Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 29-09-2020, 03:36 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Learn the rules...

A quick perusal of Australian road rules will reveal motorists are required to give way to pedestrians.

The same applies in most other jurisdictions...in fact I was blown away by how courteous USA drivers are to pedestrians.

Yet, seems some drivers in Oz have a different idea.

While walking to my car parked at my local supermarket carpark, a female of the species (who apparently wanted to reverse onto a car space, the lack of indicators gave me zero clue to her intentions) was incensed by the fact I did not wait for her to literally get her ass into gear...and dared walk past the vacant space she had intended to reverse into.

Then there was the horn, the window down and some words from her...

OK I stopped. Thinking WTF?
We had words.

"You are kidding me!!" she says.
"Actually, I had not idea what you had intended, but you are actually supposed to giv....(I was interrupted)"

Could not get a word in.

It was hopeless.

So I abruptly ended our chat with a quote from a favorite uncle of mine.

Madam! Shut up! I don't argue with Ladies or idiots....and you and no lady!!!

Last edited by Peter Ward; 29-09-2020 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 29-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

I work in traffic control... and in our industry this kind of thing is a daily occurrence.
I usually just smile at the driver and just tell them that it's not me they need to argue with, it's the judge that needs to be convinced that they've done nothing wrong, after they've injured or killed a roadside worker (it does happen, sadly, more often that it should).
That tends to shut them up and send them on their way pretty smartly.

Last edited by Redshift13; 29-09-2020 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added extra info.
Old 29-09-2020, 05:49 PM
glend (Glen)

I love the ones that send a co-conspirator to stand in a vacant spot until they can get their car around to it. I have seen a few confrontations in Sydney provoked by this sort of behaviour. Mostly seems to happen in large Westfield Centres. Have seen it at Carindale in Brisbane once as well.
Old 29-09-2020, 05:53 PM
17particles

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I love the ones that send a co-conspirator to stand in a vacant spot until they can get their car around to it. I have seen a few confrontations in Sydney provoked by this sort of behaviour. Mostly seems to happen in large Westfield Centres. Have seen it at Carindale in Brisbane once as well.
That's when I miss my $1000 car. It was immune to retaliation.
Old 30-09-2020, 10:48 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
A quick perusal of Australian road rules will reveal motorists are required to give way to pedestrians.
Carnarvon St., Broome could be the exception........some pedestrian crossings are clearly signposted that cars have "right of way"
Old 30-09-2020, 11:29 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
While walking to my car parked at my local supermarket carpark, a female of the species (who apparently wanted to reverse onto a car space, the lack of indicators gave me zero clue to her intentions) was incensed by the fact I did not wait for her to literally get her ass into gear...and dared walk past the vacant space she had intended to reverse into.
Got knocked off balance by a reversing car out of car space years ago. Picked myself up walked to the window. I said didn't you see me back there only to get the death stare. Some people are mongrels. That's all there is to it. Eyes up and watch your step.
Old 30-09-2020, 11:39 AM
TrevorW

On the other hand I've had pedestrians keep walking behind my car in shopping centers even while they could see I'm reversing expecting me to stop then give way to them, now if you see someone is reversing wouldn't the smart thing be to go around the front of the vehicle as you the pedestrian could end up being in a blind spot if you continue to walk behind a reversing vehcile
Old 30-09-2020, 11:43 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
On the other hand I've had pedestrians keep walking behind my car in shopping centers even while they could see I'm reversing expecting me to stop then give way to them
I'll watch out for you too then Tevor
Old 30-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I'll watch out for you too then Tevor
Me too

Actually I'm not a fan of reverse parking (unless sign-posted).

It makes no sense to me having to carry/scrape your shopping past your door (and other people's cars ) to your boot, whereas, if you simply went nose in, no such drama.
Old 30-09-2020, 02:24 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Me too

Actually I'm not a fan of reverse parking (unless sign-posted).

It makes no sense to me having to carry/scrape your shopping past your door (and other people's cars ) to your boot, whereas, if you simply went nose in, no such drama.
If you're in the right aisle that has a trolley return bay that is. The only system that works is costco with its oversized parking spots but then again the trolleys are huge so... same issue.
Old 30-09-2020, 07:43 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
.....Could not get a word in....
Offer her a free ride in the A380 .....Toss her out at FL360 ....!!
Old 30-09-2020, 07:59 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

If it makes you feel a little safer my old neighbour to this day will drive around the supermarket carpark to find a space she dosnt have to reverse out of because she still cant reverse a car , 30 years and counting .

liscences issued by the local police officer were the norm back then if you could drive the block without killing anything you got the nod .
Old 01-10-2020, 02:01 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:

The same applies in most other jurisdictions...in fact I was blown away by how courteous USA drivers are to pedestrians.
I have to agree with you, as my wife and I were amazed too.

I couldn't believe how courteous USA drivers on the west coast were to both pedestrians and to other drivers.

In terms of courtesy, driving in Australia lies between the genteel courtesy of the USA and the abuse and aggressiveness I regularly get in Italy.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 01-10-2020, 05:01 PM
appiice (Ed)

Road rules

I have almost run over a copper because he walked behind from the over side of the road whilst I reversed parked into a spot, I know I should give way to him but his death wish trumped his walking in a blind spot.
As an old white male ( of no use to society any longer - apparently ) my observation is that young woman have more testosterone in them than sense and have a disproportionate sense of nothing can hurt them, if I see a car reversing or on the road I watch them, they may have the right of way but that doesn't help you when your in hospital!
Old 01-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
I have almost run over a copper because he walked behind from the over side of the road whilst I reversed parked into a spot, I know I should give way to him but his death wish trumped his walking in a blind spot.
As an old white male ( of no use to society any longer - apparently ) my observation is that young woman have more testosterone in them than sense and have a disproportionate sense of nothing can hurt them, if I see a car reversing or on the road I watch them, they may have the right of way but that doesn't help you when your in hospital!
What? No mirrors? No reversing camera?

We have an EV....it is almost silent when moving hence we rely on the reversing cameras a lot. I don't blame pedestrians for not realising the car is about to or actually is on the move. A little patience and courtesy is all that you need.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:09 PM
appiice (Ed)

Nope No camera

In Bathurst, we have useless 45 degree reverse in parking, so you have to stop in front of where you are going to park, a fair and reasonable person would see a pedestrian crossing the road towards you. A fair and reasonable pedestrian would see the car slow, stop and then start to reverse back, a fair and reasonable driver cannot possibly be expected to see a pedestrian come across a road and walk behind where you are in motion, in reverse.
I saw the copper in my right hand external mirror, I didn't see him waiting to cross the street or even crossing the street, I only saw him when he was about to walk in the space I was reversing into.
Would I be at fault if I had hit him? yes, but I wouldn't be lying on the road injured.
So, my point is, right is all and good but what good would it have done him if I had hit him and what good would it have done me to live with the knowledge I had injured or killed him - unlikely as I was moving at or below walking pace.
Ultimately we are responsible for minimising the risk to ourselves, road rules and all included.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
In Bathurst, we have useless 45 degree reverse in parking, so you have to stop in front of where you are going to park, a fair and reasonable person would see a pedestrian crossing the road towards you. A fair and reasonable pedestrian would see the car slow, stop and then start to reverse back, a fair and reasonable driver cannot possibly be expected to see a pedestrian come across a road and walk behind where you are in motion, in reverse.
I saw the copper in my right hand external mirror, I didn't see him waiting to cross the street or even crossing the street, I only saw him when he was about to walk in the space I was reversing into.
Would I be at fault if I had hit him? yes, but I wouldn't be lying on the road injured.
So, my point is, right is all and good but what good would it have done him if I had hit him and what good would it have done me to live with the knowledge I had injured or killed him - unlikely as I was moving at or below walking pace.
Ultimately we are responsible for minimising the risk to ourselves, road rules and all included.
No cameras eh? That said, the all around visibility from a model-T is actually pretty good

While I wouldn't recommend stepping behind or in front of a moving vehicle, I also seriously doubt while reversing, typically at 5-10 km hr , that you are going to kill anyone..... well maybe...if he/she decided to also lie down on the road and end it all...

Last edited by Peter Ward; 02-10-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:35 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
What? No mirrors? No reversing camera?

We have an EV....it is almost silent when moving hence we rely on the reversing cameras a lot. I don't blame pedestrians for not realising the car is about to or actually is on the move. A little patience and courtesy is all that you need.
A little patience and courtesy is all that you need.[/QUOTE]

By both parties it would seem.
Cheers
Old 02-10-2020, 11:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Pedestrian or a driver I always let a lady go first ...that was the rule I was taught to follow.
Alex
Old 02-10-2020, 11:54 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Pedestrian or a driver I always let a lady go first ...that was the rule I was taught to follow.
Alex
Good one Alex