Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Eric Lloyd (Eric)

what to start with

I am looking to buy a telescope with inbuilt GPS have found one that will tell what star or i think planet we are looking at.This is an intro for a new interest for my 2 young kids and myself so dose anybody have any suggestions on any telescope that is easy to use great stand and can take photos and maybe give info on what were looking at because the one the sales girl showed me was a small fortune $1500.Or is that about the price that you pay for those features thanks.
Old 13-10-2008, 05:05 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Eric

to IceInSpace!

Unfortunately if you want one with all of those features, even $1500 isn't going to cut it.

Let's start with the observing:
If you want one that can tell you what you're looking at, or help you to find objects to observe, you can get a motorised mount with meade autostar etc, or you could get a dobsonian (manual, push-to mount) with an Argo Navis Digital Telescope Computer.

The dobsonian will be cheaper (much cheaper) and is easy to use. The argo navis (once aligned) will point you in the direction of how far to move your telescope to view a particular galaxy, planet etc. The telescope would start from $400-$500 and the Argo Navis is $600-$1000.

The motorised mount telescope, $1500 won't get you much. It's probably a small ETX or similar. You're really looking at $2500-$4000 for an 8-10" SCT.

For photography:
Everything goes up in price if you want to do it well. So you really need to decide if you're keen on photography.

Keep asking questions!
Old 13-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Barrykgerdes

If you need something that will point to a star and tell you what it is. The Meade MySky and the Celestron similar device do just this. This information with any of the cheaper goto telescopes WHEN ALIGNED will allow pointing the scope at the object. $1500 should just about give you the minimum system but I would suggest joining an astro club and getting help from the members before you buy something that you don't understand. AND buy from a reputable astronomy shop. Department store telescopes generally are usually a waste of money. There is no cheap way to the stars.

I have a MySky and my grandson aged 7 uses it like a pro (much better than me). He thinks it is great. He can point it to an object and tell what it is without any bother. However many people buying these have been very disapointed because they cannot get them to perform like the brochures say. The GPS receiver seems to be the biggest problem but once you get a fix it will last till you take the batteries out. In any case the required information can be entered manually. The rest is just practice to make perfect!

Barry
Old 13-10-2008, 08:41 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Welcome Eric.

Don't despair...this hobby can cost a bit but you can also do it reasonably cheaply.

I think a "Dob" has been suggested. These are excellent scopes for beginner and advanced users and reasonably priced. You can purchase a star chart and after awhile you will get used to finding your way around the "night sky".

If you really want something like a "goto" scope (that after alignment" can goto targets) then obviously they cost more. Do shop around though. I have seen things like the HEQ5 "goto" mount (a medium carrying capacity but good mount) vary from $1300 to $1800. The mount is the most important part to get right..so try not to skimp here!

Or maybe a mount like the skywatcher EQ5 or meade LDX75 goto mounts. Then put on something like the Skywatcher ED80 optical tube. The ED80 refractor is a good 1st optical tube as well.

Or maybe a 2nd hand unit for Ice In Space for-sale section would suit your budget?

Anyway have a look at these places for scopes but to research 1st before buying:
2nd hand:
http://www.astrobuysell.com/au/propview.php
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...10-surplus.htm

new:
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm
https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm

There are many other supplies ...probably to numerous to list.

Edit;

I meant to say it might be best to edit your name as it's a dead give-away to who you are what ISP you use. That information should not be publicly broadcast.
Old 14-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Eric Lloyd (Eric)

thanks for the advice and will research the info thanks again guys and girls.
Old 14-10-2008, 03:53 AM
Ian Robinson

How old are the kids ? this will be important .

Are you buying it for them , or is it really for you and the kids are the excuse ? This will also be an important factor.

Pointless spending several hundred dollars on a telescope for a kid who will use it once or twice (say oo!!! and ah!!! , and then loose interest) and then it will become a piece bedroom furniture and collect dust.
If the kids are young - under 12 years old start off with a basic pair of binos or an 80mm refractor or maybe a 4.5-6" newtonian. GoTo is not necessary , nor is GPS. But a basic star atlus will be handy for them to learn their way about the sky.

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 14-10-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 14-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Im with Ian on this one. And the biggest interest killer for kids is a really ordinary views in urban skies (with small apature and fancy electronics).

Forget GPS, Goto and photos. If $1500 is a lot, then these are a waste.

A Dob/newt with a decent apature for the price, or binos will be more fun, and finding stuff manualy.
Old 17-10-2008, 07:27 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Welcome to the hobby Eric,

I would like to agree with everything saide previously, but to also expand on the topic. I firmly believe that jumping into amateur astronomy by purchasing a big telescope with all the 'bells and whistles' will be detrimental to your learning of the night sky, and a turn-off for your children. From my experience and the experience of others I have known I have put together a 3-stage 'plan' which I believe if almost fool-proof. By all means you do not have to follow the stages, but each stage builds on the experience and knowledge of the previous one. I do not know what level of knowledge you or your children are at, at present, so I will assume you are just starting out, so please do not be offended if I suggest things which are too basic.

Stage 1:

Equipment: Buy a Planisphere, perhaps a basic book and your own eyes. Seriously Eric, this is the best way to learn about the night sky. A good planisphere wil cost you about $20 - any planisphere will do but I like the plastic 'Phillips' brand such as this one here. A planisphere will serve two very important purposes.

When you are starting out in amateur astronomy, the first hurdle to overcome is understanding what I call the 'mechanics' of the sky - how and why the stars rotate, where is up-down-left-right north-south-east-west etc., A planisphere is a little square, flat device which you rotate according to the day of the year. As you use the plansiphere, you will see how the stars move across the night sky, and why different stars and constellations are visible at different times of the year. You will also very quickly come to understand how to translate a star chart on paper into a view of the night sky.

Take the kids out and form fun exercies around an evening. Look for the constellations and other patterns in the sky. See if you (and your children) can notice the movement of the stars over the course of a few hours of the evening. Notice how some stars set in the west while others peek above the horizon in the east. Believe me Eric, this is a crucial step for anyone starting out. It may sound boring now, but this is a fundamental step and you will learn . You can spent severl weeks or several months doing this.

I mentioned at the start of this section a 'basic book'. I recommend a good Aussie book called 'Atlas of the Southern Night Sky' by Steve Massey and Steve Quirk. Although most of the book will be used later on in the following stages, there are some excellent chapters for beginners inclusing the Moon and the planets, and some very-well explained sections on what I called the 'mechanics' of the night sky. I do not own this book personally, but as an intermediate-level amateur astronomer who uses far more detailed star atlases than this one, I intend to buy it still. And if you get a book such as this, it will be an investment.

Stage 2:
Equipemnet: Binoculars and a tripod.
Again, another investment which you will uses for many years. Please, please refrain from buying 'department store' binoculars. Go to a telescope shop - others here will recommend some for you. A good pair of binos on a sturdy tripod will enable you and your children to see some great Moon images, Jupiters 4 inner Moons, and many bright Deep Sky Objects (DSO's).
Remember as Summer approaches some of the old favorites will appear, M42 (Orion Nebula). When you buy binos, they will further enhance your knowledge, you will learn what their 'actual field of view' - i.e. how much sky you are actually seeing in the view. Again, this you can translate into what you read on star charts, and this knowledge goes towards a fundamental skill which I think everyone should be able to grasp: "star hopping".

By now, you will be able to locate the constellation in the sky, and have a basic knowledge of when and where to find them, and even know where some of the brighter 'interesting' objects are - and find them in your binoculars. You can spend weeks, months or years doing this - the decision and the pace is purely up to you.

Stage 3:

The telescope. This is where you will get a dozen different opinions but I would lean towards a Dobsonian Telescope, as has been advised. Perhaps a 8, 10 or 12-inch? You can jump into a all-singing, all-dancing telescope with GPS, tracking etc, but with a Dobsonian telescope you get more 'bang for your buck' and with the fundamental knowledge you have achieved in the previous stages, you will be able to move the telescope around without the aid of (expensive) electronics.

Eric, I hope this makes sense and I do not mean for it to sound so clinical and rigid. I personally believe that these steps will build a good foundation of knowledge for you and while many others will expand further and offer more advice, you will not find many amateur astonomers who will disagree with the fundamental process I have outlined.

Regarding photos, this is an expensive arm of the hobby, try not to go down this path just yet. Just sit back and learn about the heavens first. And always keep in mind that those images you see in many books are NOT what you will see in the scope.

Please do not stop asking questions in forums such as this one. Myself and others will be happy to elaborate on our advice.

clear skies.

Last edited by stephenb; 17-10-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 18-10-2008, 11:18 AM
gman (Grant)
Where is the dark?

Eric,
Redesford is right on the money for mine.
I started basically the same way.
Binoculars, planesphere and a laser pointer.

It is much more interactive with the kids.
I now have a dob and their interest lasts about 10 minutes due to manual tracking

My plan is to move upto a GEM mount with tracking in the near future and their interst may return.
The main thing is I still have my interest and have only spent approx $700.

The next part is going to cost though