Old 01-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Maverick_S31 (Scott)

PHD2 Guiding Error

Hi,

By chance, would anyone be aware what might be the cause of this issue? I've tried using a different cable from the guide scope to the mount but receive the same error message.

Error:
Little or no east movement was measured, so guiding will probably be impared. Check the guide cable and use the Manual Guide tool to confirm basic operation of the mount.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:03 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have not had that error but it means PHD2 is not seeing the amount of east movement it expects. It sounds like you are using an ST4 guide cable from the camera to the mount? Do the guide rates you have set in PHD2 match the ones set in your hand controller or mount ASCOM driver (If you are using ASCOM to control the mount from a computer)

There is a "Manual guide" section in PHD2, connect the gear and run looping exposures then set a nice long guide pulse length (One second or more) and click each direction button a couple of times (Wait a few seconds between each click) and make sure the stars move in all four directions on the screen, that tests that PHD2 can actually control the mount. There may be a lag in declination due to backlash in that axis but in RA it should react to one click as guiding west speeds the mount tracking up and east slows it down rather than moving North and South which actually moves the axis in two directions.

Last edited by The_bluester; 01-12-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Startrek (Martin)

The current developers and support team of PHD2 strongly recommend Ascom Pulse Guiding ( cable straight from laptop to guide camera ) in lieu of the old method ST4 Guiding ( guide camera to mount )
This eliminates many issues that may arise during guiding , one of which could possibly be your issue !!

I can send you some important information including a procedures and check list which I put together for PHD2 guiding which may be useful in getting you guiding successfully

Let me know !
Cheers
Old 01-12-2020, 03:48 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I had the same when I tried using the Pulse guiding, no cable from guide camera to mount.
When I changed it to on-mount and had the guide camera connected to the mount with the cable, it works perfectly.
So basically I have the same issue as you, but the other method. :-)
Old 01-12-2020, 04:27 PM
Startrek (Martin)

To use Ascom Pulse Guiding ( Preferred ) Laptop to guide camera , there are a few prerequisites required -

1/ Your Mount has to support PHD2 Pulse Guiding (ie a modern mount less than 10 or 12 years old )
2/ You need the latest Ascom software installed on your Laptop

3/ You need the latest guide camera drivers installed on your Laptop

4/ Guide camera must be Ascom supported

5/ Guide camera must be PHD2 supported

6/ USB cable recommended max length 5m

Some benefits of Ascom Pulse Guiding -

1/ You can save and reuse your Calibration many times and use it in any part of the sky. With ST4 you have to Calibrate at the start of every session
2/ Automatic Calibration data retained on Meridian flip

3/ Single point of failure ( ST4 has multiple points of failure )

4/ Improved ability for PHD2 to perform a Sanity check and warn of possible problems

5/ Improved diagnostic and fault analysis with Guide Assistance and Guide Log information

6/ Less cable manangement issues and cable snags

and so on.........
Old 01-12-2020, 04:55 PM
Maverick_S31 (Scott)

Thank you for the above responses, will follow-up and let you know how I go.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:22 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

Hi Martin,
Points 1-6 all yes for me.
I think it is a setting somewhere, either in PHD2 or ASCOM setup.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:14 AM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_S31 View Post
Hi,

By chance, would anyone be aware what might be the cause of this issue? I've tried using a different cable from the guide scope to the mount but receive the same error message.

Error:
Little or no east movement was measured, so guiding will probably be impared. Check the guide cable and use the Manual Guide tool to confirm basic operation of the mount.
I have had a similar message when I have changed between a guide scope and off-axis guiding and forgotten to change the focal length for guiding. Have you checked that your setup parameters (especially focal length for guide scope) are correct?

Kevin