Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-06-2006, 08:55 PM
quokka

Question Buying my first dob

After many years of " on again, off again " binocular observing I'm ready to buy my first telescope. ( Not counting a 60mm refractor when I was 11 ).
I'm focusing on 6" & 8" Dobs and I've looked at the Bintel/Andrews websites as well as in a local outlet. I would usually try and buy locally, but there seems to be quite a large price difference that makes the mail-order option very attractive. I guess my question is - am I missing something? The local dobs seem the same as the others but come with less accessories for more money. I like the idea of having local backup but I don't want to pay more than I have to. Thanks.
Old 16-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Perhaps you could ring or drop in to see the local dealer and see what he can do to compete.
Quite often the website price isnt the real price
Old 16-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

I can't answer your main question, Quokka, but I would like to point out that everyone here will tell you to go for the biggest aperture you can. The one thing they won't tell you is that there is a marked increase in weight as you increase the aperture, and that this can have a direct bearing on the convenience of moving the scope around and, ultimately, on how often you choose to use it. What I want to say is that this does not apply very much to the 6 vs 8 inch dobs . The image brightness is markedly greater in an 8 inch over a 6 inch dob, but the weight and size differences are not nearly as marked as, say, between an 8 inch and a 10 inch dob.

Basically, what I'm saying is that, although I don't believe bigger is always better, I do believe you don't save much in weight, size, or convenience by choosing a 6 inch rather than an 8 inch. That is, unless you have some physical limitation yourself.

Have you joined a club yet? That's the best way to tell. Good luck.

Cheers,

Brian.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:00 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Most adelaide boys that i know are big scopes on mounts.

As Geoff says, print out Andrews and Bintels prices and maybe even buy the latest Australian Sky & Telescope with the ads.

Shop locally to give them a chance.

Warranty does exist, so do not be super worried about buying from these guys. At the end of the day I bought mine (10" dob) from Andrews and they shipped it to Tasmania for under $100.

Do you have a budget, and as Brian correctly says, any physical issues that would make size an issue, ie stairs, bad back etc
Old 16-06-2006, 10:30 PM
quokka

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't personally have any physical limitation, but I didn't want to get anything too big to handle easily. ie. in and out of car, house( steep, hilly block), etc. and obviously I would like to contain the cost as much as possible. $4-650 seems reasonable, $700-1000 is a step too far for me. I stopped in at the local dealer BEFORE I saw the Andrews/BINTEL prices. I'll do what you suggest and take the Sky & Telescope ad in and see if they can come down a few dollars. Thanks again.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:32 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

The 8" Saxon Dob has been advertised by the importer with a RRP of $450, so you should be able to find it for that much at the most. Give Saxon a call or drop them an email to ask where there are dealers in Adelaide. (Splendour Trading is the name of the company behind the Saxon brand.)

IMO the Saxon Dobs are a little bit better functionally and ito finish. The alt bearing friction adjustment mechanism is certainly a lot better than the springs on the GS Dobs.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:33 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Ah and to IIS, quokka!
Old 17-06-2006, 11:23 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

being a 8" owner and not having looked in a 6"er i cant really compare, but from my light polluted backyard i can see an amazing amount of objects i my scope. the 8" does really well on planets too. I am not a particularly strong person but i can life base and tube together and move it out into the backyard easy.
hope that helps.

and welcome aboard
Old 17-06-2006, 12:25 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

G,day quokka and welcome

I live in Perth and I order most of my stuff from the eastern states. There is one specialty Astronomy/Telescope shop here and they are pricey and only have a limited inventory. With a 150mm-200mm Dob you can't go too wrong
Old 17-06-2006, 09:28 PM
quokka

Thanks for the warm welcome and good advice guys. I hope to be able to report back on a purchase very soon. Quokka.
Old 18-06-2006, 10:22 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Hello and welcome quokka,
We are pretty limited dealer-wise here in Adelaide aren't we?
There's Adelaide Optical in the city or Shell-lap supplies at the top of Henley Bch Rd. I've always bought from Bintel, AOE or Andrews as they have the cheapest deals + postage compared to the local dealers.
A 12" basic GSO generic dob was around $1500 at one shop as opposed to $799 + freight around the mail order outlets!!
I mentioned this to the local dealer, but all I got was a "ce'st la vie dude!!!" - they can't compete with the high volume turnover of the big guys.
I've found all the interstate dealers to be quick and easy to deal with.
Add between $50-100 depending on size/dealer for shipment of a large Dob.
Cheers and Good luck.
Doug
Old 19-06-2006, 03:55 PM
quokka

Well, I've taken the plunge on a 6" from Andrews. I'll let everyone know how I go assembling, collimating ( OH GOD!!!! ) and viewing. Cheers all for your help and advice, Quokka.
Old 19-06-2006, 03:59 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

congrats quokka!
you'll see plenty of stuf with that
Old 19-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Onya quokka

If anyone gives you stick about your scope being only 6 inches, just remind them how much some people pay for their 4 and 5 inch refractors ($1000's) , and you'll be seeing just as much.
Old 19-06-2006, 05:41 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

That is one very nice scope! After you've assembled and collimated it, first thing you should do is point it at Saturn before it disappears completely for the rest of the year!

Re collimation, check out this video tutorial: http://www.andysshotglass.com/Collimating.html

You probably only need to tweak the primary mirror screws a little.
Old 20-06-2006, 11:05 AM
astro_nutt

Welcome quokka!!..and congrats on your purchase!!!..yes!..please try to catch Saturn before it's gone..then turn towards Jupiter which is nice and high..awesome to say the least!!
Don't worry too much about collination..etc..after all the work is done and it's time for "first light"...enjoy!!
Old 20-06-2006, 09:09 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Congrats on your purchase quokka. 150mm Dob will show heaps and just in time for our galactic centre to take centre stage
Old 20-06-2006, 11:39 PM
jackenau

Another congrats on your scope. A good scope to wet the appetite. I purchased a 12" dob many moons ago after the same deliberation. Limited budget, wanting to see as much as I could without going to all the who har of going to the many clubs etc.

I did however purchase a 6" reflector prior to this through ebay, which was dirt cheap at the time (less then the price of the scope you have purchased) and found it to be quite reasonable. (a bit lacking in what I expected), but never the less still afforded great views of planets, and deep sky.

Son in law to be (if that ever happens) is quite stoked with the views as I have permenantly loaned him the scope.

Ken M
Old 21-06-2006, 12:13 AM
quokka

Thanks for all the positive posts guys. My only worry now is that the beautiful clear nights we have had here in Adelaide recently will disappear as soon as the boxes arrive on my doorstep. Tonight is looking partly cloudy and a bit hazy - I hope I don't cop the " new scope, cloudy night " curse I have read so much about. I may well be forced inside to watch the world cup - yet another late night addiction. I'll do my best to catch saturn before it's too late, and I am really keen to get a look a jupiter. I hope to be able to introduce the night sky to my nephews too once I become confident with the dob. Cheers, Quokka.
Old 26-06-2006, 02:56 PM
quokka

Well, the boxes have arrived and I've unpacked and assembled. The instructions are useless, but it wasn't too hard to figure out which bit went where. I was pleased to see that the primary has a centre spot and to my untrained eye the optics seem to have survived the journey without needing immediate collimation. All I need now is darkness and for the clouds to stay away. Quokka.