Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Nordo

Orion Deluxe 2" Barlow Warning

I rang Bintel in Melbourne yesterday to order an Orion Deluxe 2" 2x barlow and was told they didn't stock them . I rang their Sydney shop and was told they had none in stock, but would order one for me if I liked. They both tried to push their Bintel ED barlow ( which is a re-badged GSO ED barlow). I ordered the Orion ( along with a 13mm Stratus EP) and hopefully they will arrive before Christmas.

Just a heads-up warning for those intending to buy an Orion barlow in the near future .

BTW, I didn't check out Sirius Optics, who advertise the Orion barlow for a slightly higher price ($219).
Old 28-11-2006, 09:41 AM
casstony

I certianly understand going for Japanese gear if you want top quality, but for less demanding applications the GSO 2" barlow is a nice multifunction tool. The lens unscrews from the body so you get a 2X barlow, a 1.5X(?) barlow by screwing the lens directly to the eyepiece and a 2" barrel extender. I haven't tried the 1.5X option yet - is it permitted to attach a GSO barlow to a 2" televue?

I have the 2" ED version but I agree with others that the ED is probably BS designed to earn more $.
Old 28-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Nordo

Thanks Tony .
I've already ordered the Orion. I wanted the Orion as so many people rave about it, and swear that it's a UO clone.
Old 28-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I have the UO 2" and its a keeper

It is miles ahead of the gso and with a good eyepiece in it the difference would be immediately apparent to an observer of any experience level.

Cheap barlows suck !
Old 17-12-2006, 08:22 PM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler View Post
I have the UO 2" and its a keeper

It is miles ahead of the gso and with a good eyepiece in it the difference would be immediately apparent to an observer of any experience level.

Cheap barlows suck !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------I highly doubt that you would see a big difference from the Orion to the 2" GSO barlow. I have a 2" GSO Barlow and have been observing for well over 20 years and it looks fine to me with nice coatings and good transmission.
Old 17-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Nordo

Just an update.

I still haven't received my order from Bintel yet. I'll be giving them a ring tomorrow. They were supposed to have sent it out a week and a half after I ordered it . It's my Christmas present from me to me .
Old 18-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Nordo

Update

Rang Bintel today. They said the order will be arriving today, and they will ship it out to me tomotrrow express post .
Fingers crossed.
Old 19-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor666 View Post
I highly doubt that you would see a big difference from the Orion to the 2" GSO barlow. I have a 2" GSO Barlow and have been observing for well over 20 years and it looks fine to me with nice coatings and good transmission.
I have compared and on bright targets the difference in contrast/light scatter was obvious.
Old 19-12-2006, 09:12 PM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
I have compared and on bright targets the difference in contrast/light scatter was obvious.
What was the obvious difference?...When using my 2" GSO barlow, I don't see *ANY* light scatter. As for contrast, do you see MORE detail on say planets?....If you are speaking in terms of more througput for light, unless you're using a big telescope the difference would be small from a city, unless you are getting critical trying to squeeze every last photon from M-51 looking for even the spiral arms and I can't see the arms from my backyard, even if I were to use a 12" Telescope.
I think you are nit picking here, unless you got a DUD GSO barlow lens.
Old 19-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor666 View Post
What was the obvious difference?...When using my 2" GSO barlow, I don't see *ANY* light scatter. As for contrast, do you see MORE detail on say planets?....I think you are nit picking here, unless you got a DUD GSO barlow lens.
Mark firstly it wasnt my barlow. I did a quick comparison between a Celestron ultima barlow and the 2 inch GSO barlow using a pentax 14mm xl viewing Saturn. The gso barlow showed a LOT more scattered light giving a much brighter halo of light around the planet. The effect is like driving at night with a dirty windscreen as opposed to a clean one. This is the difference between quality anti-reflection coatings and mediocre ones.

Have you compared the gso to a better (more expensive) one using a quality eyepiece?
Old 20-12-2006, 12:45 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
Mark firstly it wasnt my barlow. I did a quick comparison between a Celestron ultima barlow and the 2 inch GSO barlow using a pentax 14mm xl viewing Saturn. The gso barlow showed a LOT more scattered light giving a much brighter halo of light around the planet. The effect is like driving at night with a dirty windscreen as opposed to a clean one. This is the difference between quality anti-reflection coatings and mediocre ones.

Have you compared the gso to a better (more expensive) one using a quality eyepiece?

Starkler, I was using both Pentax XW's when looking at Saturn as well. With a 10mm XW and a 7mm XW and as far as I could see, there was no scatter at all in either EP at 300x, (in a 12" GSO reflector), and at 350x, (in an 8" Antares reflector). I used to have a TeleVue barlow and there was no difference in quality when testing both barlows.
As far as the 2" GSO barlow of mine goes, it isn't "cheap" and it doesn't "suck".

Clear Skies!

-Mark
Old 20-12-2006, 09:59 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Around $50 for a barlow it isn't cheap?! That's Oz dollars too! Sure it's cheap!!

I haven't critically assessed one, but the ones I've seen seem to do the job quite well. There may be a fair bit of variation in quality from one unit to the next. In fact, Mark, your GSO barlow may even be a different make from the one Starkler checked out consideting that 20mm GSO Superviews come in at least 3 versions. and the 30mm comes in at least two versions. GSO 9mm Plossls I've had two of. One was rough as guts the other was as good as much more expensive brand name units.
Old 22-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo View Post
Rang Bintel today. They said the order will be arriving today, and they will ship it out to me tomotrrow express post .
Fingers crossed.
Hi John

Did you get your Orion Deluxe 2" Barlow

Hope you have clear skies for a first light.

We have a new one still sitting in the box waiting for smoke and clouds to clear.

David
Old 05-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Nordo

Hi Dave
I still haven't had first light. Combination of rain, clouds, and inlaws staying with us for the last 43 weeks has left me looking at my boxes of goodies sitting in the corner. Inlaws go home on Sunday .

I should add that while they have been here we've been constantly busy taking them places that we had forgotten about. Even flew to Sydney for the fireworks and the first day of the Sydney test. All in all I've had a great time and have not really regretted them being here. Hopefully I'll get my first light on the new moon.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

John hopefully we'll get clear skies this month for new moon - with luck we can catch up at Ron's place if he is willing and available to have us visit.

I have a GSO 2" 2x barlow (was included as part of my 12" dob package) and I'm curious to see any differences between it and the Orion deluxe.

See you soon John!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

My GS 2" 2X Barlow actually improves the view thru my GS 30mm 2" Superview. It gets rid of the seagulls!

I've never compared it to a better 2" Barlow, but I'm happy with what I have at the moment
I use it, so that's the main thing.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_Steve View Post
I have a GSO 2" 2x barlow (was included as part of my 12" dob package) and I'm curious to see any differences between it and the Orion deluxe.
The biggest difference you will see is on planets and the Moon with good high contrast eyepieces.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:26 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Hi Ken - I've found the same with my GSO 2" barlow and Andrews 2" 30mm UWA ep, the seagulls disappear in that combination too.

Steve thanks for your info - sadly I'm pretty sure the Andrews 2" ep is NOT what you meant by "good high contrast eyepieces"
so I guess I won't expect to see much difference then.

Still, I do know someone who DOES own a higher quality 30mm 2" 80° ep, might be interesting to try his ....

"Hey William ....... "

Regardless of the above I'm still keen to catch up John so you can show off your new barlow, hope to see you soon.

Steve
Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Argonavis (William)
E pur si muove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_Steve View Post
Hi Ken - I've found the same with my GSO 2" barlow and Andrews 2" 30mm UWA ep, the seagulls disappear in that combination too.

Steve thanks for your info - sadly I'm pretty sure the Andrews 2" ep is NOT what you meant by "good high contrast eyepieces"
so I guess I won't expect to see much difference then.

Still, I do know someone who DOES own a higher quality 30mm 2" 80° ep, might be interesting to try his ....

"Hey William ....... "
Steve
sorry, I don't have a 31mm Nagler to compare...I use a 35mm Panoptic instead. That should do.

maybe c u on the 20th?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Hi William - I don't remember what brand the ep was that you let me try a few months ago at Ron's one night but I'm sure it was a 30mm 80° ep that you lent me, I was blown away by the views through it, and I had been considering the similar specced Andrews "cheapo" version for the big wide views of the sky (which I ordered the next workign day I believe).

Yes I am definitely hoping we can all catch up on the 20th for the first new moon of 2007, weather and Ron's grace permitting. I am definitely looking forward to seeing you guys again, due to work commitments, etc, I don't think I haven't made it the last 2 months now, possibly 3.
The last time I was there Jeanette & myself and Dave Waldren(?) and "Odlaw" (Dave again??) were chasing Saturn in the barely pre-dawn light for the first viewing in the new Saturn season. Great evening!!!

John, William, etc - See you soon!