Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-08-2008, 10:58 AM
StevenA (Steven)

Format Conversion

Could some one tell me how to change the recorded format of a webcam from 'US' to 'AVI'. I can convert stills from 'JPG' to 'TIF' or other but can not work out how to change video footage from my Logitech webcam to another format. How does this alteration work. Registax does not except 'US' format. I have some great film footage of Jupiter caught on the 20th of this month which I can not process.
Old 25-08-2008, 11:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Steven

If you can open the US format in VirtualDub, then you'll be able to re-save it as AVI.

Otherwise try a program like "Bink & Smacker" from RADTools.
Old 25-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

I have never heard of a .US file extension, and I can't even find any reference to it through the web.

You could try simply renaming the file. Goto 'My Computer' and navigate through to the directory of where the file is. Then click 'Tools > Folder Options > View' and remove the tick next to 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Click apply then OK. Now left click on the video file that you want to rename, and press F2. Edit the file name so that it ends with a .AVI and then save it (for example video.AVI).

If this 'breaks' the file and it won't load anywhere, simply rename it back to what it originally was (presumably video.US).
Old 25-08-2008, 09:16 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

i would go with Iceman on that one, run it though a format changing program, because normally if you change the extension it wont run it because its saved differently, and the codec wont read it
Old 26-08-2008, 05:10 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

How exactly are you saving the movie? Like Kal, i've never heard of a .US extension.
Old 26-08-2008, 09:36 AM
StevenA (Steven)

Thanks

Thank you for all your help. In order to answer your questions; I have left the Save facility as default with the only alteration being the file location. That is on a flash drive to save room on the hard drive for more programs. However to answer another question; I believe I am correct in the format save but I will check the suffix when I get home.
I will try the VirtualDub suggestion too. Once again thankyou all for your feed back. Appreciated.
Old 30-08-2008, 06:28 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

If VirtualDub doesn't do the trick, download VirtualDubMod, it accepts more formats.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 AM
StevenA (Steven)

Steven

Well I feel a little silly OK let me explain.... I drag and drop image into Registax and I got a warning box pop-up. "USed File-format not available for drag and drop". (It's available for the select button either. So that is where I got the idea it was a 'US' format. "wmv" format is not an available select button option either. SO SORRY
Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
StevenA (Steven)

Thankyou jjjnettie (jeanette) I have down loaded Virtuldub but it didn't convert , so now I have just downloaded virtuldubmod and will try it this evening after I pick the kids up from school. Thank you one and all for the guidance.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Jazza (Jay)

If that doesn't work there's a programmed called STOIK VideoConverter (or very similiar) that I know convert wmv to avi
Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Virtualdub will convert WMV's but from memory(dodgy) you have to rename the file to an ASF extension.
eg, from capture.wmv to capture.asf
Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Try AviSynth.
See this post I did a while back.

It doesn't actually "convert" the video per-se, but translates it on the fly using the codecs you have on your system. It's slower than reading the native file, but it will work.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=24386

For what it's worth though, a WMV file is HIGHLY compressed, so the results you're going to get in registax are going to be pretty poor if I were to guess.

Turbo
Old 15-09-2008, 09:32 AM
StevenA (Steven)

Thankyou one and all. Will try the new suggestions as soon as I download programs and get the time. One of the kids is giving me a hard time lately. She thinks I spend too much time at the scope or reading. She is an articulate one.
Old 13-10-2008, 09:46 AM
StevenA (Steven)

Thumbs up This end this Plea for Help

I have found an Idiot Proof Software program to divide and convert my Webcam film(?). It's called ImageGrab and I found it in Digital-Digest. It doesnt really convert the film but seperates the images to Stills. You can chose how many images per second or frames etc. It converted the stills to BMP's so I can now play with them. So now I can start tyying to perfect my processing techniques. Cross your fingers. This is where it starts to get difficult, isn't it? (Rhetorical). Thanks for all the help and advise. Stevn