Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-04-2013, 07:09 PM
jjajadam (Josh)

Deep Sky Viewing

I have a 90 by 900 refractor telescope, is that even enough power to consider deep sky viewing? Im still new to this and i have no friends which enjoy astronomy so I am on my own when it comes to this. Any help would be appreciated
Old 20-04-2013, 07:43 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I would imagine the aperture will limit you to brighter objects (I have a 9.25" SCT myself) but there should be heaps of objects to keep you busy still.

To name just a couple, M42, 47 Tucanae, tarantula nebula, Omega Centauri cluster, I am sure others will chime in with heaps of stuff you should be able to get good views with through a refractor that size. You might be best to get away from city lights though to make things easier to find and easier to see.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:09 PM
jjajadam (Josh)

sweet thanks a lot for that, ill have a look tonight
Old 20-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Have a crack at some Southern Milkyway open clusters. The Jewel Box . The Jem Cluster. Southern Pleiades . Also try the Eight burst Planetary Nebula . The starfish Cluster. NGC4372 and whilst your there the DARK DOODAD!!!
Old 21-04-2013, 02:38 PM
jjajadam (Josh)

any siggestions for galaxies?
Old 21-04-2013, 03:11 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Not sure if the sombrero galaxy would be viewable, only one way to tell.
Old 21-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Hulu best bet is to bag some edge on gals or face on's that have a concentration . Try the hamburger ngc5128 or have a go at ngc4945.
Old 21-04-2013, 09:22 PM
jjajadam (Josh)

well i finally got out and got a little observing done. I think it was M78 near alnitak in the Orion Constellation that i found, unsure. I also had a look at the jewel box but just as i found it the clouds took over :/ my night ended early unfortunately
Old 23-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Josh,

From what I've come to understand over the years, a 6" aperture is about the minimum to get any real detail on DSOs. A 4" if you have some observing experience. Many DSOs are tough objects to pull out detail especially observing through light pollution. If the seeing conditions aren't great, that's an extra hurdle. Experience will yield better results.
With your telescope on viewing galaxies, perhaps you might see tiny fuzzy blobs.

Even through my 10" it can be a struggle- many of them appear as small faint grey blobs with perhaps a brighter centre (core). Even so, seeing that alone is quite exciting as they lay so far away! Some galaxies will give more detail than others- M104 and Centaurus A are favourites among many as they can show some nice details even through average seeing conditions.

Take a look here at this article I did a while back- all these objects are in the sky right now. Most (esp. the star clusters and nebulae) should be within nice grasp of your telescope. Have a go at M104 and Centaurus A anyway- you just never know. But keep trying on these two galaxies, as I said, the seeing conditions can play a large part in how they appear.

I'm just unsure about the mention about the galaxy NGC4945 in Centaurus, sorry Wes , but for two years I haven't been able to find it (albeit through light pollution) in my 10" dob and even Ron couldn't rise to the challenge at my place. But he hasn't given up! Strange though as my southerly view is a good one i.e. not looking through the city lights so the sky is better viewing.

The Eta Carina nebula will look awesome through your scope. It looks great even in my 10x60 binoculars.

Also, take a look at this thread I did: Easy and Beautiful Targets For Binos. It's designed for beginners with binoculars and small scopes. Scroll down further to post #11 on that thread and you will see that I have added more objects to the list.
The objects on this list are beautiful showpieces and easy to find. Some aren't in the sky now, but do hang onto the list for when those ones return.

All the best and have fun Josh. Astronomy is so much fun no matter what size scope one has (I get a big kick just out of bino observing!); even naked eye viewing can be incredibly exhilarating!
Old 25-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Hay Suzy. I wasn't factoring in the LP factor... so .NGC is big and close with an angular size of 19.8' x 4.0' .Thinking about it is some what diffuse. It has special place as Ron showed me my first SN there. ive yourself a chance and get away for the lights!!!!
Old 28-04-2013, 03:26 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Wes, I saw NGC 4945 at Ron's place. And I realised then why it eludes me here, it was a bit on the diffuse side for sure. The same with M83 (Southern Pinwheel)- I can only make out the core and with severe eyestrain make out something around the core that's only just barely there (no matter how many times I observed it). These two galaxies have been the biggest pain for me to observe (but at least M83 has a bright core so something at least was viewable).
He showed me Centaurus A and I literally dropped to my knees- I'll never forget that, ever!