Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Analog6 (Odille)

Can I mount a camera on a mount with no scope?

This is probably a stupid question. Do I have to have a telescope to use a tracking mount, or can I just put the camera on it?

With the weights and so on I suspect they are designed to fit the indiviudaul telescope.
Old 25-02-2009, 07:21 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Odille

You absolutely can! You just need the appropriate adapter to hold the camera on the mount using some sort of dovetail bar.

You'll need to attach a tripod head or similar so a dovetail bar, where the dovetail bar gets held in the mount (where the telescope dovetail bar + rings normally go).
You then just screw the tripod head into your camera like any normal tripod, and then turn the tracking on.

You just need to adjust your counterweights by using more or less of them, to balance the camera on the mount.

Most people with those type of setups usually have a tripod adapter on top of their telescope rings, like in a piggy-back setup.
Old 25-02-2009, 08:39 AM
david d

Hi Odille,
This has nothing to do with your question, (and I hope this doesn't contravene the by laws), but I live 2km away at Banora Point, have just started viewing on the 10th of Jan, (my birthday present) and am wondering where you use for a dark site at our location.
I am currently using Fingal Beach, where I have been watching the moon, mercury, jupiter event.
The sand fleas have been giving me a bit of a hurry up.
David d
Old 25-02-2009, 09:06 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Hi Odille,
I attach my camera to the mount with one of these little adapters from Bintel ($30)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (7734X.jpg)
5.9 KB44 views
Old 25-02-2009, 09:38 AM
space oddity

Should be easier without the scope, less stress on motors, less chance with wide angle lenses showing the front of the scope. Counterweight adjustment should not be difficult. I am presently making a jig for WIDE field to attach to a scope(did not want to risk taking tube off fork mount ) which will be more work than simply attaching to the mount. Screw to attach camera to tripod or jig is a very straightforward 1/4 inch x 20 tpi bolt (go for stainless steel.) Given the limited combinations of camera/ lens assemblies, the weights should be easily customisable.
Old 25-02-2009, 09:41 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
Hi Odille,
I attach my camera to the mount with one of these little adapters from Bintel ($30)...
Yeh one of those!

But you might find it easier if you can attach a ball mount or swivel tripod head if you can, as it'll be easy to adjust your framing/composition without moving where the mount is pointing.
Old 25-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Analog6 (Odille)

Thanks Mike,

now I can look into getting one. I am thinking of buying a 500 mm lens, it is not auto focus or very sphisticated, but good glass and fine for what I wnat (f8 - should be OK for astro).

What sort of price am I looking at in a mount? And Any model advice greatly appreciated. I know nothing, just that I want to take tracked photos. I willbuy a tripod head and fit it on, I think. I have a Manfrotto tripod at the moment with one of those 3 lever heads, I think a ball type would be best here.

I'd love to get a telescope later, but want a good 8" that I can hook the camera into when I do, and it will probably not be affordable until I retire, about 6-7 years at the moment.

So just the ability to take tracked photos (astrophotography is my real area of interest anyway) will do me fine for the moment.

Cheers

David, I have PMed you

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hi Odille

You absolutely can! You just need the appropriate adapter to hold the camera on the mount using some sort of dovetail bar.

You'll need to attach a tripod head or similar so a dovetail bar, where the dovetail bar gets held in the mount (where the telescope dovetail bar + rings normally go).
You then just screw the tripod head into your camera like any normal tripod, and then turn the tracking on.

You just need to adjust your counterweights by using more or less of them, to balance the camera on the mount.

Most people with those type of setups usually have a tripod adapter on top of their telescope rings, like in a piggy-back setup.