Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-10-2005, 11:48 PM
ubcool

Hi to All

I have been checking out this forum for a few weeks now and my passion for astronomy has been rekindled since my 1st purchase of a telescope from when I was only 13 years old.
Back then it didn't last long unfortunately due to the fact that the telescope was a Kmart special 60mm refractor that started falling apart within 3 months.
Anyway my main interest is astrophotography, especially DSO and perhaps planetery as a minor interest. I have just purchased a Canon EOS 350 DSLR as I've read some positive remarks about it's low noise aspects for astrophotography.
I look forward to any suggestions and ideas on a suitable OTA and mount as from my limited knowledge and surfing the net I've narrowed it down to either a Meade LX90 or Orion ED80 and would prefer an automated GOTO setup if I went for the Orion option.

Regards,
Jim
Old 26-10-2005, 02:36 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Jim. & Welcome. Being a DOB driver myself I can't help in your choices, but there are lots here that can & will give you loads of info. Sift carefully!
They might sound a bit weird at times but they do mean well. Just watch out for ving & crew.
Do you belong to a Society/club? Lots in the Melbourne area.
L.
Old 26-10-2005, 07:30 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Welcome,

best suggestion from me ( a dob owner) is to see if you can make it too snake valley this friday - mon. We have a 4 day camp with 40 odd guys and girls and scopes. Will be a great time to have a hands on look and test drive so to speak.

Best thread i have read lately on the ed80

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=4552

here is a retailer that has just opened up

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...asp?id=MAS-058

and have a look at what chris venter shot with a ed80. please be sitting down and i insist that when you pick yourself off the floor, you take a few minutes before rushing out the door to buy one.

I bought a dob and love it, but when i saw this image, i suddenly wanted a second scope!!!

quote:

"The ED80 is awesome for astro imaging. I would suggest you save a little bit extra and get it as a package with the new HEQ5 Mount that comes with Skyscan and higher quality worm gears.

As an example of the image quality, I took this with my 300D DSLR and ED80 last year.

Higher res version here: http://www.dslrfocus.com/M42.jpg

You wont be sorry with that little scope. Its pretty darn nice to look though too

Best Regards
Chris Venter"
Old 26-10-2005, 08:00 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

and ubcool. If you're main interest is astrophotography then go for the eq mounts. Yes you can do great photography with the LX90 LX200 series but you need to buy either a wedge or a field derotator. Also the I don't think the LX90 comes with a mirror lock. Doesn't mean you can't buy a meade OTA with a mirror lock and then mount it on an eq. That's what I did.

You certainly won't go wrong with an Orion 80. Geat little scopes.
Old 26-10-2005, 08:51 AM
acropolite (Phil)

ubcool, have to agree with Ponders here. I've got an LX90, and if you're doing much visual work that would be a better choice than the ED80 for OTA, however I would suggest just buying an OTA and a suitable Eq mount. I can confirm that the LX90 doesn't come with a mirror lock. Both Meade and Celestron sell OTA only. The combination of an 8-10 inch OTA, Eq6 mount and goto controller wouldn't set you back much more than the LX90, plus you wouldn't need to buy a wedge. That said you can achieve some good results with an LX90, wedge and autoguider. Take a look at Pete's astronomy site for details on what extra's you need and the results you can expect from the LX90. http://www.users.bigpond.com/lansma/Default.htm
Old 26-10-2005, 09:20 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

nothing to add to whats been said so i'll just wave!
Old 26-10-2005, 12:06 PM
ubcool

Thanks to all of you that have replied and provided me with some specific ideas and links to steer me in the right direction. I'd love to make it this Friday but my wife just gave birth 4 weeks ago to our bab daughter and due to complications I need to support her so I will definitely be interested in the next star camp.

I've seen what's possible with the ED80 and yes I was glad I was sitting down when I saw that incredible image. The HEQ5 mount is certainly tempting so it's now just a matter of deciding which OTA: ED80 or LX90, the ED80 is a more tempting proposition as I could always upgrade later and still use the HEQ5 mount.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 26-10-2005, 12:16 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

hope everything is ok with bubs. They are precious little bundles!!

let your wife know that you little family is welcome as well, as my 5 yr old is staying with me at the camp and my 2yr and wife are coming out for a couple of nights.

It is family friendly, not just a "boys and their toys".

sunday night is a spit roast with everyone there.

no pressure, just wanted you to know that i feel the wives will have a great time too and that you will not be abandoning her, cos she can come along as well and we can all fuss over the new baby!!!
Old 26-10-2005, 12:21 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Jim and welcome. Congrats on the bubs!

Pity you can't make the Star Camp. I'm sure the Melbourne guys will be getting together in the near future. Star Camps and Star Parties are the best way to learn which scope is better for YOU.

Not too many scope shops are open at night to try them all out.

Good luck in your search.

p.s. You are very welcome to come up if circumstances change
Old 26-10-2005, 12:25 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Just in case. . . see here! http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=4907
Old 26-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

You could go out and spend a few $1000 to buy an ed80 etc, but as a visual instrument the small aperture is quite limiting and you would miss a lot compared to something bigger.

The ed80 is great for wide field imaging and limited for visual. The LX90 will be better for visual and planetary, with not so much field for dso imaging.