Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Seymore

Hello

Gday everyone.

Thought I would put a hello post up since I have been borrowing all your knowledge.

I live in Perth (about to move up North to some hopefully very dark sites) but am currently in Melb with work for a month and half.

I bought a second hand Vixen VL200C with GP mount. It needs a clean but is working fine (only used it one weekend so far as I have been away since buying it) managed to see Saturn's rings and show my two little ones on the first night so pretty happy with that.

I have a few questions specifically about my scope, going off my maths I have been looking at the Baader Hyperion 36 mm focal length EP, for a 4 mm exit pupil which should give me approx 1.44 degres of sky. Which I was then planning on getting a 2 x Barlow (the 2 inch ED from Bintel is on the list) which will give me an 18mm EP with 2mm Exit pupil which "should" give me the best views. Is this basically correct and will that eye piece and Barlow work in my scope ?
I have a 25mm Vixen SL (I think it was SL) EP and a 9mm version of it. the 9mm doesn't seem to be very good compared to the 25mm but I really dont know much other than what it looked like to me. Could have been the crappy air I was looking through.

I am also thinking of getting a 10-12 mm which with the Barlow will give me 5-6 for looking at the planets etc. Is there a good EP for my scope you would recommend, I dont want to spend more than about 150 on the short focal length lense. Going off what I read I am leaning towards the Baader for this as well, but that is mainly as I cant really find info saying which other EP are good for my type of scope.

Last one (for now) the mount came with both axis motors but no controller. Do I need to get the Vixen controller or will any dual axis controller work? Looking at the Vixen DD3 but dont really know anything about the motor controllers.

I should point out that although I would love to connect the DSLR to it at the moment I am only using it for Visual. I will ask a bunch of Questions about connecting the camera at a later date. Probably when the minster of war of finance hints that I might be able to spend some money on it.

Cheers

Seymore
Old 15-09-2014, 02:26 AM
Boofhead (Andrew)

Hello Seymore and

Surely is a wealth of knowledge here!