Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 14-01-2021, 01:55 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 20,190
Heavy Snowfall Blankets Spain

Stacks of snow in the Pyrenees back home. -4c in my mum's backyard couple of days ago and snow down to 500m. Not surprising when you look at this sat map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG-20210109-WA0000.jpg)
196.3 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (IMG-20210114-WA0001 (1).jpg)
168.5 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (IMG-20210114-WA0000.jpg)
183.9 KB39 views
  #2  
Old 15-01-2021, 09:36 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)
Registered User

Saturnine is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 1,532
Hi Marc

I did see on the news a few nights ago, footage of people skiing down the roads in Madrid due to the amount of snow down to low altitudes. Almost makes me want to break out the skinny sticks and go for a slide or a bit of cross country meandering.
Make an almost pleasant change from the humidity around here currently.
  #3  
Old 15-01-2021, 10:47 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 20,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Hi Marc

I did see on the news a few nights ago, footage of people skiing down the roads in Madrid due to the amount of snow down to low altitudes. Almost makes me want to break out the skinny sticks and go for a slide or a bit of cross country meandering.
Make an almost pleasant change from the humidity around here currently.
Yes that's how kids used to go to school back in the days. Apparently it hasn't snowed that much since the 70s.
  #4  
Old 18-01-2021, 03:05 PM
Astrophe's Avatar
Astrophe (John)
Registered User

Astrophe is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wollongong NSW Australia
Posts: 105
It may be that we are on the verge of a new ice age. Global warming may have slowed its onset, but we can be fairly certain that a new ice age is all but inevitable. Depending upon its severity, it could spell doom for the human race...a Snowball Earth event for instance, would make things very difficult for human survival. Let's hope a bit of global warming will save us from the worst of it.



https://phys.org/news/2015-07-ice-age.html

Last edited by Astrophe; 18-01-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo
  #5  
Old 18-01-2021, 03:51 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 20,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrophe View Post
It may be that we are on the verge of a new ice age. Global warming may have slowed its onset, but we can be fairly certain that a new ice age is all but inevitable. Depending upon its severity, it could spell doom for the human race...a Snowball Earth event for instance, would make things very difficult for human survival. Let's hope a bit of global warming will save us from the worst of it.



https://phys.org/news/2015-07-ice-age.html
If Popova says so... You do realise that 2020 is the hottest year on record after 2016 right? And that's with an active La Nina and neutral IOD which makes for cooler and wetter this year. Imagine one second what would have happened this summer if we had been in an El Nino phase. WA is already burning as is.
  #6  
Old 18-01-2021, 04:22 PM
Sunfish's Avatar
Sunfish (Ray)
Registered User

Sunfish is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 1,364
Good one Marc.

Surely a peer reviewed paper that one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
If Popova says so... You do realise that 2020 is the hottest year on record after 2016 right? And that's with an active La Nina and neutral IOD which makes for cooler and wetter this year. Imagine one second what would have happened this summer if we had been in an El Nino phase. WA is already burning as is.
  #7  
Old 18-01-2021, 04:25 PM
Sunfish's Avatar
Sunfish (Ray)
Registered User

Sunfish is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 1,364
Very pretty scenes. My daughter reports it snowed and settled in Paris over the weekend.


Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Stacks of snow in the Pyrenees back home. -4c in my mum's backyard couple of days ago and snow down to 500m. Not surprising when you look at this sat map.
  #8  
Old 19-01-2021, 03:50 PM
Astrophe's Avatar
Astrophe (John)
Registered User

Astrophe is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wollongong NSW Australia
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Good one Marc.

Surely a peer reviewed paper that one.....

Peer reviews are usually carried out by groups of visionless orthodox naysayers, purporting to be the font of all wisdom and condemning anyone who expresses somewhat heterodox views. Reminiscent of the Inquisition.

Last edited by Astrophe; 19-01-2021 at 04:01 PM.
  #9  
Old 22-01-2021, 03:11 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 20,190
This image is pretty telling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (141127141_10159971241312281_5936518017992214207_n.jpg)
138.2 KB37 views
  #10  
Old 23-01-2021, 09:16 AM
Sunfish's Avatar
Sunfish (Ray)
Registered User

Sunfish is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 1,364
Exactly Marc. We can listen to people who have performed measurements and provide repeatable experimental evidence. Scientific method is everything.
  #11  
Old 23-01-2021, 09:29 AM
Astrophe's Avatar
Astrophe (John)
Registered User

Astrophe is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wollongong NSW Australia
Posts: 105
That's all very well and I'm not a climate change denier, but science also tells us that we are at present in an interglacial period between the last ice age and the next. This is called the Holocene Interglacial and it began about 12K years ago, so we can expect that it will end shortly....'shortly', in geological terms. As I have already mentioned, the current global warming period could have delayed the onset of the next ice age....it is due to begin anytime now.
  #12  
Old 23-01-2021, 12:28 PM
Sunfish's Avatar
Sunfish (Ray)
Registered User

Sunfish is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 1,364
“Australian Nobel laureate scientist Brian Schmidt has told a summit of global leaders that Australia is duty bound to take a lead on climate action and called for an international effort to combat an anti-science agenda and climate change denial.”


https://www.smh.com.au/national/aust...6w5e.html?btis
https://www.smh.com.au/national/aust...6w5e.html?btis
  #13  
Old 23-01-2021, 02:05 PM
N1 (Mirko)
Registered User

N1 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dunners Nu Zulland
Posts: 1,335
Evidence suggests we go through periodic changes in temperature over long periods of time. It takes no genius, then, to figure out that after the ice age is before the ice age. Evidence also suggests that if there was indeed an ice age building at present, it's doing a crap job at saving us from global warming. At which point the question must be allowed whether "ice age" is in fact what this should be called.
  #14  
Old 23-01-2021, 02:19 PM
Astrophe's Avatar
Astrophe (John)
Registered User

Astrophe is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wollongong NSW Australia
Posts: 105
Apparently Australia contributes only about 1.5% of global carbon emissions, so anything we do is largely window-dressing. Even if we (Australians) went back to live in the trees, we would have negligible effect on global warming....hand-wringers, notwithstanding.
  #15  
Old 23-01-2021, 02:27 PM
N1 (Mirko)
Registered User

N1 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dunners Nu Zulland
Posts: 1,335
No, you will have done a great deal more to stop this than the average punter. I don't know why you would want to live in a tree but it's a commendable effort. But a little less, by everyone, will also go a long way, and is more reasonable to boot.
  #16  
Old 23-01-2021, 02:42 PM
Astrophe's Avatar
Astrophe (John)
Registered User

Astrophe is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wollongong NSW Australia
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
No, you will have done a great deal more to stop this than the average punter. I don't know why you would want to live in a tree but it's a commendable effort. But a little less, by everyone, will also go a long way, and is more reasonable to boot.

The reference to living in the trees was a joke, Joyce. The earnestness of many global warming warriors is sometimes frightening.
  #17  
Old 23-01-2021, 03:00 PM
N1 (Mirko)
Registered User

N1 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dunners Nu Zulland
Posts: 1,335
I see. So your argument is so convincing because it's based on a joke. Very clever
  #18  
Old 23-01-2021, 03:09 PM
Astrophe's Avatar
Astrophe (John)
Registered User

Astrophe is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wollongong NSW Australia
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1 View Post
i see. So your argument is so convincing because it's based on a joke. Very clever

........😮
  #19  
Old 23-01-2021, 03:13 PM
N1 (Mirko)
Registered User

N1 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dunners Nu Zulland
Posts: 1,335
No, really it's a great argument. I can stop paying my rates now, because they only contribute 0.00012% of the total cost of running this city. Hardly noticeable, or worth the effort
  #20  
Old 23-01-2021, 06:39 PM
Hodur (David)
Registered User

Hodur is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sydney
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrophe View Post
That's all very well and I'm not a climate change denier, but science also tells us that we are at present in an interglacial period between the last ice age and the next. This is called the Holocene Interglacial and it began about 12K years ago, so we can expect that it will end shortly....'shortly', in geological terms. As I have already mentioned, the current global warming period could have delayed the onset of the next ice age....it is due to begin anytime now.
A LOT of money has been made on the Climate Change Express. My only cynicism re Climate Change are the huge dollars that have been made off the back of Climate Change.
Methinks some healthy scepticism well placed
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 01:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement