Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Were the eclipse forecastpages useful?
Poll Options
Were the eclipse forecastpages useful?
You can only choose 3 options to vote on.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:22 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb CFN forecast during January Eclipse

Hi all, great to see that so many of you managed to catch something even in adverse conditions. We're trying to get a feel for what CFN product you've used or didn't use during this eclipse so we can build a better public system for future astronomical events. It would be great if you could post feedback and suggestions in this thread so we can concentrate the work on features you need and not bother about other areas noone will be using. Thanks for your input.
  1. Did you need the long term forecast when the eclipse date was still 10 days away? (Y/N)
  2. Did you download any High Resolution PDF forecast prior and during the event? (Y/N)
  3. Did you care about any other map type besides total cloud coverage? (i.e. jetstream, wind, relative humidity, temperature, etc...) (Y/N)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Wavytone

Cant say I found it useful. I use:

- 2-3 days out, I use the BOM synoptic map to understand the likely direction of the prevailing wind (high - anticlockwise, low - clockwise) plus any fronts and troughs;

- 24 hours downto 12 hours out - the animation on the BOM site of the hourly satellite images, to gauge how fast the systems are moving and cloud; can estimate down to an hour;

- on the day - consult private weather stations installed by the HGfA at paragliding sites around NSW - relevant because paragliding sites are often near good spots to observe such as mountaintops - these are set up to give local wind speed and direction and have a wide angle camera giving an image every few minutes with a good view of the sky; the data from these is publicly accessible;

- for the blue mountains, if it’s still questionable before 5pm, check a webcam at Katoomba to see what the clouds are doing.

If anything the animation of the satellite images on the BOM website is better than static maps, however it’s not adequate on its own - being able to access webcams and actually see the conditions is by far the best.

Last edited by Wavytone; 01-02-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 PM
h0ughy (David)

it was a great tool to narrow your choices
Old 01-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I live south of Hobart in southern Tasmania where the topography presents some unique challenges for weather forecasting. I use the total cloud map the most with some references to the individual cloud maps, and the wind and jet stream maps.

The total cloud map forecasts for here for the eclipse were satisfyingly accurate. The 2 day forecast predicted the clearing of daytime light, low and medium cloud cover by early evening leaving clear skies for the eclipse. This forecast remained relatively constant over the count down to the eclipse. On the day, the low and medium cloud banks were much heavier than suggested by the CFN forecast and did not show any signs of clearing at 9.00pm - panic panic! However over the next hour the clouds slowly dissipated leaving a fully clear sky in the south ready for the eclipse. Just as forecast. The clouds rolled in quickly again just after 1.30am, a bit earlier than forecast.

The CFN forecasts proved to be more accurate than the BOM ones here on the night.

Last edited by Tinderboxsky; 01-02-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-02-2018, 01:19 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Great resource. The highres maps were right on the money for a few lucky ones by the look of it. Of all places bloody Melbourne got the sweet spot. Makes up for the rest of the year I bet Just wondering who had more rain... Sydney or Adelaide
Old 01-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Phil Hart

I did try the PDF docs a little but mainly just stuck to the existing resources.

The new display series are already useful to get a look at the sequences and compare ACCESS-VT/ACCESS-R/GFS.

The general trend for Vic with low cloud south (strong southerly airflow) and high cloud north was well predicted from a few days out. ACCESS clearly beats GFS from 2-3 days out. GFS was clearly not as good for low cloud and its high cloud forecasts were more variable too.

I ended up staying at home as there were no compelling locations to head to with better forecast (I was prepared to drive to SA or NSW originally). Unfortunately the high cloud I thought may stay just far enough north ended up interfering regularly only clearing late in the show but the low cloud stayed away until just after the eclipse ended.

Phil
Old 02-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I found that most reports said that Melbourne may have some patchy cloud where as Heathcote would be crystal clear, albeit with stronger jet steams. Ended up missing most of the eclipse due to clouds and then high level haze :/
Old 02-02-2018, 09:10 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Cant say I found it useful. I use:

- 2-3 days out, I use the BOM synoptic map to understand the likely direction of the prevailing wind (high - anticlockwise, low - clockwise) plus any fronts and troughs;

- 24 hours downto 12 hours out - the animation on the BOM site of the hourly satellite images, to gauge how fast the systems are moving and cloud; can estimate down to an hour;

- on the day - consult private weather stations installed by the HGfA at paragliding sites around NSW - relevant because paragliding sites are often near good spots to observe such as mountaintops - these are set up to give local wind speed and direction and have a wide angle camera giving an image every few minutes with a good view of the sky; the data from these is publicly accessible;

- for the blue mountains, if it’s still questionable before 5pm, check a webcam at Katoomba to see what the clouds are doing.

If anything the animation of the satellite images on the BOM website is better than static maps, however it’s not adequate on its own - being able to access webcams and actually see the conditions is by far the best.
You can animate the forecast maps as well as the satellite images on CFN. There is also a comprehensive network of public external webcams, skycams and weather cams from the BoM integrated in the interface. The Synoptic charts can be animated and go back 14 days.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:12 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I found that most reports said that Melbourne may have some patchy cloud where as Heathcote would be crystal clear, albeit with stronger jet steams. Ended up missing most of the eclipse due to clouds and then high level haze :/
Heathcote was always border line with that high cloud lane in the jetstream. Same thing happened to Albury to some extent. The weather was quite complicated to forecast and not clear cut at all. Locations on the edges of changing conditions will always be 50/50.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:13 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Thanks for the feedback so far. Keeping an eye on this.