Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-01-2009, 07:11 PM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

i would like some advice on get a biger telescope

i want to upgrade my old telescope im looking for a dob thats of mid size any sugestions.
Old 26-01-2009, 08:00 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

10" is a nice upgrade from your nexstar6, its a nice manageable size, will gather a hell of a lot of light more than the 6" thats for sure..

I think generally speaking the major brands are much the same, be it the skywatcher/GSO etc..

You could also look at the Skywatcher collapsable 12", more aperture again, and the added convenience that it collapses in on itself, therefore requiring less storage space and less car space for transport.
Old 27-01-2009, 05:21 AM
darkskybondi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD View Post
i want to upgrade my old telescope im looking for a dob thats of mid size any sugestions.
How much do you want to spend? You can get a solid tube 10" dob for under $700, a truss 10" dob for around $800, a 12" solid tube for around the same as that, and a 12" truss for $1500..... etc...
Old 27-01-2009, 12:35 PM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

my price range is $500 to $1000 and thanks for reaplying
Old 27-01-2009, 02:54 PM
darkskybondi

So the first 3 I suggested are in your price range.. York Optical is offering a discount to IIS members (click on the link to the side of the page for details) so the prices I quoted you should be about right for them, and if
you shop around you can use those prices as leverage. I went for the 10" truss skywatcher which cost me $850 (another member got it for $800 though); I thought the solid 12" was a bit bulky for transport and the 12" truss was more than I wanted to spend considering I'd also have to buy eyepieces.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Cheers
DSB

Quote:
my price range is $500 to $1000 and thanks for reaplying
Old 27-01-2009, 04:12 PM
markcollier8 (Mark)

Rippedoff

I bought my first telescope about 6mths ago and paid $1000.00 for a 130 SLT Nexstar I wish had of been a member as I had no advice now I'm already for a bigger one the girl in the shop didnt have enough experience but it was my fault for not reseaching it has got good points thou I can rest the barrel on my lap for general gazing when I see something that looks interesting & it is tough Ive dropped it twice & it didnt break.
Old 28-01-2009, 05:49 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

the 10" solid tube is a great scope, great imaging scope, great portibility. and out of all of the dobs it would be the most flexible.
Old 28-01-2009, 11:08 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

One that has a 10:1 crayford focuser...
Old 28-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Chippy (Nick)
Phoenix has landed

A 10" dob is a great scope, but at F6 an 8" dob is pretty flexible and even more transportable. More forgiving for collimation/coma and cheapish EP's. I wouldn't rule that option out. Has a smaller central obstruction also!
Old 29-01-2009, 02:22 AM
darkskybondi

I was the the same situation recently. The 12" scopes look great and I've taken a view through them and they are nice, but the cost/benefit isn't good - too bulky, not worthy of the benefit.

I went for the skywatcher collapsible 10" dob. In hindsight I probably could have been perfectly happy with the solid tube (170 bucks cheaper too) but it does make laser collimation easier because you can easily see the secondary mirror. I imagine cleaning would be easy too.

I strongly recommend the 10" skywatcher, either solid tube or truss. They've gotten great reviews. I also looked through the GSO-branded Bintel 12" solid, it's beautiful but big. Be prepared to spend extra on a couple of improvements to the mount. If you can go for the 10" Bintel for around the same price ($680 for the Skywatcher from York) then I'd say consider that too.

My limited experience is that a 12" seems wonderful but you will be more than happy with a 10" - the price/aperture/portability equation is just right with them.

Cheers
DSB
Old 31-01-2009, 08:26 PM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

im thinking of a 16 inche meade light bridge im 13 years old
Old 31-01-2009, 08:58 PM
lesbehrens (Les)
Les

a 16" is great but my 16" gso i get a hand to carry it out side as it is heavy.
it is also tall so a step ladder mite be needed so u can view with it. remeber it is big and heavy.
les

Quote:
im thinking of a 16 inche meade light bridge im 13 years old
Old 31-01-2009, 09:17 PM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

my price range is $1000-$2000
Old 31-01-2009, 09:26 PM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

12 inche or 16 inche i dont now what to choose
Old 01-02-2009, 01:05 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Go for the 12"...it's a lot lighter than the 16" and will be easier for you to cart around and setup. Plus you won't have to need anything to stand on if you're only short and need to look through the eyepiece with the scope at or near zenith. What you'll save in cost for buying the scope, you can get yourself some good eyepieces, maybe a barlow and some photovisual filters. Plus you can get a red light torch and a few good books with any money left over.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 AM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

i think ill go for the orion skyquest xx12 intelliscope tuss dobsonian (12 inche truss tube dob) and i agree that a 16 inche is to big to carrie by my self and so ill probley not use it as much and a small scope been used collects more light then one in the garage collecting dust
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Smile

Quote:
i think ill go for the orion skyquest xx12 intelliscope tuss dobsonian (12 inche truss tube dob) and i agree that a 16 inche is to big to carrie by my self and so ill probley not use it as much and a small scope been used collects more light then one in the garage collecting dust
Good choice
Old 01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
JimmyH155

Go for a truss tube dob. The Lightbridge looks a million times better than the "other " truss dob, AND, being an Engineer, I reckon the LB truss looks so much stronger and more stable I have a 12 inch and I ALWAYS CARRY IT OUT OF MY SHED IN 2 PIECES Cant see the point of messing with wheelbarrows, trolleys etc. Sooo eeesy, and Iam an old codger
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM
TJD (Trevor)
ful time light collecter

help do i go for a light bridge or a orion sky quest both truss tube
Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Do you have a price for the Intelliscope?

The Intelliscopes have traditionally been sold with massive mark ups in Australia (a rip off IMO); yes you get the COL, but the price difference to the Lightbridge has previously meant you could get the Lightbridge and an Argo Navis for less than an Intelliscope (and the AN is better than the Orion COL)