Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Pacman79 (Michael)

Hi to all

Just got my first scope an Orion Skyquest 8 inch dob, found my first open star cluster and was hooked. Been reading the forums so I thought I should say hi. Would rather be out looking at the eclipse but guess what, had perfect weather all week, night of the eclipse cloud ahh.

Last edited by Pacman79; 08-10-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:21 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Sweet scope , and to you , hope to hear lots more from you as you learn and enjoy our hobby .
Yes open clusters in an 8 inch are mind blowing , once bitten , aye Michael nice scope to start with .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman79 View Post
Just got my first scope an Orion Skyquest 8 inch dob, found my first open star cluster and was hooked. Been reading the forums so I thought I should say hi. Would rather be out looking at the eclipse but guess what, had perfect weather all week, night of the eclipse cloud ahh.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

And Globular Clusters aren't too shabby either!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Pacman79 (Michael)

Thanks for the replies guys and yes 47 Tucanae look amazing the other night. I bought Astronomy Australia 2014 and a Planisphere to help me get a grasp of constellations and objects to observe and have been very helpful in improving my observing. I had been reading some of the forum posts and was looking at getting a sky atlas 2000.0 or Uranometria, with the size of my scope i thought 2000.0 would be the go. I look at Bintels site and was just about to click on buy when I thought why not look at Ebay. Lucky me I got Sky Atlas 2000.0 second edition deluxe for $1 plus $18 for postage, and its even got the overlays for the telrad with it.
Its a whole different ballgame looking at one of these but I cant wait to try and tick of some more of the messier list.