Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Hitchhiker
knows where his towel is

LPI Jupiter - 12th June

Was out imaging Jupiter before the soccer. I'm a bit tired today but here is the first in a series. I processed Ganymede separately for the first time to see if I could coax some detail out. There is some light and shade but whether it is real....

Taken with Meade 10" LX200GPS + 2.5X Powermate + LPI.

Seeing I would rate at 6-7 out of 10. Collimation was not perfect (but I'm getting there!) Taken at 8:21 pm, 0.25 sec exposures, 354 frames processed.

Jupiter and Ganymede were RGB processed separately and combined in Paint Shop Pro. Usual processing done - ppmcentre, Registax, VC deconvolution and RGB combine in AIP4WIN, merge and some minor adjustments in PSP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter & Ganymede 001.jpg)
39.5 KB47 views
Old 13-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Lester

Great detail there Adam,

You're King of the LPI. Also I would say best I have seen here with Meade 10" LX200GPS.
Old 13-06-2006, 10:16 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

That is a great shot with an LPI! Wow!
Old 14-06-2006, 05:53 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Great image, Adam. Nicely done. Is it possible to upload the avi or bmp's for me to have a play with?
Old 14-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

That is a very nice Jupiter image from the LPI Adam, very nice indeed. Terrific detail!

Cheers

Dennis
Old 14-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Hitchhiker
knows where his towel is

Thanks for your comments, everyone! I'm just trying to squeeze as much as I can out of the LPI and the 10" SCT. I wouldn't have got anywhere near as far as I have without the inspiration from all the planetary imagers on IIS.

Quote:
Also I would say best I have seen here with Meade 10" LX200GPS
Thanks Lester, the LX200GPS is a great scope and I have still not reached it's limit (I still have a bit to do). Cooling the scope has been the great breakthrough - when properly coolled I have a chance of critically collimating and getting good results.

Mike, I still have another 5 runs from this night, I will zip them all up and upload. You will probably have processed them all before I've even done the second run!

My processing is very slow as I haven't got enough room on the laptop to ppmcentre and RGB split all runs at the same time - only doing one directory at a time. That's the trouble with IIS - I used to be satisfied with a quick run through Registax! Now I'm splitting, separately processing moons, combining and who knows what else!
Old 14-06-2006, 08:30 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Nice shot Adam, I often wonder if the LPI is underrated, more so when I see work like yours.
Old 14-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Adam, you've certainly pushed the envelope for the LPI - amazing detail. I'd really like to see how you do if you get your hands on a Toucam or similar.

cheers,
Old 14-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Hitchhiker
knows where his towel is

Quote:
I often wonder if the LPI is underrated
I think the LPI is underrated. There is no doubt in my mind that a ToUCam is the better camera because of pixel size (better image scale) and sensitivity - but the difference is not as great as I once believed.

I almost despaired when I was posting Saturn images at 1/4 second exposure time and the ToUCam brigade were posting images with exposures of 1/25 second! How could I compete with a camera that is 6 times more sensitive than mine? Then, Paul (1ponders) posted a link to the K3CCDTools site where an analysis was done on exposure times for the ToUCam - briefly, the exposure time is wrongly reported. Depending on the frame rate, the real exposure time might be more like 1/5 second. That sounds more correct to me - I can believe the ToUCam is 25% more sensitive than an LPI, it may even be 50% more sensitive, but it is not 600% better!

Another area where the LPI really falls down is frame rate. I can't get more than about 2 frames per second so I just don't get the sheer number of frames. The reason for the slow frame rate is that there is no compression to the image in transfer. I can see the logic behind no compression but, in practice, I would gladly suffer the effects of some compression for more frames.

Having said all that, if someone was to ask me, should I buy an LPI or should I buy a ToUCam, I would have to say the ToUCam is the way to go (assuming both are at a similar price). I got my LPI for 'free' with my LX200 so I'm happy!
Old 14-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Hitchhiker
knows where his towel is

Quote:
I'd really like to see how you do if you get your hands on a Toucam or similar.
Thanks for your comments, Robert_T. I think I will eventually get a ToUCam and the things I've learned with the LPI will stand me in good stead.
Old 14-06-2006, 09:37 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

super lpi image

go man go!
Old 14-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Hitchhiker
knows where his towel is

Thanks ving. How are your LPI images of doubles going?
Old 14-06-2006, 01:14 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

i have only taken one so far.. pk47 in lupus. i took a sunspot shot tho and a very small image scale jupiter
Old 14-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Hitchhiker
knows where his towel is

More from June 12

Here are the results of the second and third run from Monday night.

Run 2 was taken at 8:30 pm and run 3 at 8:39. Same processing as the first image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter & Ganymede 002.jpg)
38.3 KB9 views
Click for full-size image (Jupiter & Ganymede 003.jpg)
41.5 KB10 views
Old 15-06-2006, 06:09 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Very nice again Adam.

Have you considered a 4x or 5x barlow/PM for increased image scale?

Looking forward to getting the avi to give me something to do when it's cloudy
Old 15-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Hitchhiker
knows where his towel is

Quote:
Have you considered a 4x or 5x barlow/PM for increased image scale?
Yes, I've considered a 3x Powermate or barlow but I think a more cost effective option is to get a ToUCam! I will get an extra 40% of image scale just by going from 8 micron pixels to 5.6 micron pixels. All at less cost than a decent 3x Barlow or Powermate (or 4x or 5x). If I go for a higher power Powermate with the LPI, the image will be dimmer and I will need longer exposure time - for Jupiter I am taking 0.25 sec exposures now, with a longer focal length I might need half a second exposures which I think will be too long in all but perfect conditions. If I get a ToUCam, not only will I have larger image scale, but I will be able to reduce the exposure time and get more frames!

The only problem is that, after spending up big to get my LX200 last year, and buying some eyepieces, a Powermate, various books, and a 2" diagonal since, the astronomical budget is pretty much depleted - might have a little while to wait for a new purchase!

I hate waiting, but I'll use the time to improve my collimation (still not perfect!) and my processing. I've only been getting decent images for the last couple of weeks since getting on top of capture settings in Envisage and cooling and collimation for my scope. At least now I've got some images that I can try different processing workflows on and maybe approach some of your efforts!

Quote:
Looking forward to getting the avi to give me something to do when it's cloudy
I'll zip up all the files and upload but I'm a bit hamstrung at the moment. The laptop I use is a 'shared' laptop and is pretty full. I am only processing one directory at a time due to space problems - I split into RGB, process, then delete! I'll zip and upload the ppmcentred files (280x280) - hopefully by the weekend.
Old 15-06-2006, 11:18 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Sounds good Adam.

For the ToUcam, you'll need to budget about AU$200 for a new one. When my DMK arrives, and once I've got it all working ok, I may look at selling my ToUcam. The timing might be right for you then? It'll probably still be a month away +/- 50%
Old 15-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Hitchhiker
knows where his towel is

I'm probably thinking more Xmas time, unfortunately. You never know, though, if the tax man is generous or I run into some unexpected cash?