Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 02:23 PM
mario chiera

How To Attach an Olympus 500UZ Camera

Hi All,
Who was the person I read on the forum that is using a SONY CYBERSHOT digital camera.From memory it has 6mp.I can not find your entry to read again or can someone help as to how to attach this type of camera to a telescope.
I have a OLYMPUS 500UZ 6mp.How do i fit to my SKYWATCHER PRO 6" MAK .
Also i wanted to know how do you get around the problem of keeping the shutter open without using your finger on it.I would love to know what the person with the SONY camera does.
All help appreciated.

Mario
Old 12-11-2006, 08:44 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

You will have to shoot afocal (through your camera lens looking into an eyepiece). There are a number of brackets and clamps available to do the job. Hopefully someone will pop in with a couple of ideas.
Old 13-11-2006, 06:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Mario
I used to do afocal imaging with my Sony DSCP100. I didn't have an adapter at the time, so I sat it on a tripod pointing into the EP of my 10" dob.

I would definitely recommend getting an adapter though, there are several available. Steve at MyAstroShop sells some that look like they would do the job for you. If you're on a budget, the Vixen one (on the second page) looks good.

What sort of objects are you planning to image? Is your scope motor driven?

I'm just wondering why you'd want to have the shutter open.. for solar system objects it will be a short shutter, and i'd recommend using the self-timer to avoid camera shake.

Can your camera do manual mode? ie: set shutter speed?

Have a read of this article I wrote, which has a lot of hints and techniques for you.. it was designed for dobsonian photography but some of the hints will work just as well on any telescope.

Astrophotography with a dob
Old 13-11-2006, 08:13 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

G'Day Mario,

I have an Olympus C5060WZ which I have and sometimes do still use afocally.

For planetary work, the shutter speeds will be short as has already been mentioned and I suggest that this is probably what your camera is best suited to. My C5060WZ has a maximum shutter time of 15 seconds, anything longer than that requires holding your finger on the button which, quite frankly, is a waste of time. The other problem you will probably find with long exposures is noise. While you can deal with it after the exposure, obviously the less you have during capture the better. Most Olys just won't complete with a Canon dSLR unfortunately for noise levels. If you accept that your camera is best for planetary work, you can get some great photos using afocal projection.

I have used two mounting methods for afocal projection: handheld and mounted via a digi-T ring. For handheld, obviously, just hold the camera up to the EP and shoot. It can be hit and miss, but you should be able to manage an acceptable hit rate for bright subjects like the moon.

The digi-T ring is a great little idea. It attaches the front of your camera lens to the eyepiece. You will need both a digi-T ring and a T thread adapter to suit your camera. The T thread adapter screws into the filter thread on the end of the lens of your camera. The digit-T ring is attached to the eyepiece by removing the rubber eyecup, then 3 small grub screws attach it to the eyepiece. The EP is then screwed into the T Thread adapter on your camera and you're away. Sounds fiddly but it isn't too bad.

The biggest drawback I have found with the digi-T method for my camera is when the camera is pointing up or down at a steep angle, the weight of the camera overpowers the zoom motor and the camera generates a zoom error and shuts down. It powers back up again OK, but it's a nuisance and probably isn't too good for the camera really. It can be avoided by keeping the camera flatter by using a star diagonal and rotating it to suit.

I think I got my digi-T from Astro Optical Supplies, and I think I got my T thread adapter from Adorama in the US (I couldn't find one for my camera in Aus but you never know - have a look around).

Al.
Old 14-11-2006, 07:32 PM
mario chiera

I now know how to attach a camera.thanks i will try it out.
Sheeny i noticed that you have a Toucam pro .i want to get one as well or should I aim for a DSLR and want brand.I truly want to get into astrophotography.
Some suggestions please to all.

Mario
6" mak,90mm MD 290 Mead ref.heq pro 5 mount with goto
Old 14-11-2006, 08:05 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

G'Day Mario,

Yep, I have the ToUcam, and for me I think it's the way to go. Eventually I would like to get into the deep sky stuff which really means a dSLR or a dedicated astro camera, but in the meantime there are lots of lessons to be learnt!

So I find I have plenty of challenges and things to learn with the little ToUcam, for not much capital outlay. It is great for planetary and lunar stuff, and with the long exposure mod it can be pushed into some deep sky stuff and used as a guide camera for when you eventually get a dSLR or astrocamera.

Yes, it has it's limitations, but I can't complain given the meagre price! I haven't out grown it yet. (And I doubt I will until I can move to a place where I can set up my scope permanently).

I think a ToUcam is a great way to get into astro photography!

Al.