Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 13-07-2009, 11:16 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Galileoscope - first light

Too late tonight - detail tomorrow if I get time.

The most impressive item I have ever seen at the price of US$15!

Easy to build, a solid result, but a nuisance to focus.

But Jupiter and its Moons - easy. The Jewel Box - nice and major stars resolved well. Omega Centauri - a nice bright fuzzball.

I even think I could see M104 with averted imagination. Just need darker skies, I think.

The 2x barlow makes viewing a bit tougher, but it filled the FOV with Jupiter and its moons.

Couldn't pull focus when I put a diagonal in. I'll have to experiment with some of my 1.25" eyepieces when I can.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:08 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Couple of photos:-

Set up ready for some terrestrial testing at lunchtime.

Sun warning label provided

"Gun sight" aiming quite accurate, but difficult to see in the dark - might need a little red light to assist.

Just checked the cost as I threw away the paperwork. Might be USD15, but it cost me AUD55 to get each one of two into my hands. I've heard of one larger order coming into Australia - perhaps some will be available are a more reasonable AUD price. I would think that AUD30-35 in hand would be very reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Scope #01.jpg)
152.4 KB256 views
Click for full-size image (Scope #02.jpg)
108.9 KB175 views
Click for full-size image (Scope #03.jpg)
133.1 KB213 views
Old 14-07-2009, 10:26 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Looks like a fun project Eric.
Might buy one for the kiddlywinks to put together.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:35 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Looks like a fun project Eric.
Might buy one for the kiddlywinks to put together.
Easy as..... Just need to keep fingerprints off the objective lens - easy, and off the eyepiece/barlow lenses - harder! It looks quite indestructible to me.

Good video of construction here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1iByPaAG0U
Old 14-07-2009, 01:10 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

This is fun!

Afocal with the supplied (built!) 20mm (25x) eyepiece in place. Doesn't look too bad right to the edge of field. Focus a bit off - might be camera rather than scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Scope #04.jpg)
135.8 KB168 views

Last edited by erick; 14-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 14-07-2009, 01:12 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

This gives nice terrestrial views- 20mm TV plossl with a Vixen "Terrestrial adapter"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Scope #07.jpg)
96.2 KB157 views
Old 14-07-2009, 01:19 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

And I can reach focus The whole 100deg AFOV field is there. The 3x barlow I had to use (my only 1.25" barlow) took the whole train to 115x - that's pushing it for this scope!

Scope - USD15; Barlow/diagonal/eyepiece - USD680

ps. I made sure the tripod was nipped up firmly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Scope #05.jpg)
61.9 KB219 views
Click for full-size image (Scope #06.jpg)
161.8 KB171 views
Old 14-07-2009, 01:21 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

I agree eric - the objective is very nice - the ep's feel like you are looking thru a pinhole though - very difficult - changing the build of the eyepieces is difficult too , i would not do it at ight

i put in a japanese k25 i bought here just for the galileoscope, easy to focus - te focuser held the ep easily (i would ot put a ethos or big pan in though). focus across field was very good - the close focus was about 4M - i could see the kids heads clearly in the hall

by the way -with the exchange rate the ten i bought cost about $43 each, if i had waited few more weeks when the dollar rose they would have been under $40 i calculated
Old 14-07-2009, 01:30 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I have a sense the focusser might slide at elevation under heavier loads. I'll test that sometime. But it looks like a little modification could firm up the grip on the focusser draw tube, if necessary.

That "gunsight" is good. Except, you need to be able to focus simultaneously on the gun sight elements and the distant objects. For Eric juggling several pairs of distance and close glasses - there is little hope! Kids should do fine with their excellent young eyes.
Old 14-07-2009, 01:33 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post

I agree eric - the objective is very nice - the ep's feel like you are looking thru a pinhole though - very difficult - changing the build of the eyepieces is difficult too , i would not do it at night
Yes, I wouldn't touch them at night. The 20mm plossl is quite good - for the price (like almost nothing). The 2x barlow is not great - edge of field goes horrible. I might have another look at how I built it and a closer look at those two small lenses. It should be better. Centre of field is OK, though, with that barlow in place. But I did use the TV 3x barlow and it gives a good result!
Old 14-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Crikey Eric - I didn't realise that they'd shipped yet. I haven't ordered one, but yet may. I remember looking into getting a number sent out for resale at astronomy club public nights, but shipping was stupidly expensive. They wouldn't even consider bulk rates.

So - it'll be interesting to see it perform at night then. Are you going leave the camera at prime focus for tonight?
Old 14-07-2009, 03:41 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
....Are you going leave the camera at prime focus for tonight?
Nope, but I may plonk a webcam into it at some stage.
Old 15-07-2009, 12:26 AM
picklesrules (Nicholas)

Just wondering how long it took for postage I'm thinking of buying one for my dad for his birthday next month
Old 15-07-2009, 08:33 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Nicholas

It took quite some months for my order, but I was part of the first orders they took before they swung into production. I think they are now delivering the first 60,000 worldwide.

Their site states:-

"Orders placed after June 1st should be delivered within 4 to 6 weeks of the order date."

So I don't know.

However, I've been hoping some clubs have bought in large stocks and will make them available. I haven't heard as yet.

It really has to be a bulk order to get the shipping costs down. It might be USD15 for the scope, but shipping to Australia is quoted at USD28.08 each for up to four scopes.
Old 15-07-2009, 08:42 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Their site states:-

"Star Diagonals Many customers have asked if they can use a star diagonal with the Galileoscope. (That's a common accessory that goes between the telescope and eyepiece and enables you to avoid having to crane your neck when observing celestial objects high overhead.) The Galileoscope is designed for straight-through viewing. There's not enough “in focus” to permit the use of most star diagonals (we haven't tested them all, but we haven't found one yet that works)."

I'm not going to let a little statement like "it cannot be done" stop me! Answer, place a barlow before the diagonal. I only had a 3x barlow in 1.25" to test and it works (see below with the Ethos in place!) I have picked up a shorter 1.25" and only 2x overnight (thanks Rob and IIS classifieds) and hope that will work.
Old 15-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Barrykgerdes

Here's a little trick I used for increasing the focal length to allow using a star diagonal.

Most of the good quality star diagonals have a thread in the attaching tube and it is the same thread as the lens in a Meade/Celestron barlow. This increases the focal length (at the expense of increase magnification). Making a pseudo Barlow like this saves having to actually use a barlow.

Barry
Old 15-07-2009, 10:37 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykgerdes View Post
Here's a little trick I used for increasing the focal length to allow using a star diagonal.

Most of the good quality star diagonals have a thread in the attaching tube and it is the same thread as the lens in a Meade/Celestron barlow. This increases the focal length (at the expense of increase magnification). Making a pseudo Barlow like this saves having to actually use a barlow.

Barry
Puuuuuuuuuuuurfect! I'll try that! Weight is my enemy here. Thanks Barry
Old 15-07-2009, 06:39 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Tried Televue barlow lens - won't fit the diagonal - different thread. The diagonal has a standard filter thread. OK, I'll wait for the next barlow that is coming and see if that will fit.
Old 16-07-2009, 09:47 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post

The 2x barlow is not great - edge of field goes horrible. I might have another look at how I built it and a closer look at those two small lenses. It should be better. Centre of field is OK, though, with that barlow in place.
OK, yes I had one of the lenses around the wrong way. Instructions supplied do not give sufficient information (or I didn't RTFI!). See attached. I had the lens marked "*" around the wrong way. Note that the two sets of instructions from the website (above and below the line) describe that lens differently. Mine is flat one side and convex the other.

Now to test again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Galileo eyepiece _001.pdf (103.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 16-07-2009, 09:49 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I seem to be dominating this thread