Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 17-02-2008, 09:26 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

Skyline 18-52x80 mm Zoom Binoculars

Hi everyone,

This weekend I've been to several astronomy shops and also looked at the webspace to find a astronomical/Giant binoculars.

I've came accross with a big variety and big difference in prices via brands and quality. A frind of mine that is in the US atm, told me about

Skyline 18-52x80 mm Zoom Binoculars

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=313100

www.skylineusainc.com

I've never heard of them and someone at YorkOptical that I've been have not heard either....

Does anyone here knows the brand and/or the quality of their binoculars ?

It's seems pretty cheap and it has claimed to have Fully coated lenses, with anti-glare Ruby coating. Top-quality BaK-4 porro prism

Thanks in advance

T10
Old 17-02-2008, 10:30 PM
coldspace

All though I have not seen this type, be very carefull as they sound way to cheapppppp to offer any real quality. I had a friend last year who raced out without looking into things and bought a similar type off the internet and when he received them he coud not get the two images to focus into one. He ended up throwing them in the bin from frustration. Bino's this size will need a mount to use them and if you want some for general hand panning of the sky don't get any bigger than 9 x 63's. I would not worry about zoom features in bino's as the higher magnification will make them harder to use unless you have a sturdy mount. Go for aperature and less mag. to give great open views up there then use a telescope for zooming in. Just my 2 cents worth.

Matt.
Old 17-02-2008, 10:45 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi T10

Have you read up as much as you can about binoculars for astronomy? Do you have a pair already? What are they and what is your experience with them?

You could read here:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,374,0,0,1,0

and go to AOE's page and look for their introductory articles on binoculars:-

www.aoe.com.au

Now, just from what you wrote, these binoculars have a ruby coating (looks red at the field lens (the other end to the eye)). These are designed to reduce glare for daytime viewing. They reportedly just reduce the light collected in astronomical situations. You should be look for FMC only - fully multi-coated on all surfaces. They often have a green appearance at the field lens.

The also are a zoom binocular - magnification ranges from 18 times to 52 times. Again, from what I read, most reviewers are not happy with zoom eyepieces - usually the mechanical performance doesn't keep stars in accurate focus as you move and adjust them.

Additionally, if you calculate exit pupil size, you will see the upper part of this magnification range does not produce a big enough exit pupil for astronomical use. It may be OK for daytime use in bright conditions.

The aperture of 80mm is also on the small side if you want to go to these higher magnifications - for astronomy use, the images will be not very bright.

If you are looking for a "giant" pair for astronomical use, think of a fixed magnification - 20x80 or 25x100 are common.

Be aware that, for astronomical use, any of these, including the pair you are looking at, will need a substantial mount - probably more than a basic tripod.

Sorry to be discouraging about this pair that you have found. Keep reading and search for threads on binoculars on this site - there is a lot of experience available. Ask more questions?

Eric

Last edited by erick; 18-02-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 17-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
These are designed to reduce glare for daytime viewing. They reportedly just reduce the light collected in astronomical situations. You should be look for FMC only - fully multi-coated on all surfaces.
Agree with Eric - in addition, ruby coatings can mask optical imperfections and thus allow wider manufacturing tolerances on the optics.

By the looks of it these binos are manufactured by Kunming Optical Co. - as are many others marketed under various different brand names. By my own experience their performance can vary widely...

And yes, they are cheap indeed... it may sound harsh, but you will probably get what you pay for.
Old 18-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Glenhuon (Bill)

My 20x80's are ebay ones, brand name Sakura. The coatings have a bluish tinge. Very happy with the performance. Cost me $85 including postage, but saw them recently at $50 Buy It Now + $20 postage. Seller was AusRiver if my memory serves me.
They are a bit heavy for handheld, so a tripod is pretty well essential for steady views.

Bill
Old 18-02-2008, 10:07 AM
chris lewis

Just to confirm the good advice from everyone above - basically do not buy them,. Zooms are not recommended esp. fpr astro use - narrow FOV, difficult to collimate and keep collimated, they will have abberations and distortions. They will basically be unusable. If they are faulty / uncollimated they are expensive to fix and not even worth it. Ruby coating block light transmission at a time when you need the maximum light available. I have seen about 10 of these entry level Chinese zoom binoculars in the last few months and they are all rubbish. [ non technical word !]. Do read up on binos. Do look thru many as you can. Buy a fixed pair of Hi quality ones that suit you. Good luck.
Old 18-02-2008, 10:12 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

Hi everyone,

Yes, and we learn a lot everyday.... First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your replies and taking your time in help me.
I'm an absolutely newbie here but, have a lot of intusiasm.

So cheers "coldspace, erick, Karlsson, Glenhuon and chris lewis"

Well, as suggested here by Erick, the AOE website is pretty good, they even have sections to educate you....I had a look at this website before and found very interesting..... below are few of the websites that I've been looking thru:

http://www.stargazing.net/david/binoculars/index.html

http://www.go-astronomy.com/articles...cs-viewing.htm

http://www.opticsplanet.com/msgboard/about8331.html

http://www.aoe.com.au/about_our_binoculars.html

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=81

http://www.yorkoptical.com.au/Produc...st,ProductName

http://www.binocular.com.au/Home/tab...st,ProductName

http://www.observers.org/beginner/j.r.f.binocular.html

http://www.astronomics.com/main/cate...FED4PV4/Page/1

http://www.astromelb.i.net.au/

I'm fully aware that the rules of quality applies and I could be just getting what I'm prepared to pay for.

I wasn't aware of what Erick alerted me: " designed to reduce glare for daytime viewing. They reportedly just reduce the light collected in astronomical situations. You should be look for FMC only - fully multi-coated on all surfaces. They often have a green appearance at the field lens." and that makes a lot of sense cheers mate...

I've got already a Bushnell 7x50 field 6.5' 114m/1000m Fully Coated optics.
It gives me a pretty clear view specially in the Sydney Harbour and I even had used it to watch the eclipse last August.

I also admit that I've read an article indicating that if you want a good Astronomical binoculars to stay away from compact and zoom types.

The real reason behind trying to find out about the Skyline 18-52x80 mm is that my friend is leaving US on Friday the 22nd and she can get the Skyline at a incredible discounted price...even better than shown at any american or asian websites....It's sort of a "deal" she's got it....
So, I've been searching to find out how good they are and if it's worth it....I will tell her to buy it for me....

Maybe I will use it as terrestrial and very amateurish for astronomy, and by researching and learning more, I will save more money and buy a decent piece....by that stage I might even decide to buy a telescope instead....

So, to recap.... I've learned that these pair is NOT a binoculars for Astronomy usage and that it could be rubbish as for such a cheap price..... website showing it for USD$59.97 - AUD$65.80 . She can get it for USD$35.00 !!! - AUD$ 38.40.... gosh...... not even 40 bucks !

Something is saying to me just to give it a go.....hummmmm

Bad move ? but it's only $38.40 !!!!

cheers and thanks again all

T10

Old 19-02-2008, 12:21 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader10 View Post

Maybe I will use it as terrestrial and very amateurish for astronomy, and by researching and learning more, I will save more money and buy a decent piece....by that stage I might even decide to buy a telescope instead....

So, to recap.... I've learned that these pair is NOT a binoculars for Astronomy usage and that it could be rubbish as for such a cheap price..... website showing it for USD$59.97 - AUD$65.80 . She can get it for USD$35.00 !!! - AUD$ 38.40.... gosh...... not even 40 bucks !

Something is saying to me just to give it a go.....hummmmm

Bad move ? but it's only $38.40 !!!!

cheers and thanks again all

T10
Looks like you want to give them a go - why not, for terrestrial use. If they survive the trip to you without a problem and if they will hold collimation and focus through the zoom, balance them on a handrail or on top of the car and look at everything on Sydney harbour, day or night - could be quite good. But point them at the sky and I don't think you'll be happy.

Even if they arrive a bit out of collimation, as long as the tilt grub screws can be found (sometimes they are not provided), you can probably return them to a reasonable conditional collimation. However, if they arrive with a internal prism way out of whack, they may be useless. Can your friend check them before handing over the money?

Let us know how it goes.
Eric

Last edited by erick; 26-02-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 26-02-2008, 09:30 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

Hi erick and all,

I finally got my Giant binoculars. Mind you, this is my first take on it as terrestrial views over the Sydney Harbour. I still have to test it at night.

PS: I'm a complately newbie...so don't take me wrong...LOL

At first impression, it feels pretty solid and not as cheap as I thought.
It came with a tripod adapter but, I haven't got a binoculars tripod so, I opted for my camera tripod that isn't the same thing.(not sturd enough for a 2kgs binoculars).

I went down to Cremorne Point and had the opportunity to test it during the day and watch the QE2.
I wa absolutely surprised on how at 18-25 magnification, the image showed up extremely sharp and clear...great gathering of light of it's 80mm.... I had a ball looking at the ship, the opera house, Sydney Tower and the Harbour Bridge.

At 18 to around 25 it's extremely sharp. Upto 35 it's very very good and impressive. But, when you go over and at the top 52x magnification it's still very difficult for me to get the whole picture as my fragile camera tripod and the not so sturdy attachment from the adapter to my tripod makes it extremely shaky(even thou I was holding it to help).

I will definetely need to purchase a heavy duty tripod. But, I probably already know that even with a proper mount tripod the image will not be as sharp at 52x as it;s at 18-25.

There are no accessories with the binoculars other than the adapter, a cheap bag. neck strap and a cleaning cloth.

I know what many will be thinking here..... LOL

Quote:
Look at this newbie.... I bet the binoculars is a rubbish and he thinks it's good....
Well, I do know that we get what we pay but, I'm happy with the surprising sharp views....since I've just have ultilised it twice, I will have to get back to you in a month and give a proper review on this binoculars.

ps: I was surprising how I could see so clearly a man at the last deck on the QE2 smoking his cigarrete from Circular Quay. Around 2.3-2.5kms from Cremorne Point using 35x80mm.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...num=1&ct=image

I'm very pleased LOL....

cheers all
Old 26-02-2008, 09:37 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Glad you are enjoying them. It will be interesting to see how they perform on the night sky.

Sounds like they are in collimation, which is good news. The view through each barrel came together in one clear image in your mind, without any feeling of eyestrain?

Let us know how they go on the Moon and stars.
Old 26-02-2008, 09:46 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

..." The view through each barrel came together in one clear image in your mind, without any feeling of eyestrain? "......

For my surprise it did came together in one clear image..... only a bit of feeling of eyestrain when I've tried to magnify to 52x , focus and hold it steady at the same time..... I will need a proper tripod to hold it....quite heavy.
Yes, I'll definetely let you know when I go out at night to hunt stars and the moon....can't wait.
cheers
Old 02-03-2008, 08:58 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

I had a ball today.
Went to various observation points around Lower and North Shore of Sydney. I've took some pictures via using a digital camera. Very amateurish but extremely intersting IMO....

I will post a sequence of photos.

The first one is from my new Giant Binoculars. The second photo is a race at the Sydney Harbour(sailboats/yachts, taken with my digital camera without any zoom. And the third photo is from my new binoculars at a magnification of 18x from the same race.

1. My new binos

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8625/p3021407yz8.jpg
Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

2. Race at the Sydney Harbour(sailboats/yachts, taken with my digital camera without any zoom

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5044/p3021342rh4.jpg
Old 02-03-2008, 09:01 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

3.Third photo is from my new binoculars at a magnification of 20x from the same race.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4691/p3021337zr1.jpg
Old 02-03-2008, 09:02 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

another one :

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3772/p3021340is0.jpg
Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

and one more :

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1803/p3021346ka2.jpg
Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Laurie Meintjes

A New Chum

Hi All

Just a quick first post to get the ball rolling. I have been interested in astronomy ever since I noticed the brief astronomy section in my highschool science textbook in South Africa in the 1950s (now that dates me!). It was not part of the syllabus, but I spent more time in those pages than in the pages I was supposed to read. Ah, the freedom of youth. More years than I care to recall have passed me by since then and I never took my interest any further, beyond an occasional look at the night sky through borrowed binoculars. Now, semi-retired and with a few dollars to spare, I'm planning to buy a decent pair of binoculars. I'm still in the "looking around" process, which is quite a task in itself because of the wide range of models (some relatively inexpensive and others marriage-busting expensive). But I will find something sooner or later.

Laurie M
Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Chippy (Nick)
Phoenix has landed

Hi Laurie,

I can recommend binoculars from aoe.com.au
I have found them very well made, great service and price.

I doubt very much you will stop at the binos. You are embarking on a long, wonderful and expensive journey. Have fun!

Nick.
Old 16-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Laurie Meintjes

Thanks, Nick. I have heard many positive comments about AOE, and will certainly explore this further. I did see a pair of Gerber 20 X 50 at our local shopping mall this morning, and from my cursory inspection they seem to be a good unit. But one's ability to give binoculars a good workout in a shopping mall is a little restricted. Price was a little under $400. I wonder whether you, or anyone else has had any experience with the Gerber 20 X 50.

regards

Laurie M