Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 05:06 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Wink

"Really friendly & helpful", Rowena? Sorry, didn't mean to be. XXXXX's + OOOOO's. Back @ ya. L.
ps. How's Rocky?
Old 06-11-2005, 06:02 PM
rowena

air con is on explains it all really however it is cloudy today

and yes everyone on here is friendly and helpful! Where else would you find a welcoming of new members! Noo other forums i have seen welcomes members like here does!
Old 06-11-2005, 08:31 PM
atalas

Hi Jodie to IIS !
Old 09-11-2005, 07:29 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Jodie,
Nice to see more women in the ranks. You'll love this forum, and the people in it.
I recently bought a 10" GSO dob and am more than happy with it.
Please concider the weight of the scope before buying. The 10" weighs a total of about 35kg. The tube on its own weighs 17kg, and can be quite awkward to carry safely, so a well padded trolly of sorts is recomended.
Welcome to the group.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Hi Jodie, and welcome.

Didn't I see someone trying to sell their excellently set up dob in the Buy and Sell forum? And don't they live quite near you?

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Good luck,

Brian.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Twokids
Dob Dob Dob

Thanks again for your welcomes.

Thankyou Miaplacidus, I have sent him a pm and hope he gets in touch with me. I was actually hoping to be able to see this dob when I went to the viewing night as he is a member of the astronomical society that I am looking at joining.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twokids
Thanks again for your welcomes.

Thankyou Miaplacidus, I have sent him a pm and hope he gets in touch with me. I was actually hoping to be able to see this dob when I went to the viewing night as he is a member of the astronomical society that I am looking at joining.
Hi Twokids & welcome.
As we have spoken I'm just saying welcome. No I'm not a member of the MPAS. I used to be.

Hope you love your new scope
Old 10-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Twokids
Dob Dob Dob

Thanks Dave,

Now I'm just hoping for clear skies next week so I can play with my new baby.
Old 13-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Twokids
Dob Dob Dob

Update

Well, I've done it . Today I bought Dave's beautiful 10 inch dob with the Argo Navis.
I would like to publicly thank him for taking the time to show me how to use it and answer my probably silly questions .
I've had a lovely time playing with it this afternoon, just getting used to it. Sadly I had to go out to a family dinner so I had to leave it, and then it rained while I was out. It has cleared up now, but the ground is still wet so I won't be taking it out tonight.
Hopefully, we'll get some clear weather and I can take it out sometime soon and see what my new baby can do.
I'm a happy, happy girl.

Last edited by Twokids; 13-11-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 13-11-2005, 01:17 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Well done children! To the both of you. That is beautiful scope with the Argo! I think everyone who saw it in action at Star Camp was impressed (there's been a few ArgoNavis purchases since I believe). I'm sure you will have loads of fun with it. And I gather you have snapped up some of the accessories too (because I thought I was quick but then Dave told me: "sorry, sale pending").

You've got a fab new scope and I've got a whole bunch of new eyepieces. Now let's get some clear skies over here.
Old 13-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Well, I've done it . Today I bought Dave's beautiful 10 inch dob with the Argo Navis.
I would like to publicly thank him for taking the time to show me how to use it and answer my probably silly questions .
Congrats !
Thats about the most finely tuned gso dob out there, nicely modded and accessorised with nothing more to do . You have a BIG headstart over someone dragging a brand new one out of a carton.
Old 13-11-2005, 10:34 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

A square sheet of canvas on the ground, and you can plonk your scope on that without worrying about the damp.
I'm playing with the idea of laying square slabs of concrete in various places around my property so I can have multiply viewing areas.
Old 13-11-2005, 10:38 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Way to go Jodie. Congratulations. Enjoy.
Old 13-11-2005, 10:43 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Jodie, Bintel have just announced the opening of a store in Melbourne. They will be able to supply a GS dob. Bintel set up and collimate their scopes before despatch as well...
Old 13-11-2005, 10:49 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite
Jodie, Bintel have just announced the opening of a store in Melbourne. They will be able to supply a GS dob. Bintel set up and collimate their scopes before despatch as well...
Get with the program, Phil.

Quote:
Old 13-11-2005, 10:20 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome Jodie. I have a number of scopes the largest being a 12 inch DOB purchased from Bintel. I was concerned about the optics being OK but I have had (dont laugh) a 2x barlow plus a 3x barlow with a 12 mm eyepiece in the scope to push it and I was impressed with the view (It was only to detect a flaw) Personally I cant fault it and would be surprised if you did not find it to be all you expect and more. Bintel were fabulous to deal with. I bought the scope and was trying to get it out the door on a trolley when Mrs Smith (one of the owners) spotted me and insisted on driving me and the scope to Cheltenham where I was staying.. that is service of the highest order and deserves the highest praise. Andrews are on the ball also shipping on time and I have had no hassles with mail order thru them. Just do it ..you owe it to your kids.. it is for them isnt it?
alex
Old 13-11-2005, 10:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Further comment.. Bintel colminate the scope which means you can be sure to use it when you get it home..also get the delux model it has a fan (very handy) and a crayford focuser which is fantastic. Well worht the little extra cash. Also have a look at Photon Collectors images in Deep Space forums herein he uses the very same scope with amazing results.