Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2008, 05:22 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

attachment for a tripod adapter

Hi all,

Anyone know of a hardware or attachment that I can purchase to stabilise/support more the tubes/barrels of my binoculars when attached to a tripod ?

Unfortunately, my binoculars don't have a central support bar. It has a attachment so I can attach a tripod adapter but, it's not enough to make it stable.

I guess I'm looking for something similar as produced/home made from Scoper's article below. If anyone have any other suggestion please let me know.

Malcolm Shackleton - SCOPER
....problem of the binoculars oscillating if they are just mounted with the bracket alone, the barrels need to be supported as well to avoid this. Once again this is easily remedied by placing a bar under the barrels on a mounting plate......

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...76,308,0,0,1,0

cheers

Last edited by trader10; 03-03-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Have a look at Figure's 6, 10 & 15 in this IIS article.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,383,0,0,1,0

Cheers

Dennis
Old 03-03-2008, 09:07 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

Hi Dennis,

Wow...what can I say...very interesting and clever mount you've constructed....I'm very impressed mate !

At the moment, I'm looking for something more simpler to support the tubes/barrels of my binoculars.

It weights around 2kgs only so, it could be remedied with some simpler support since I've already have a tripod. I'm sure somone out there have created some type of support for binoculars that use only a tripod adapter.
It would be a good market for a brand or shop to sell them in my honest opinion.

Absolutely incredible....20kgs binos....wow impressive hardware you've got there. Is it only a astronomy focused binoculars or it also is good for terrestrial viewing ?

Are you an architect or designer by trade ?

It's great to read and look with detail at "art work" from members/people. Very valuable mind we've got here at Iceinspace.

Cheers Dennis
Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader10 View Post
Hi Dennis,
Is it only a astronomy focused binoculars or it also is good for terrestrial viewing ?

Are you an architect or designer by trade ?
Hi Trader

Closest focus is approx 50 metres, so they’re not too good for bird watching, unless you’re looking at waders on the shoreline that don’t move too quickly.

I’m just a poor handyman with a few tools! LOL. The aluminium alt-az head was made using a hacksaw, handyman’s hand drill and a lot of sweat. I got some aluminium off cuts from Capral in the days when they sold them cheaply. It was designed to fit on a photographic tripod as our 12x50 bino’s don’t have a mounting screw.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 PM
trader10
WORK IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT

heheheeh Dennis,

very ingenious mate....good on you.

I bet you have hours of fun looking at the sky on that confortable set up

cheers