Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:06 AM
rogerg (Roger)

How to photography the ISS + Shuttle?

OK, so I've been given the heads up that the shuttle + ISS combo is going to be overhead (my location) at 6:46 AM tomorrow morning, which is a convenient time for me to check it out.

Is there any easy way to photograph the fast moving objects? I have an LX200 & webcam & ccd and all that, what's going to work, how can I make the scope track it well enough to capture something on the webcam?

Is there any way to plug in the vectors and once it's above the horizon get the scope to start tracking?

Thanks for any tips! If all else fails I'll just look at it with my eyeball

Roger.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I don't know if it will track accurately enough, i'm sure you can download the latest ephemeris into your LX200, but you'd want to test it first.

From all the threads i've read on various forums, people have their webcam/camera ready to go (or already running), and use their (very accurately aligned) finderscope to track the object. So it's a matter of keeping the point of light centered in your finderscope, and with any luck, some or most of the frames will be in the FOV.

I think judging exposure will be the hard part, as you only get one shot at it.

Maybe "auto" exposure will work best? So that you might get some frames with a bit underexposure, and some with a bit overexposure, and you can combine them to get the faint details from the overexposed ones, and the regular details from the underexposed one.

I dunno though, just thinking out loud. I've never tried it.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:23 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I wonder if you could autoguide on it? If not if you could find out how fast it is moving in sidereal and manually track it?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:35 PM
h0ughy (David)

USe this programme I got it to do this exact same thing.

IMPORTANT: Time is critical. Ensure your computer's date/time setting is accurate to the second if possible. Various software is available on the Internet for accurate adjustment of your clock.

Accurate 2-star alignment of the telescope should be performed.

1. Enter Location Parameters

Up to three separate locations can be defined. Click an option button to define location 1, 2 or 3. In the site name text box enter a location description. Enter the UTC time offset which is the time difference in hours from Universal Coordinated Time (UTC ) or also called Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Be sure to include adjustments for day light saving time when applicable. For instance, Eastern Standard Time would be -5 and Eastern Daylight Savings Time would be -4. Enter your latitude as accurately as possible. A southern latitude should be entered as a negative value. Latitude can be read off a map or more accurately from a GPS unit. Enter your longitude. A western longitude must be entered as a negative value. Do not enter a longitude greater than 180 or less than -180. Values are entered as degrees (and decimal points of a degree.) For example a latitude of 43 degrees and 42 minutes would be entered as 43.7 (43+(42/60)). Enter your altitude in meters.

Hint: All longitudes and UTC settings in North America should both be negative values.

2. Load a TLE File.

The NASA/Norad 2 Line Element (TLE) files contain parameters describing the orbit of satellites. They are needed for the program to calculate satellite positions. Always use the newest files as possible. Files can be downloaded from http://www.space-track.org. Once registered at Space Track, you can use Satellite Tracker to automatically retrieve TLE files. Download new files daily if possible. Use of older files will lead to inaccurate results. (Note: The visual.txt TLE file in your original download is very out dated and is for the demonstration of program functionality only!)

To load a file, click the Load File button. Files usually are of type ".TLE" but may also be of type ".TXT". Once a file is selected positions are calculated for each satellite in the file.

3. Connect to the Telescope.

Using a proper cable connect the RS232 port on the telescope to your computer's COM port 1 or COM Port 2. Click the [Connect] button.

In the 'Telescope'-'Interface Protocol' menu option, set to Meade LX200' for LX200 scopes only. Use 'LX200 Compatible' for other non-LX200 telescope mounts which have a LX200 protocol such as Astro-Physics. AutoStar users can set to AutoStar 497 or AutoStar 494. AutoStar 495 users should select the AutoStar 497 setting. LX200GPS telescopes can use the AutoStar 497 interface for leap-frog tracking or the LX200GPS interface for continuous tracking.

Note for AutoStar users: Under menu option "Satellite" and "Create View Plan TLE File" a custom TLE file can be created and then downloaded to the AutoStar using the Meade AutoStar Update program. Also consider adjusting the "AOS/LOS at ?? Elevation" setting in the Preferences to match the lowest visible elevation at your site.

NexStar GPS, 8i and 5i telescopes with HC v1.6 and MC v4.1 firmware can use the "NexStarGPS Continuous Tracking Interface". Earlier firmware versions can only 'leap frog' track. (Note: This interface is not compatible with the NexStar 5/8 scopes. A beta version interface is available in the current release.)

Celestron Ultima 2000 and earlier firmware versions of NexstarGPS telescopes are only capable of 'leap frog' tracking through the RS232 interface. When using the NexStarGPS the 'Tracking Method' should be set to the furthest right setting ('Leap Frog').

4. Selecting a Satellite

Various options are available to filter down available objects to view in the "Select Object" section. Try starting with "Low Altitudes", "Above Horizion", and "In Sun Only". Click the [Refresh Object List] button often (preferably each time before selecting an object).

Select an object from the "Object" combobox and click the [Start Tracking] button. Usually timing needs to be adjusted. Try adjusting from -5 to 5 seconds (by using the [Delay] and [Advance] buttons until the satellite comes into view. (Watch the eclipse/sun status, an eclipsed object will not be visible.)

NOTE: An alignment adjustment should be rarely needed. This adjustment may be needed if the telescope has not been accurately aligned or using higher magnifications. Because the degree of misalignment will vary along the path of the satellite the adjustment may need to be changed during tracking.

Version 1.1.8 and higher allow the user to adjust the Timing and Alignment using a joystick. Before each session make sure the joystick is properly calibrated (go to Windows Control Panel and Game Controllers). In Version 1.1.9 and higher, tracking can be started and stopped using the joystick trigger.

Tracking may also be adjusted using the mouse in a special mouse alignment dialog.

A viewing plan for the evening can be created by clicking the [Batch Predict] button in the 'TLE File' frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (lx200traker (Large).JPG)
123.1 KB205 views
Old 11-07-2006, 05:41 PM
rogerg (Roger)

wow, thanks h0ughy, sounds like exactly the thing.

Not quick to work thorugh, I hope I get time tonight to have a play with it before tomorrow morning!

Roger.
Old 19-05-2008, 04:52 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Satellite Tracker Software... now freeware

Digging up an old but useful thread.....

Satellite Tracker is now Freeware!

Go to satellite tracker yahoo group (and join).... "setup .exe" file is now available in files section:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/satellitetracker/

The original site is no longer...but from memory it supported quite a few scopes...LX200 being the generic. Sorry I don't have a list of all scope supported.

edit
It supports EQ6 using EQMOD...you need a file called EQMODLX from yahoo EQMOD group.
Old 19-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Rob_K

Good luck with it Roger! I think Mike summed it up pretty well as far as most of the ISS postings here go. Webcam on and recording, chase the dot, exhilarating stuff!! Focus and exposure can be a bit of a guess, whatever method you use (tracked/untracked). A moon in the sky helps for both - focus on moon, set for moon slightly over-exposed, and take note of your settings for fine-tuning in future attempts.

However tracking would be the ideal, and Spaceweather just had some astonishing tracked ISS images on their website.

Hope MattyP responds to this thread - he's got some great images lately. My two 'successful' attempts (untracked) have been exciting, but with very ordinary results image-wise, LOL! But it's the challenge of it really!

Cheers -
Old 19-05-2008, 05:48 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

Chasing the ISS becomes addictive and a challenge!

I manually track it and find a Telrad works best (for me) Just hold that sucker in the red dot and hang on!

Just make sure you have your webcam capture software turned on..I did a 2 minute track which felt absolutely brilliant before I realised my cam wasn't on
Old 19-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Roger,

To start off, the best advice I could give you is don't rush and stay calm. Unlike me, I get overly excited whenever I see the ISS and I almost always forget to do something.

In my most recent attempt at imaging the ISS I was in a total rush. I had less than 25 minutes to setup and I almost forgot to start the camera and focus the scope.

Anyway, if you are going to manually track the ISS, I suggest you accurately align you finderscope so you have the best chance of capturing the ISS. A fast shutter speed might help to freeze the ISS on frame and the rest is up to you.

Good luck.
Old 20-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Cookie Monster
lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtuna View Post
I manually track it and find a Telrad works best (for me) Just hold that sucker in the red dot and hang on!
Any ideas on viewing the ISS through the telescope?
(at the limit of useful magnification)

All I can think of for is to find a star it's going to pass in front of, point the telescope at that, then watch it whizz past. Perhaps I could get a friend to try and hold the sucker in the red dot.
Old 20-05-2008, 10:43 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Hey guy's,

Thanks for the extra tips... but I'm not in the 'webcam game' these days, hopefully others will find the info in this thread useful

(my question was posted back in 2006)

Roger.
Old 20-05-2008, 10:47 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Hey guy's,

Thanks for the extra tips... but I'm not in the 'webcam game' these days, hopefully others will find the info in this thread useful

(my question was posted back in 2006)

Roger.

I must be blamed for digging up the old thread.

I only did so as it had reference to using the "Satellite Tracker" software...which has now become Freeware!

Sorry for any confusion but I did state that above.
Old 20-05-2008, 11:32 AM
hikerbob (Bob)

ISS group on Yahoo

I get emails from an ISS group on Yahoo internationalspacestation@yahoogrou ps.com which amongst other things covers a lot of imaging of the ISS.

The latest email includes the following which is relevant to this thread

"ISS MARATHON: The 2008 "ISS Marathon" gets underway this week when the International Space Station spends three days (May 21-23) in almost-constant sunlight. Sky watchers in Europe and North America can see the bright spaceship gliding overhead two to four times each night. The ISS is as
bright as Venus or Jupiter, so even people in light-polluted cities can see
it. Please use our new and improved simple Satellite Tracker to find out
when to look: http://spaceweather.com/flybys

SPACE STATION MOVIE: Today's edition of spaceweather.com features a must-see movie of the International Space Station flying over Germany on May 12th. Although it looks like footage from a satellite or high-powered telescope, the movie was made by an amateur astronomer using a backyard 5-inch refractor. As a result of ongoing construction (every shuttle flight in
recent months has added a new piece to the ISS), the space station is now a wide and easy target for amateur-class telescopes. Catch the show at
http://spaceweather.com. "

There is a similar group for the shuttle.
Old 20-05-2008, 04:56 PM
netwolf

Bob,

I think you mean the shot by Dirk, if so check out this link he emailed me also done my him.

http://www.astroewers.de/index/raums...iss0802091.htm
If you think the picture is good download and watch the movie.

Regards
Fahim
Old 20-05-2008, 05:15 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
Any ideas on viewing the ISS through the telescope?
(at the limit of useful magnification)

All I can think of for is to find a star it's going to pass in front of, point the telescope at that, then watch it whizz past. Perhaps I could get a friend to try and hold the sucker in the red dot.
Can't help you there I'm sorry..I've only ever seen it as a flash wizz through my view finder. It goes through too quick to see any sort of detail