Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 30-01-2008, 04:28 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review: Modified 10" GSO Dob

Hi all

Sab has written a review of his Modified 10" GSO Dob.

You can read the review on the IceInSpace Reviews page, or directly by clicking on the link below:

Modified 10" GSO Dob

Thanks to Sab for writing the review. If you'd like to submit an article or review to IceInSpace, please contact me.

Last edited by iceman; 01-02-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:20 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review uploaded.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 AM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Nice review, well written. Sounds like it has an excellent mirror, as I assumed from reading all your reports the past six months.

How do you collimate it? Cheshire? Laser? Barlow laser?

Any sign of rust? Or has that issue been addressed on the GSO scopes now? I recall some that tended to develop rust spots.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:44 AM
§AB
Its only a column of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Nice review, well written. Sounds like it has an excellent mirror, as I assumed from reading all your reports the past six months.
Thanks mate I am no expert on star testing but I remember Dave saying the views according to him were "second to none" and/or "as good as in any 10" Dob I've seen", something along the lines of that, and the other day I got a very nice crisp trapezium at 357x, with the E and F components seperated from the primaries by miles of black space, so the mirror is probably very well figured I dunno how a star test should look so maybe an expert could check that out?

Quote:
How do you collimate it? Cheshire? Laser? Barlow laser?
I've got a sight tube but it has too much slop in the focuser so I use the cheshire. I centered the secondary as good as I can using the bottom end of the cheshire, centered the primary in the secondary and then use the reflection of the silver 45º angled plate in the cheshire to line up the primary's center spot. The cheshire has a wee bit of slop in the focuser aswell but I've been told it's not significant enough to make any noticable impact.

Quote:
Any sign of rust? Or has that issue been addressed on the GSO scopes now? I recall some that tended to develop rust spots.
Rust?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
duncan
Duncan

Excellent review. This will no doubt help many new and old prospective buyers to get into astronomy.
Very well done.
Cheers,
Duncan
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Rust?
That's what the flocking is designed to cover!!

I notice a bit of surface rust in my 8" which is reportedly about 18 months old now.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

I'm very happy the scope is in your hands.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:51 PM
§AB

^^ Taking it down to a dark location at Bass Hill tonight - see what this puppy can really do Hopefully the seeing will be good so I can hunt down some planetaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Excellent review. This will no doubt help many new and old prospective buyers to get into astronomy.
Very well done.
Cheers,
Duncan
Thanks mate
Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 PM
§AB

Spotted some sub-13th mag galaxies in Virgo with the scope last night. My first foray into galaxy territory with it and I'm impressed. The Sombrero was beautifully resolved. I shall update the review soon detailing the scope's performance on various galaxies.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

Excellent review. I have the same scope, picked up through the forums on IIS (ex mill).

Gives me a good basis to try and find the objects you've noted. I'm an absolute newbie!!!!!

May I ask what eyepieces you are using?

Regards,
Paul
Old 13-02-2008, 12:41 PM
§AB

Hi Paul,

I'm using Vixen LVWs but I have tried plossls with the scope which work well.
Old 18-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Chippy (Nick)
Phoenix has landed

I'd like to know more about the dew shield / light baffle (& flocking). What's it made out of etc - looks like it has velcro strip for attaching - anything else.

I'd like to make one for my 8" GSO dob. At present I'm using a plastic plant pot with bottom cut out - not pretty and makes it harder to navigate the dob :-(

Any info or suggestions appreciated!! :-)
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
doug mc

I first started observing back in 1979. The reflectors were pretty ordinary from asia in those days. How things have changed. I have recently owned and used a 8 inch f/5 skywatcher,8 inch f/6 gso dobs,5 inch f/8 orion refractor, 6 inch f/5 skywatcher refractor and a10 inch saxon dob. The GSO reflector shows the best difraction pattern and therefore best images of them all. In my opionion, the next best thing to 8 inch GSO reflector would be a 10 inch model.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:18 PM
§AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
I'd like to know more about the dew shield / light baffle (& flocking). What's it made out of etc - looks like it has velcro strip for attaching - anything else.

I'd like to make one for my 8" GSO dob. At present I'm using a plastic plant pot with bottom cut out - not pretty and makes it harder to navigate the dob :-(

Any info or suggestions appreciated!! :-)
The dewshield appears to be made from some sort of thin plastic and is held in place with velcro and holes in the material which fit over the spider adjustment knobs at the front of the tube.

I got the scope off David (Dave47tuc) so PM him for more info on the actual material and construction methods he used.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Guys,

the "dewshield on LB" thread about a half dozen down from this one details all the necessary info

Cheers,
Old 27-06-2008, 08:53 PM
doug mc

Hi there, just last night I had the opertunity to compare my GSO 8 inch reflector against a10 inch Saxon dob with a meade F4.5 mirror replacement. To my amazement the GSO mirror gave a sharper more detailed image of jupitors belt detailes. The only modifications on my reflector is a tube extension, and a smaller secondary. 40 mm instead of the standard 50mm.