Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-05-2024, 02:37 PM
Paul Haese

Time to get rid of the laptop in the observatory Greg. We use Mele computers at Swan Reach Imaging. They get 3M taped onto the telescope and then run a cat 5 or cat 6 cable to a cisco or smaller 8 port switch. Power is one cable from a ground box up to something like a pegasus ultimate which then powers all the other equipment. You can use an IP switch to turn off all the equipment which is all plugged into it in the ground box. You access the IP switch via it's webpage, it has a ethernet cable port for coms too. Then just run a cat 5 cable from the 9 port switch to the house. No more issues with having to go inside the observatory to operate a laptop.

BTW just watch the moisture levels with regard to the cameras you use. When I had the observatory at Clayton Bay I had to conformal coat the exposed boards in the SBIG cameras. I think Atik has this same problem too. Without the coating corrosion takes place very quickly.
Old 14-05-2024, 11:22 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Time to get rid of the laptop in the observatory Greg. We use Mele computers at Swan Reach Imaging. They get 3M taped onto the telescope and then run a cat 5 or cat 6 cable to a cisco or smaller 8 port switch. Power is one cable from a ground box up to something like a pegasus ultimate which then powers all the other equipment. You can use an IP switch to turn off all the equipment which is all plugged into it in the ground box. You access the IP switch via it's webpage, it has a ethernet cable port for coms too. Then just run a cat 5 cable from the 9 port switch to the house. No more issues with having to go inside the observatory to operate a laptop.

BTW just watch the moisture levels with regard to the cameras you use. When I had the observatory at Clayton Bay I had to conformal coat the exposed boards in the SBIG cameras. I think Atik has this same problem too. Without the coating corrosion takes place very quickly.

Good advice Paul. Thanks.

Greg.