Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2024, 09:37 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

M83

Evening all,

Continuing on with my saga (tragic tale, perhaps?) of the Megalens, I seem to have the focus sorted out after some reviewing of Ekos' settings. I'm still not super-happy with it, but this image is a lot better than my 'first light' image.

This time, I remembered to turn the guiding on.

Looking at the finished image, the focus looks a bit soft, which is probably an issue with the lens - optics have come a very long way since this thing was made.

The stacked image wasn't too bad, although I'd really love to get out to a dark sky and see how this lens performs, as the signal was pretty well swamped under all the light pollution. I suspect that more imaging time under darker skies would really bring out the colour in the galaxy - this one is rather beige...

I followed my usual stacking and processing workflow in Siril. I did try the 'Star Resynthesis' option in the 'Star Processing' menu after I had separated the stars from the galaxy/background. This option is brilliant - the odd-shaped stars are changed to completely round. I have no idea how this works, but I'll definitely remember to use it when I have odd-shaped stars again. The only issue is that further processing of the star layer requires a gentle hand, as several of the larger stars had a visible 'box' around them if I stretched the layer too much, or pushed too hard with the brightness / contrast in Affinity.

Image details:

* Gain: 100
* Offset: 10
* Temperature: 0 degrees C
* Exposure: 30 seconds
* Frames: 240 Lights, 50 Darks (2 hours integration in total)
* Filter: UV/IR Cut
* Stacked and pre-proc'd in SiriL, finished in Affinity Photo

Equipment:
Megalens @ 1000mm / HEQ5-Pro / ASI183MC-Pro / SV165+SV305 / Kstars/Ekos

As always, criticism / comments / feedback very much appreciated.

Cheers,
V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M83-AF-Recomposition-ResynthedStars.jpg)
116.1 KB48 views

Last edited by AstroViking; 08-05-2024 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling error
Old 08-05-2024, 12:58 AM
Vapour38 (Lachlan)

Great work Steve, big fan of the natural colours coming out of the core. You’d be right in saying darker skies will bring out more colour and dust lanes, but I think you’d be surprised with the colours can you get now by playing around with curves - most galaxies are naturally beige.

You mentioned the stars were a bit bloated, but i think the colours have come out great, and playing around with their saturation might bring out more yellows and reds - if that’s your taste of course. Looking forward to seeing more!
Old 08-05-2024, 06:53 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Steve for posting your image and interesting cometary.

It is always a great pleasure to wake up and look to find something interesting here.

I think you have produced a great image and my only advice is to enjoy your achiements with not too much emphasis on what you wish to improve.

alex
Old 08-05-2024, 08:05 AM
Bodon (Steve)

Steve
Nice detailed photo mate
Old 08-05-2024, 05:09 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Thanks everyone!