Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 10-02-2019, 05:32 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

SharpCap Sensor Analysis and Smart Histogram - I'm impressed

I recently ran SharpCap's daytime sensor analysis on my ZWO ASI185mc attached to my F7 120mm refractor. SharpCap saves the results for later use in it's Smart Histogram feature.
Then the other night I tried out the Smart Histogram which will do a 30 second sky analysis and collate that with the stored sensor analysis data to recommend optimum gain and exposure time.
I was astounded at the result. Best ever EAA live imaging result ever from what I've always considered to be a noisy amp glow ridden camera, and the biggest surprise was the recommended camera settings which were way different to what I had assumed might be good;
Gain: 144 (I'd been trying 200 ~ 350)
Exposure: 8 sec (I'd been trying 10 ~ 45 seconds)

Has anyone else used the Smart Histogram?

The attached picture is scaled WYSIWYG image from the Live Stacking screen. 8 second exposures, with a flat and SharpCap generated darks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Stack_39frames_312s_WithDisplayStretch (Medium).jpg)
87.9 KB140 views
Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 AM
tvandoore (Tim)

I have with the asi1600 mc. It's great to have a tool that takes some guesswork out of the equation. I've found the recommended settings to be different when changing scopes, which, aside from being a bit interesting (as it's "sensor analysis"), gives more confidence that it's output has utility to each different setup. It often recommends quite short subs, which is fine for livestacking, less so for typical deep sky imaging.

I've been getting my head around SGP lately, but keep finding myself back in sharpcap for useful features like this one.