Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Ghostie (Daniel)

Hi

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum based in Brisbane on the South side and have always had an interest in the sky, planets and stars. I have decided to purchase my first telescope and have been doing a bit of reading, watching youtube videos and checking out as many reviews as I can. I think I have come to the decision that a goto might be the best thing for me and I have been looking at the Celestron 127SLT. I also understand that a lot of people have said the Dob 8-10” are fantastic for a first scope and I think they would be too but I’d like it to be more portable where possible, like if I had to hike up a mountain or through sand it wont be an issue? In terms of what I will be looking at, I can easily say everything as all of it is fascinating to me but I think at the start it will be a lot of planets and stars then venturing into DSO etc. My budget at this stage is around $700 and I would like to connect my DSLR to the chosen scope to capture some pictures down the track. If it makes a difference I have a full frame Nikon D610. I initially thought about the 127SLT from all reports it’s easy to setup and very portable which is probably 2 key factors for me.

I wouldn’t mind hearing from anyone that has been down this road or found themselves with the same dilemma I saw a few earlier new posts that had similar questions but not 100% related to mine so I just figured I ask the question. Once again any help, opinion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

From what I can see there aren’t any shops I can go in and check out the scopes here in Brisbane which sucks or I haven’t found any yet. Would be nice too see something, I looked online and I saw there was a Brisbane Astronomical group but they don’t have a gathering till the 5th of September from what I can tell and I wanted to try and get something before then. Reason for this is the following week I am heading out past Toowoomba and it would be a perfect opportunity to get out there and start using it

Anyway thanks for your time guys.

Daniel
Old 28-08-2015, 04:21 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Hi Daniel,

Others will provide more experienced advice most likely, but here's some to get you started!

You should have a National Geographic store near you and they sell 127SLT and 130SLT scopes: if they have one in store you'll be able to get a feel for it and check the weight etc.

You mentioned Dobs: yes, much too big to carry for long journeys but an 8" will fit easily into a normal sized car with no trouble! Advantages with Dobs is what kind of views you'll get for you money: quite superior to an SLT, and ease of set up - just wheel it out (or carry it!) and away you go; BUT photography is not easy with a Dob, unless you buy a fairly pricey mount for it.

Other photography buffs will be able to advise you regarding the SLT's ability there and what you can get for your 700 or so bucks - incidentally, that's about what a 10" Dob would cost you...
Old 28-08-2015, 07:43 PM
raymo

The fact that you want to take photos with your scope changes everything
regarding choice of scope. The 127 and 130 SLT are on altazimuth mounts which limits you to short exposures [due to a phenomenon called field rotation]. The 127, being photographically very "slow," would be more affected by this than the 130. The 130 has a long tube, which makes it prone to vibration, being mounted on a single arm.
For visual only, they are both o.k. with the 127 being more stable, due
to it's shorter tube. Both are easy to align before use.
For longer exposures you need an equatorial mount, which has to be
aligned fairly accurately on the South Celestial Pole.
raymo
Old 28-08-2015, 08:17 PM
CJ (Chris)

Hi Daniel
Google Astro Pete's.
Cheers
Old 28-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Ghostie (Daniel)

Thanks for the replies guys given a little more to think about which is good and bad but appreciate the feedback it helps.
Old 28-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Ghostie (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Hi Daniel
Google Astro Pete's.
Cheers
looks like I will be heading there tomorrow thanks
Old 29-08-2015, 12:19 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

the list of requirements you have, portability, good views of planets and DSOs and DSLR photography is really tough at any price point let alone 700. maybe ... a 80 - 100 mm refractor would be best ... not sure about the mount. as Ray said, if you want to do astrophotgraphy, you will need a EQ mount, so maybe an eq3 with motors. hmmm not sure about this one
Old 29-08-2015, 08:47 AM
Ghostie (Daniel)

yeah I figured it would be tough for that budget but it's all I have to work with right now
Old 31-08-2015, 05:11 PM
Ghostie (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Hi Daniel
Google Astro Pete's.
Cheers
thanks CJ I went and saw Astro Pete and picked up an 8" Dob. After weighing all my options I think I will go for viewing first and then work my way up to astrophotograhy later. might go for an ED80 next time round.

So on my first outing in a light polluted Brisbane I managed to see Saturn and its ring but as a total newb it looked like a bright object but definitely could make the ring. My question was thinking back on it now, was I letting too much light in which brightened the planet even more? Not to mention probably wasn't the best time to view said planet as the moon was full last night. I was just so excited I found saturn I didn't care about the brightness lol.

Ithen went onto the moon and it was so bright I think I definitely need a filter because I couldn't look at it for more than 10 secs. I was just over the moon so to speak lol just to see these 2 objects.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Old 31-08-2015, 06:59 PM
raymo

With the moon, look into the eyepiece from about 6 or 7 inches [150-175mm] for about 5 seconds, and slowly move closer over a period of
about 10 secs. Your pupil will have closed down enough by then to make viewing comfortable.
Saturn itself is visually quite bland, a sort of pale cream. In a low
power eyepiece it will appear very small, but bright. As you increase
the magnification by using higher power eyepieces, it will appear
larger, but dimmer. The same thing applies to the moon.
raymo
Old 31-08-2015, 07:12 PM
Ghostie (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
With the moon, look into the eyepiece from about 6 or 7 inches [150-175mm] for about 5 seconds, and slowly move closer over a period of
about 10 secs. Your pupil will have closed down enough by then to make viewing comfortable.
raymo
Thanks for the tip raymo really appreciate it hope to see more tonight
Old 31-08-2015, 07:50 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Don't be afraid to put a webcam, iPhone or other camera up to the eyepiece/holder on the moon or bright planets too Daniel. You might be pleasantly surprised what is possible. Congrats on your new baby!

Although taken with a much bigger dob, you might want to check out this sort of planetary work Tom has shot with a goto alt/az newt/dob....
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=116635
Old 31-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Ghostie (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Don't be afraid to put a webcam, iPhone or other camera up to the eyepiece/holder on the moon or bright planets too Daniel. You might be pleasantly surprised what is possible. Congrats on your new baby!

Although taken with a much bigger dob, you might want to check out this sort of planetary work Tom has shot with a goto alt/az newt/dob....
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=116635
Thanks Rob! I will try that next time and see what happens

That picture too that Tom took damn now thats great!
Old 31-08-2015, 11:35 PM
Ghostie (Daniel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
raymo
This helped a bit Raymo thank you! I think it didn't help that it was a super moon I only found that out today after last night lol. I think I will still look at a moon filter and maybe a few others, not sure which one yet but might give it a week before I get the others.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:02 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

I think you've made a wise choice with the Dob...if you give it time and patience, you will find your way around the sky quite well; some nights are so so, but some are breathtaking! Down the track have a go at finding Uranus and Neptune - a real buzz to see these distant worlds from your back-yard! All the best!