Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Alphastara

Smile Newbie!

Hello All
We've just purchased our first telescope a Skywatcher 130x1000 reflector EQ. Had our first few looks at the moon and jupiter and love it!!

Any advice suggestions etc warmly welcomed as we are very new to this..... look forward to becoming part of the community

Angela & Chris
Alphastara
Old 18-08-2007, 09:24 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Welcome Angela and chris, a great forum and lotsa people to help.

There is a Tasmanian get together at ross next month, i will try and post the dates.
Old 18-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Alphastara

Hello David

Thank you for the Welcome. Would love to hear about the Ross get together... Thank you

Chris & Angela
Old 19-08-2007, 06:46 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

HI Chris and Angela,

Welcome to IceInSpace! That telescope will be enough to get you started - I hope the EQ mount is not too wobbly. Is it motorised?

All reflectors need collimation from time to time - so this is a skill you need to learn. You need a cheshire/sight-tube to help you collimate, and then lots of reading and practise It doesn't have to be a scary prospect.

Get a planisphere, and a red-light torch, and a comfy chair to sit on while observing. The "stellar seat" is a great dedicated astro chair, but many people use an ordinary gas-lift stool.

The main thing is to keep asking questions and we'll be more than happy to help! Get along to the local meets if you can - you can look through other types of telescopes and get help collimating, too. It's a much more rewarding hobby when you can share it with other people.
Old 19-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Welcome Chris & Angela, you have joined a great forum with lots of people that will be able to help you along in this wonderful pastime.

Have you chased down any globular clusters or nebulae yet? They are always spectaular sights.

Cheers
Old 19-08-2007, 08:33 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Hi Guys,

i think it is on the 15th September at ross, starting in the arvo. There was talk it was on the 22nd, but I will check

http://ast.n3.net/
Old 19-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Alphastara

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
HI Chris and Angela,

Welcome to IceInSpace! That telescope will be enough to get you started - I hope the EQ mount is not too wobbly. Is it motorised?

All reflectors need collimation from time to time - so this is a skill you need to learn. You need a cheshire/sight-tube to help you collimate, and then lots of reading and practise It doesn't have to be a scary prospect.

Get a planisphere, and a red-light torch, and a comfy chair to sit on while observing. The "stellar seat" is a great dedicated astro chair, but many people use an ordinary gas-lift stool.

The main thing is to keep asking questions and we'll be more than happy to help! Get along to the local meets if you can - you can look through other types of telescopes and get help collimating, too. It's a much more rewarding hobby when you can share it with other people.

Hello, thank you for the welcome and advice. I am assuming there would be plenty of advice on this forum abou collimating? Yes the telescope we have is motorised.

Thank you again for the welcome.... we are lookin forward to getting to know our universe and the forums hehe

Angela & Chris
Old 19-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Alphastara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Welcome Chris & Angela, you have joined a great forum with lots of people that will be able to help you along in this wonderful pastime.

Have you chased down any globular clusters or nebulae yet? They are always spectaular sights.

Cheers

Hello, Thank you for the welcome.... The Globular Clusters and or Nebulae are on our list to find tonight .... Bring on the night hehe and a clear one too!!

THanks again
Angela & Chris
Old 19-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Alphastara

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpretorius View Post
Hi Guys,

i think it is on the 15th September at ross, starting in the arvo. There was talk it was on the 22nd, but I will check

http://ast.n3.net/

THank you for that.... sounds good.. we will try and attend that Are there many Tassie members around?
Old 19-08-2007, 05:02 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphastara View Post
THank you for that.... sounds good.. we will try and attend that Are there many Tassie members around?
there is a bunch of at least 5 of us in lton and the mt canopus mob down south.

The ross meeting would be a great one to meet the southern team, and us northerners
Old 22-08-2007, 10:50 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

an update re the ross get together
-------------------------
Hullo Bert,
To try to answer your queries:
1) Brian Leahy, our member who suggested solar observing, plans to start at 3pm; he will arrive before then to setup. Observing will be in the field beside the town hall
2) Phil Watkins, our President, still plans to have a 45 minute general meeting in Ross town hall - 4 pm to 4.45 pm It is debatable how many members of the public might attend this, but this is primarily for AST members.
3) Re accommodation, the AST has not made any bookings, and it is really up to individual members to arrange this if required - as happened at last joint meeting - some southerners stayed in Launceston, others made a late night return trip. One thing we have discovered - there seems nowhere other than the local pub to get a quick evening meal in Ross.
4) On Sep 15, sunset is 5.59pm (in Hobart anyway), so a daylight setup shouldn't be difficult.
Regards, Bob
Old 22-08-2007, 03:27 PM
astro_nutt

And another big HI and welcome to you Chris and Angela!!..lots of great folk here..Cheers!
Old 22-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Popeye (Bert)
Popeye

Newbie!

G'day Chris & Angela. I'm the 'Burt' that the e-mail posted by David was addressed to. Actually it's 'Bert' (I hate Albert!)
I will be in Ross that afternoon as I will be setting up my Coronado PST for solar viewing and then later on the 'other' scope for night viewing so I will look forward to seeing you and let's hope for 'clear skies!'
Cheers!
Bert
Old 23-08-2007, 12:32 AM
wolfman

Hi Guys, hope it brings you lots of good times.
Old 23-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Alphastara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
G'day Chris & Angela. I'm the 'Burt' that the e-mail posted by David was addressed to. Actually it's 'Bert' (I hate Albert!)
I will be in Ross that afternoon as I will be setting up my Coronado PST for solar viewing and then later on the 'other' scope for night viewing so I will look forward to seeing you and let's hope for 'clear skies!'
Cheers!
Bert

Hey Bert
Thanks for the post. Sounds great. We are going to do our best to get up there and have a look through some scopes etc see what we are doing wrong this far hehe..

Thanks and hope to see you on the 15th
Angela & Chris
Old 23-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Alphastara

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_nutt View Post
And another big HI and welcome to you Chris and Angela!!..lots of great folk here..Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Hi Guys, hope it brings you lots of good times.

Thank you both of you for the welcome
Old 23-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Alphastara

Meant to also mention we've taken a few pictures... nothing compared to some of them out there but we are happy with them as beginners

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=740827462

Youshould be able to view a few of them there.