Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-06-2009, 07:14 PM
jase (Jason)

Rho Ophiuchus Nebulae Complex

Hi All,
A while between posts again, so I'm pleased to present an image in which I've been working on for a while. Data collection stalled a few times due to weather and other commitments. The inspiration to produce this image originally came from fellow member, Humayun (Octane) who posted a similar scene back in July 2007 - most impressed by this, two years later I decided to focus my efforts.

So here's my rendition of the Rho Ophiuchus Nebulae Complex.
Warning: large resolutions may take time to load.

About the target;
The Rho Ophiuchus Nebulae Complex is located in the constellation of Ophiuchus, and is perhaps one of the most colourful and intriguing areas of the night sky. It features, the red giant Antares, the Ophiuchi triple star surrounded in reflection nebulae (IC4604). In addition, present is a globular cluster (M4) with a dense star core accompanied by a the small cluster (NGC6144) and various segments of dark nebulae. The red-supergiant star Antares dominates the image and is surrounded by unusual yellow reflection nebulosity. Antares is approximately 700 light years away and is 10,000 times more luminous than our Sun. The sensational blue IC 4604 reflection nebula surrounding the Rho Ophiuchi triple star is intriguing feature of this complex. It is a result of interstellar dust that is illuminated by nearby stars. The red areas of this image are red emission nebulae that are created by hydrogen gas emitting light. The dark areas are not star void, but are dark nebula where thick dust clouds are obscuring background stars.

A few words on the image;
The image is an eight panel LRGB mosaic covering approx 7.2 x 9.5 degrees (two hours data per panel). While the FSQ has a spacious FOV, it simply doesn't do the area justice as a single frame. I kept the overlap percentage relatively large - TheSky data acquisition plan is attached for reference. Post registration, I stitched the luminance frames together, then proceeded to work on the RGB. The two were then introduced. Could have spent more time on stitching as some frames didn't blend so well. Luminance is typically easy, chrominance is a different story. The RGB data was particularly complex to work on with due subtle colour shifts and matching challenges. I originally thought the brightening toward the bottom right of the image was a gradient until I realised that its the natural glow of the galactic plane. A heavily DDP stretched and saturated RGB layer provide the vibrant hues notorious of the region. Not much else to add, processing was similar to the MW9 mosaic so you can read up on other aspects of the workflow if desired. The presented full resolution image has been reduced in size by 50%. The original is simply too large for web production without introducing jpeg compression artefacts.

Certainly not my best that's for sure - poor conditions while acquiring some of the green filtered subs has resulted in background hues in areas which have been difficult to chase, and maintain colour fidelity across the panels, overall its a mess IMO and I'm tiring of bright star reflections that the Custom Scientific filters deliver with this set up, so have a set Astrodon GenII's coming shortly.

A big shout-out to Bert (avandonk) who provided the scaffold image in which I utilised to correct frame rotation, ensuring optimal alignment of the panels - the 300mm lens delivers a lovely flat wide field. Much appreciated, thanks!

Anyway, enjoy it for what its worth!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RHOPlan.jpg)
197.2 KB276 views
Old 29-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

A truly splendid rendition of one of the most beautiful regions of the southern sky. Well done Jase.
Old 29-06-2009, 07:35 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Fan-bloody-tastic mate... Rotated it 90 degrees to the left and set it as my desktop background.... Brilliant.
Old 29-06-2009, 07:35 PM
leon

Ah man, he has done it again, that is something so awesome I'm star struck, a great piece of imaging Jase.

Leon
Old 29-06-2009, 07:44 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

You have nailed it Jase the best i have ever seen very well done
Old 29-06-2009, 07:45 PM
TrevorW

Don't you just dislike show offs

:thum bsup:
Old 29-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Wow, that fair jumped out of the screen on opening Jase. Non of your woozy subtlty you normal see on this one. Excellent, high dynamic range, smooth and detailed. A pleasent surprise.
Old 29-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Truly amazing image Jase. The colours are spectacular. One of the best I have seen of this region.

Just beautiful.
Old 29-06-2009, 07:55 PM
avandonk
avandonk

What was it they said about one of Mozarts compositions.... TOO many notes that made it incomprehensible.

I feel the same about this image as it shows things I/we have never seen.

Absolutely brilliant image Jase!

What Jase is getting at for mosaics is that you are trying to project a spherical surface onto a flat or planar one. If you just use Registar to stick your frames together they will distort. If you have a scaffold image at a shorter say half the focal length that is rectilinear then it is a simple matter to keep the high resolution mosaic under control.

Bert

Last edited by avandonk; 29-06-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 29-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Magnificent , truely magnificent Jase. A lot of work but the finished product is fantastic.

Thanks for sharing this one.
Old 29-06-2009, 08:19 PM
jase (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
A truly splendid rendition of one of the most beautiful regions of the southern sky. Well done Jase.
Cheers Peter. Pleased you like it. Was one of those images I sat on for a while...kind of mulling over the data, pushing its boundaries until I found something that worked. Still think its a mess though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Fan-bloody-tastic mate... Rotated it 90 degrees to the left and set it as my desktop background.... Brilliant.
Thanks Alex. Go for broke mate. Technically it should be rotated to the right when you look at much wide FOV's. In the good ol'days, imagers use to refer to north as being up for orientation. These days, north could be any direction given instrument rotators and the like. For reference the instrument PA was set to 245.1 degrees. Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Ah man, he has done it again, that is something so awesome I'm star struck, a great piece of imaging Jase.

Leon
Cheers Leon. I recall you were giving the area a go too with the FSQ. Keep at it. As seen in Humayan's image, its a great target for DSLR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
You have nailed it Jase the best i have ever seen very well done
Thanks Alan for your comments. Certainly an interesting area with various targets about. An imagers delight (and challenge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Don't you just dislike show offs

:thum bsup:
Cheers Trevor. Will try to keep it low key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Wow, that fair jumped out of the screen on opening Jase. Non of your woozy subtlty you normal see on this one. Excellent, high dynamic range, smooth and detailed. A pleasent surprise.
Thanks Fred. I liken the M20 - it is best suited to higher saturation of hues to do the region justice. There is plenty to see. As with many wide field shots, you start to see other imaging possibilities at longer focal lengths. Pleased you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Truly amazing image Jase. The colours are spectacular. One of the best I have seen of this region.

Just beautiful.
Appreciate the kind word Matty. Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
What was it they said about one of Mozarts compositions.... TOO many notes that made it incomprehensible.

I feel the same about this image as it shows things I/we have never seen.

Absolutely brilliant image Jase!

Bert
No, thank you Bert. Without your assistance in providing the scaffold image I doubt the end result would be the same or at the very least the workload would have doubled. I've often thought about purchasing a 135mm lens simply to produce the scaffold images for longer focal length mosaic plans. Perhaps, its cheaper if send you a PM to nail the area for me. Thanks again for your assistance and comments on the image. Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Magnificent , truely magnificent Jase. A lot of work but the finished product is fantastic.

Thanks for sharing this one.
Thanks Doug. Still think you should have stuck it out with a mono chip and filters. Yes the workload in producing an image is tripled, but as you say the finished product is what counts. Thanks again for your kind words.

==================

Thanks again all.

Cheers

Last edited by jase; 29-06-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 29-06-2009, 08:25 PM
jase (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
What Jase is getting at for mosaics is that you are trying to project a spherical surface onto a flat or planar one. If you just use Registar to stick your frames together they will distort. If you have a scaffold image at a shorter say half the focal length that is rectilinear then it is a simple matter to keep the high resolution mosaic under control.

Bert
Yep, you're right on the money Bert. Without a scaffold image it makes producing a mosaic troublesome to say the least.
Old 29-06-2009, 08:34 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Breath taking!
Old 29-06-2009, 08:39 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Holy snapping duck-crap. I'm only new to this sport, and I've still seen some pretty impressive images of that region. This one seems to have a slightly different feel to it than the others, and it's certainly very appealing and top of the list. Love the dust and colours and detail and scale and composition and focus and ...
Old 29-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Paul Haese

Lovely work Jase. Fantastic colours and very smooooth.
Old 29-06-2009, 09:08 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

One of the best renditions of this area I've seen Jase. Vibrant, balanced colour and fantastic detail for this wide a field.

Cheers, Marcus
Old 29-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Jase,

Bravo, bravo. *round of applause*

That is one of the most beautiful images I've ever seen. *gobsmacked*

I was waiting for this piece from you and I'm so happy to finally see it.

Congratulations.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 29-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Wouldve creamed DM, juuusstt too late
Old 29-06-2009, 09:53 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Truely awesome! I really like the framing and the way you've provided for the extensions going all the way down. The brown lanes really standout against the star background and the blues really pop. Must have been a real challenge to blend the panels and match the seams with that many stars in the overlap areas. Inspirational both in term of acquisition and processing. That's the kind of stuff that makes me wanna do better
Old 29-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Paul K

A beautiful image !!