Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-10-2007, 08:40 PM
astroAJ
Deep Sky King

Smile Buying a quick Collimator

Hi all

I’m interested in buying a quick collimator,
but I’m not sure which one and if there are different kinds of quick collimators

Thanks
Old 29-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

I use the bintel own brand laser collimator for my 12" newtonian and find it very quick and easy to use. Mind you, I don't think the instructions are very clear. I find the instruction at the following link very helpful.

http://www.andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html

Patrick
Old 30-10-2007, 12:00 AM
PCH (Paul)

Paddy,

fabulous link - thanks ! I also thought the intructions that came with both my Meade LB and the laser collimator that I bought were less than clear. But this video really clears it all up.

Cheers,
Old 30-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

I put this thread up a little while ago on the Astro Systems offering. It's the fastest and easiest collimation I've ever done.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...t=astrosystems

Mine arrived yesterday after an 8-day wait from the USA. Not bad.

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-11-2007, 10:50 AM
programmer
Computer tragic

I'd like to get a collimator today.. should I go for the "Bintel Laser Collimator Deluxe" $69 or the "Bintel Cheshire Collimator" $49? Assuming Bintel have their shipment in by now

Edit: no, they (Bintel Melbourne) won't have any collimators until the end of November!

Last edited by programmer; 09-11-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Astro78
Tripping in Space

Hi Programmer,

I can't comment on the cheshire but received a 2nd hand deluxe collimator a few days ago and assuming the thing itself is collimated, it's easy as.

Aligning the secondary takes seconds to a couple of minutes.

The primary takes a little longer, having to look down the front to see if the laser is hitting the center spot on the primary mirror.

Added later -> above back to front

Last edited by Astro78; 10-11-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro78 View Post
Hi Programmer,

I can't comment on the cheshire but received a 2nd hand deluxe collimator a few days ago and assuming the thing itself is collimated, it's easy as.

Aligning the secondary takes seconds to a couple of minutes.

The primary takes a little longer, having to look down the front to see if the laser is hitting the center spot on the primary mirror.
After lots of reading today, I've decided to get one of the cheshire eyepiece/collimators tomorrow. I think the one at Bintel is a sighting tube/cheshire combination device, if not I'll make a sighting tube myself. Really curious to see how much better my dob is when properly collimated as I'm pretty sure it's out more than a touch.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Having owned & used both tools I would say the best thing to start with is definitely the Combination Sighting / Cheshire tool, this tool can guide you in every single aspect of collimating your reflector. Make sure you do get the Combination tool, it makes it much easier.

One thing the laser collimator cannot do is to help you correctly adjust how far up or down the OTA the secondary is, ie aligning it square on to your focussor, and as that's the first step in the collimation process (and luckily the one that requires checking far less often than the other 2) that's why you should start out using the Combination Sighting/Cheshire tube.

Once you have everything tuned up using this Combination Tube then you can use a laser collimator to quickly and easily check / touch up the angular adjustment on both your secondary and primary mirrors before an observing session (ie after transporting your scope in the car, etc). Again don't get the "simple" version, make sure you get the "deluxe" type,ie the version that has the return beam & target. When you use it you will instantly see why it's MUCH better.

IT'S IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT OUT OF THE BOX THE LASER COLLIMATORS THEMSELVES ARE RARELY COLLIMATED!

To be successful in collimating with these tools the laser beam must leave the body of the collimator dead straight! There are 3 small adjusting screws (smallest driver in the jewellers set I have) that control the exit angle of the beam. Best method I have seen to adjust these is to hammer 2 pairs of nails into a piece of wood in such a way that in each pair of nails one leans across the other, forming an X support. Position the second X so that each X supports one end fo the collimating tool. Point it at a wall at least a couple of metres away and slowly rotate the collimator whilemaking sure the wood / nails do not move. If collimated correcty the point where the beam hits a wall will not move (place a tiny dot / bluetack to make sure) but if the beam moves around to from circle whil the tool rotates then it needs collimating itself. Adjust until the beam doesn't travel anymore!

There is also the "Barlowed Laser" method of collimation which I haven't used yet, as far as I know that method replaces the normal usage of the laser collimator and as such still can't help guide your adjustment of the secondary mirrors position relative to the focussor.

When I started out to learn the mystical art of collimation I found a fantastic collimation guide written in easy common lingo by a retired ex-Navy guy in the States, his guide was the best I have ever seen bar none, if I can find the link I'll post it.

I hope this all helps.

Last edited by Gargoyle_Steve; 11-11-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:33 AM
programmer
Computer tragic

Thanks for the great info. I bought a Cheshire eyepice yesterday and started to go through the collimation process only to realise my primary does not have a centre 'spot'. What's the easiest way of doing this on my dob? I've read about folder binder rings, squares of electrical tape, etc etc.. But not looking forward to removing the primary. Actually after a reasonable viewing session last night I don't think my collimation is *that* bad (47 Tuc for the first time.. yay. Resolved very well even in my 9mm). Yes I know collimation should be checked every time I get it out...
Old 11-11-2007, 08:23 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

Programmer, If you remove the "bottom end" of you telescope and do not disturb the primary mirror or the cell (mirror holder), mark the centre and then replace the end as you removed it you should not have any concerns. Mark the outer ring and the tube prior to removal and use those marks on reassembly, the rest is easy.

Regards,

Greg.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

If you can manage to trace / cut a piece of paper so that it is the exact same size as your primary mirror you can then fold it in quarters and with it still folded cut the barest tiny tip off the "point" of paper that corresponds to the centre of the circle.

Gently and carefully (so as to not scratch the mirror) lay that paper circle flat over your primary and place a tiny mark through the centre hole with a permanent pen.

You can then use that dot as a centre spot although if you are going to be using a laser collimator I'd say try to put a binder ring around it so it's nicely centred. The ring won't affect viewing as that part of the primary doesn't actually affect your view as it lays in the shadow of the secondary mirror.

Cheers!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:17 AM
programmer
Computer tragic

Thanks for the tips.. the paper cutout method I hadn't heard before. One day soon when I get the courage I'll get the primary cell out and give it a go
Old 18-12-2007, 03:32 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

As promised, here's the guide I referred to previously re collimating a dob - I still reckon this is the best I've seen in terms of an online guide for newbies, and being that I was a total newbie at the time with a brand new shiny dob this is how I learned to collimate it:

http://www.schlatter.org/Dad/Astronomy/collimate.htm

Sorry for the delay in posting this : it took me a while to realise I didn't have the bookmark anymore, it took a while longer to find the right website again via google, and then I had to find this thread again!
Old 18-12-2007, 07:22 PM
hickny (Peter)

collimating

This looks like a good article http://www.skyandtelescope.com/howto/diy/3306876.html