well said Mike
Old 07-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:

Well said Mike.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 07-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

I will be good I promise
Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

:thum bsup:
Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I agree. I think light hearted off topic stuff is OK but there does seem to be lots threads getting very strongly opinionated responses. This is not really appropriate on this site.
Thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:29 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Well said Mike.

Also some people think it is okay to bypass the profanity filter, it is not okay to bypass it. Yes, I have edited one post in this thread.

Could we also please request you all familiarise your selves with TOS.

Thanks for your co-operation.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

About time.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 07-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I personally like Whirlpool forums In-The-News section for my argumentative needs.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:17 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

and theres always talkback radio!

one of the attractions for me still of IIS is the little slices of australiana, the vibe as they say, spending more time on international/US music forums, and generally less time on forums full stop, this is my only aussie content, i used to visit news.com.au a lot more for their readers comments on subjects like moot/OT one's here - which a lot of seem just cut and pasted from btw, but the dominant yell-over-the-top conservative voices broken record style and pithy play on words/names make me want to scream frankly, shame to see it here

Last edited by fringe_dweller; 07-11-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Come on if the threads that this new rule was created for is not relevant then I really have to question the reasoning behind a big thread on climate change and a stupid thread on AB machines can possibly be deemed more relevant.
Get real.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Hagar (Doug)

If i'm not mistaken, the poll on Global warning is now unlocked. I could have sworn it was locked earlier.
I understand from the above rules for general chat. Global Warming was a no no.
Looks like rules for one and not the other.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:19 PM
PCH (Paul)

I'd venture to suggest that more leeway is given to some than to others. IMO, when the OP of the recently closed "Boat People" thread referred to those who think differently to him as "dumb Aussies", the thread should have been closed immediately on at least two counts. A politically charged and verbally offensive statement like that is deplorable, - yet not a mod raised a voice against it. How can this be? Hmmm ....

Last edited by h0ughy; 07-11-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: removed swearing reference
Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I'd venture to suggest that more leeway is given to some than to others. IMO, when the OP of the recently closed "Boat People" thread referred to those who think differently to him as "dum Aussies", the thread should have been closed immediately on at least two counts. A politically charged and verbally offensive statement like that is deplorable, - yet not a mod raised a voice against it. How can this be? Hmmm ....
I made the exact same point Paul and that was rectified swiftly but I totally agree about the "leeway". I've seen posters being shut down for much less offensive comments.

Last edited by [1ponders]; 07-11-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Profanity filter avoidance
Old 07-11-2009, 02:24 PM
PCH (Paul)

Thanks Marc,

or would merci beaucoup be more to your liking. I'm glad it's not just my impression of things
Old 07-11-2009, 02:51 PM
FredSnerd (Claude)

I'm interested that David singled out the Poll thread re global warming for a special warning this morning. Right from the start people were asked not to offer an opinion about the issue but just vote (anonymously) and as far as threads go it is one of the most well behaved. Not a cross word since its inception a few days ago.

As I understand it the official line is that although “General Chat” is not really meant for non-astronomy subjects, some leeway will be given. Even if its not the intention what happens of course with a policy as arbitrary as “some leeway will be given” is that eventually it is always selectively applied to mean in effect “the subjects that we don’t mind or that are posted by people we don’t mind are ok and the ones that we do mind etc are not OK. And so such non astronomy related threads as “Derivatives – Say What”, did not get a special warning this morning, “CSIRO Gagging Climate Debate”, that was OK, “Telstra Shutting Down Free Website”, OK, “Heads UP Movie Amelia Hits Nov 12”, that was OK too. But a thread that asked people to vote anonymously but not offer an opinion and was extremely well behaved it seems went beyond the pale.

I wonder if the Mods have really sat down and asked themselves would it really be such a bad thing to let people discuss what they want. We are adults and we’re not just one dimensional beings. That discussion on refugees last night. Anyone who saw the title would have known what to expect when they went in. I’m sorry to have to say this but the Mods aren’t our fathers and mothers. Also, personally I think that thread did great credit to this forum. You talk about getting to know each other. Well I felt last night that I learn a lot about the people who come on this forum and they’re a bloody nice bunch of people. Sure there was disagreement and at times things were said that should not have been said but they eventually sorted it out (because were adults) and most importantly, with the smallest exception, everyone it seemed to me showed a genuine great deal of compassion for the plight of the refugees and ultimately would not have denied them a home (although they may have gone about it differently). Shutting down that site this morning was, IMO, ill advised, heavy handed, unnecessary and not done in a very nice, respectful way (yes we can read, we’re not children).

I know we owe a lot to Mike and the Mods for IIS and maybe we can never repay them. But IIS is not just Mike and the Mods. Its us too. Just as Mike and the Mods make IIS possible so do we and maybe what we want should be considered too. You know there are many ways of dealing with this from just letting it go as it has been going (which I personally don’t think is such a bad thing) to appointing a committee of volunteers (and thus taking the pressure off the mods) who would oversee specific sites for decorum etc and subject matter.

If we put our heads together we could come up with an accommodation I’m sure

Regards and the warmest wishes to you all

Claude
Closed Thread