ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > IceInSpace > IceInSpace Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2009, 06:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Exclamation IceInSpace 5th Birthday Celebration Competition - How IceInSpace Has Helped You!

Entries are Closed.

Entries Open from Monday 24th August 5pm until Thursday 3rd September 3pm (AEST).

IceInSpace turns 5 years old on September 13th, 2009, and we're running a simple giveaway competition to celebrate the occassion.

Over the last 5 years, IceInSpace has had a significant impact and made a significant contribution to the hobby of Amateur Astronomy in Australia, and around the world.

Now, we want to know what impact IceInSpace has had to YOU! How has IceInSpace helped you in amateur astronomy? What have you gotten out of IceInSpace? Inspiration? Motivation? Friendship? Knowledge? What keeps you coming back to visit IceInSpace every day or every week?

How To Enter

To be in the running, all you have to do is post a (relevant) reply in this IceInSpace 5th Birthday Competition - How IceInSpace Has Helped You entries thread.

The members who have replied will go into a draw, and 6 lucky winners will be pulled out of the virtual barrel. You have to post your reply between Monday 24th August 2009 5pm, and Thursday 3rd September 2009, 3pm (AEST).

For any questions, please visit the IceInSpace 5th Birthday Competition - Discussion Thread.

Rules and Conditions at the bottom of this post.

Prizes

The first prize winner will receive:
  • STAR Atlas PRO: Pro-Am Edition by SKY:Lab Astronomy Software (valued at $155)
  • Knowing (Nicholas Cage) DVD
  • Three issues of the official PUSH comic series
  • Double-pass to see PUSH in cinemas, valid nationally from September 10, 2009.

The first runner up will receive:
  • STAR Atlas PRO: Pro-Am Edition by SKY:Lab Astronomy Software (valued at $155)

4 additional runners-up will receive:

About the prizes:

PUSH

Only at the movies, September 10th 2009

In a dangerous world of psychic warfare, where artificially enhanced paranormals have the ability to move objects with their minds, see the future, and kill without touching their victims, a group of young American ex-pats with telekinetic abilities are in hiding from a secret US government agency.

A future-seeing Watcher, Cassie (Dakota Fanning), teams up with a telekinetic Mover, Nick (Chris Evans), to help steal a briefcase that will determine the future of civilisation. To outrun the government agents on their trail, they must enlist the help of a mysterious, mind-controlling Pusher, Kira (Camilla Belle).

As the complex series of events and interconnections unfold, the young psychics must employ their different talents and work together to escape the agency forever.

PUSH features an all star cast including Chris Evans (Fantastic Four), Camilla Belle (When a Stranger Calls), Dakota Fanning (War of the Worlds) and Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond).

http://www.iconmovies.com.au/push

STAR Atlas PRO

STAR Atlas: PRO™ is a spectacular Planetarium and Star Atlas packed with features for astronomers and stargazers of all levels.

Find the location of countless celestial objects in no time at all, display and print detailed star charts, point 'n click to control your telescope, plan observations, dozens more features.

Rules and Conditions
  • IceInSpace offers this promotional giveaway as a service to its loyal and active members.
  • The giveaway is open to registered IceInSpace Forum members including the moderators. The moderators are volunteers and have had no involvement in organising this competition, so they are eligible to enter. The administrators (mojo and iceman) are not eligible to enter.
  • Movie Ticket Prize Valid for Australian residents of IceInSpace only
  • This thread will be open for entries from 5pm Monday 24th August, until 3pm September 3rd, 2009 AEST.
  • On Thursday 3rd September 2009, the 6 winners will be drawn out of a virtual barrel and will be contacted via forum Private Message and may have their names displayed on this site. Make sure your profile is setup to receive PM's and ensure your email address is valid so that you can be contacted!.
  • All winners must acknowledge their prize within 3 days of the draw. In the event that a winner cannot be contacted, a new name will be drawn from the barrel.
  • The prizes cannot be converted to cash.
  • Comments or questions about the giveaway competition can be posted in the IceInSpace 5th Birthday Competition - Discussion Thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PRO_AM_Edition[1].jpg)
74.0 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (Knowing 3D [800x600].jpg)
48.3 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (Push_A4poster (low-res).jpg)
128.1 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (push_5_cvr [800x600].jpg)
57.3 KB50 views

Last edited by iceman; 03-09-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 24-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Ok since this thread was created @ 6am and still no replies im gonna be a dare devil and go first

Since joining IIS (on 28th January 2008) i have neally posted 3000 posts
The first thing i learnt from this site is collimating Thanks guys
I have learnt that size does matter
I have learnt the do's and donts of polar aligning (still waiting for a nice night to give that a try)
The astro pics that float around here made me realise that any backyarder can produce beautiful images not just the hubble scope etc with a lot of patience and time of course
That i need my own secret bank account to spend a lot more money on astro gear
The genorosity of other IIS members in here is amazing
I have even got plenty of IT help form members in this forum
I have so far met 2 IIS members and cant wait to meet many more of you in the future.
Love the laughs and jokes i have had with many of you in here
Thanks guys/girls the first time i came in here i grabed the nearest comfy couch and made myself at home in here :thum bsup:
Ok next -------------->
Old 25-08-2009, 01:33 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Mike, how does one fit an answer to that into just one post?
But I'll keep it short by listing the main reason why I keep coming back to IIS.
The most important thing to me is the friendships that I've made here. My dear, close friends whom I would never have met if it wasn't for this forum, and then there's the many others whom I regard as friends even though we've never met.
We're like an extended family, we share our thoughts, our experiences, our expertise and in this way our lives.
How could I go even one day without keeping in touch with you all.
Old 25-08-2009, 07:16 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Relieved the weight in my wallet.
Old 25-08-2009, 08:44 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

When I bought my scope a few years ago to get back into it, I was all setup to start again from where I left off from astronomy back in the mid 80s.

Living remote from anywhere that has an astro society or club, my learning curve would've been very slow and difficult. I think that's the biggest advantage I've gotten from IIS, help and knowledge that's now available even if you can't get to club. No doubt that help, and seeing what others are doing, has provided ideas and motivation.

Specifically how has IIS helped me?
  • Learned how to use webcams and CCD cameras for astro work
  • Learned how to process CCD astro photos in Registax, DSS, PS CS3 (still in progress)
  • Learned how to use K3ccdtools for both image capture, some processing and optimising drift alignment
  • Learned how to capture spectra with a Staranalyser and to process them with Visual Spec, and I'm learning how to interpret them
  • I've got no end of help with IT and astro problems
  • I get appreciate some fantastic photographic work of others on IIs and learn from what they are doing.
  • I got a 16" lightbridge and an observatory!
  • I enjoy some laughs and online debates
  • I like being able to help others.
Thanks guys! (that means everyone... couldn't do it without you!)

Al.
Old 25-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

IIS is one of the great Aussie websites in my mind.

What have I got out of IIS? An amazing wealth of info.

I have met a lot of great people that share the same passion.

My imaging has improved amazingly, I have learn't how to use the imaging software I have to turn fuzzy blobs into half decent images.

Thanks IIS and all its members for a fantastic five years and here's to another five years.
Old 25-08-2009, 02:10 PM
claude2570

Well Ice in space... lets see...

Well its like this, it has made me a better amateur astronomer, due to having friends here who just help you, with simple questions to the more difficult questions.. Its a community that i like, and has made me help others along the way aswell..

I have gain experience from learning from others and this is what i have come to love astronomy and about Ice in Space.

As a WSAAG member myself, and on the committee, learning from people who have been in astronomy more that i have, has made me teach or help others and i find that rewarding, motivating and gives me a sense of achievement from were i have come from till now..

I hope i can be part of Ice in Space, aswell as a WSAAGer.. as long as i can and hope to help or just give advise on what i have learn to others, so they can give advise and so on and so on..

Thanks and keep up the great work and

Explore our wonderful universe...

As i always say... "The universe is a my playground"

claude
Old 25-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Quark (Trevor)

I had been involved in astronomy at various levels for many years before I discovered IIS. Living in the remote outback my appetite for astronomy was fed by occasional visits to the SPSP and a foray into the tertiary education system via distance ed.

On IIS I have come across others as passionate as me about their astronomy. My planetary imaging would not have progressed as rapidly if it were not for the advice I have received on IIS. The cream of Australian amateur planetary imagers post here and the ones I have spoken to have been very approachable and freely share their experiences.

I have no one out here in my region that I can discuss imaging problems with or talk to regarding experimentation with various processing techniques.

But for my time on IIS ( since April 2008, I think), I would not have gained such an understanding of Peltier cooling and probably would not have given any thought to building one. As a result of the improvement in my imaging I am now part of several international groups involved in planetary research.

When given the opportunity to observe with the Keck Telescopes at 14,000 ft on the summit of Mauna Kea it was with great pride that I wore my IIS beanie.

During my time on IIS I have made friendships with people that I would have never met but for IIS.
Old 25-08-2009, 07:03 PM
seanliddelow (Sean)
Astro-Addict

Since joining Ice in Space I have been helped by ametuar astronomers of all ages. I have made friendships and I have contacted fellow astronomy club members through IIS. This has helped me to find out many events. I have also recently purchased a new telescope, without IIS I would not know the pros and cons of certain telescopes. IIS has also made life easier because without a trolley, I would be lifting my own weight.
Everyone on IIS is friendly and they always are there to offer you advice. I would reccomend ice in space to any fellow astronomer.

Great work Mike
Old 25-08-2009, 07:26 PM
cookie8 (Vincent)
Hooked since Halley's

Since joining IIS I have:
  • learned how to modify my 12"Dob
  • learned how to find the south celestial pole
  • bought all the gears I need second hand from forum members to start astro imaging
  • Sold a few unwanted items
  • made a few friends
  • obtained numerous tips and encouragements.
  • ...and never ending gorgeous astrophotos to please me eyes!!
Old 25-08-2009, 10:53 PM
TheDecepticon

For me, it would have to be pretty much the same as the others. A group of people with the same desire to learn, image and explore the universe. Without the forums help, I don't think my imaging would have come so far and now I'm moving on to my third camera. A bit of a giggle here and there and frivolous chit chat to wash away the dull drudgery of every day life!!
Old 26-08-2009, 08:39 AM
h0ughy (David)

from pleabian to moderator, there is a lot of astro growth in there, and some great people i met on the way at astro parties.....never would have been achieved without this site
Old 26-08-2009, 10:21 AM
avandonk
avandonk

The one thing that IIS has given me is a community of like minded individuals all with differering backgrounds and expertise. Being helped is not as satisfying as helping others. Both are close.

If I have stirred anyone I am not sorry. Free and fearless exchange of ideas is what this is all about.

Bert
Old 26-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Benno85 (Ben)

Just one reply isn't enough to do my answer justice, but I'll try nonetheless

With the stresses that we all experience in today's modern world, this forum comes as a much needed relief. The constant struggle of work, loving and caring for a beautiful wife with mental health issues and raising a budding 3-year old star boy, when all are sound asleep and dreaming, it is this welcoming and soothing forum, and more specifically the truly unique and wonderful members that provide the fuel for my own passion and imagination about the night sky.

From the early days as an ABSOLUTE beginner who couldn't work out his Plossls from his Bob's Knobs, I love that through the help and kindness of this forum and its members I've come along way in this game, but love even more the fact that I have so much further to go.

I could ramble much further about the DIY tricks and tips and simple yet effective guides which this forum abounds with, but at the end of the day the one thing that rings truest is the fact that as a part of this forum, I'm a part of something much bigger than myself.....just like the Universe

Benno.
Old 26-08-2009, 04:58 PM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

IIS has been a fantastic forum and knowledgebase where I've not only been helped over and over again but had the opportunity to help others starting out as well
It's been great to also meet fellow members at various get togethers
Old 26-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Big Dave (Dave)
Telescopes keep me poor

My most valuable use is talking to people in the forums and then meeting them at a astro-camp and feeling like you have known them for years; where really it is the first time meeting face-to-face.
Ok, also the buy and sell is handy and very active!
Old 26-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Ice In Space (IIS) & How It Has Helped Me.

Ice In Space is a unique community of people who have a common interest: Astronomy. But it isn't limited just to Astronomy, almost anything can become the next hot topic here. Like spelling......

One of the most valuable aspects of IIS is the diversity of the topics, the people and the knowledge locked within its virtual walls. The amount of information that can be gleaned from a simple 30 second post asking for help or for advice is staggering.

If you want to get into webcam imaging and need some advice or tips on how to process, ask Ice In Space!

If you fancy learning more about the night sky, ask Ice In Space!

If you want to buy a new telescope, but are not quite sure as to the best choice or have some doubts, ask Ice In Space!

If you are lonely and need some interaction with friends, colleagues, or simply a friendly ear, ask Ice In Space!

If you want to be witness to International Astronomy News as it breaks, ask Ice In Space!

But one of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned in IIS in the 18 months since becoming a member is: NEVER buy a telescope (or accessory) before asking here first, you will most likely regret it because, you will find a cheaper/better/more featured/more suitable item here the day AFTER you buy it on your own.

Ice In Space is my favourite website and one of the most valuable resources I have ever come across.

Happy 5th Birthday, Ice In Space.

Hip Hip, Hooray!

Chris
Old 27-08-2009, 06:56 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I think you could class this question in with other philosphical questions like "How deep is a hole?"...

I am not sure that I could put into mere words all of the ways that IIS has helped me.

#1 It has helped me become a better observer through helpful hints and suggestions of others
#2 It has helped me learn about new gear and how to better express my opinons about it
#3 It has helped me find some friends that share a common passion (in this instance the night sky)
#4 It has helped me reach out to others to share my opinon and reinforce that it has worth.
Old 27-08-2009, 12:01 PM
StevenA (Steven)

Happy 5th Birthday

wow! Their is so much to say when it comes to what I have recieved from being a member of IIS and using this site. I could talk about the information I have gleaned from just reading the forums and article provided. I could talk about the help people have offered when I have asked questions. The 'thing' I get the most of is the
Commerardiary (Spelling ?) and Friendship.
Member have been inspiration for me in this socially awkward interest. After all it is a late night type of obssession and most are already winding down for the night or are already asleep. It is basically a lone interest They have also been supportive and sympathetic too. When things have been hard they inspired me to keep trying and help to resolve the problem by giving advice or more information. Sympathy or empathy has been forth coming when I have needed it but have not expressed the need. ISS members seem to be aware of more than what is simply written. They read between the lines. Ametuer Astronomers are more than average people they are intuitive and intelligent. THis I have learnt from the ISS site.
So what have I 'got' from being a member of the ISS site and how has it helped me? Well I have been helped both emotively and physically (when a kind person sent me a couple of EP's; the ones I had were old and scratched). Most importantly of all I have been given "Friendship".
For this I am truly grateful.
Old 27-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

This thread has been awsome to read

Closed Thread